Home
My buds from Louisiana showed up with loads of great food (only reason I invite them), and lots of cold weather gear......we needed it to say the least. Temps ranged from 6* to 25* with an ever present 10-20mph wind. Chill factors were brutal for us hot weather guys. 3 of the 4 of us managed to kill bucks, from 144"-157". Weird year......some days looked like bucks were really on the does, other days not the least bit interested. Must still be a bit early. I'll try to post some pics and more facts later in case anyone is interested.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'll try to post some pics and more facts later

No, do it NOW. grin
I can emphasize about the cold, last Wed. morning at 6:30am it was -14 degrees for the Friday of Colorado 4th season deer. I kept moving to keep warm. Every step you squeaked cause the snow was so cold and dry. With all of the noise I only had 4 deer moving the whole day and none had antlers.
Frozen, far N TX Panhandle. Apologies for sorry pics....too cold to pose much...

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Sako A7 7mmRM, 150 Nosler Partition, Burris FFII scope, 140 yard shot DRT.

Yours truly. Set up half way between creek bottom and a wheat field on neighboring property that are approximately 1000 yards apart. Nosler M48 7mm08, VX3 3.5-10x40 (believe it or not it held POI) 140 NAB, Leupy GR HD 10x42 bins, 200 yards, caught lung and off shoulder, deer ran about 60 yards and died.

Tikka 695 7mmRM, 160 Nosler Partition, VX3 3.5-10x40 (another one that actually held zero long enough to kill something) Leupy 8x42 GR HD bins, 160 yds, dead after a 40 yard sprint.

Wow, nice bucks JG!
JGRaider: Congrats on the dandy Bucks for you and your friends!
One day last week I kicked open the door on the VarmintMobile to head out after Whitetail here in Montana and the temperature was a balmy 17 degrees BELOW zero!
Yesterday I was cleaning a nifty 10 point Whitey just as the sun rose and it was minus 10 degrees.
I literally could only work on cleaning the Buck for 3 minutes or so til I had to stop and warm my bloody fingers.
Many happy returns of the day for you and your friends.
Keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Nice! If that is what the cold does for you we can ship you more from MN! ;-)
Nice bucks JG! Thanks for getting those up right away! smile
Well done Raider worth braving the cold wind for.. nice bucks smile
Well done once again. Congrats!!

That wind up there is relentless.
Nice 7mm ruined some deers days.
Awesome bucks once again JG!! Congrats!
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Did you find some GR 10x42 or reclaim yours from the nephew?
Some good folks here on the 24HCF gave me a heads up on another pair, so I snagged them. Great stuff.
Really a fine looking buck JG - and taken with a 7MM-08 so even better:)
That's good stuff JG.
JG, I think you cut that cape a little short. smile
Very nice! Looks like some neat country to chase whitetails in. Much different than the small patch hardwoods we hunt here.
Originally Posted by eyeball
JG, I think you cut that cape a little short. smile

That was the quickest skinning and deboning job I've ever done... smile Good thing I had euro mount on my mind!
Well done gents. Always look forward to the hunt results in your neck of the woods.

Wayne
Thanks for the kind words. BTW and FWIW, I worked up that 7-08/140accubond/42g Varget load in 75* weather. Out of curiosity I shot only one shot ('cause I was freezing my azzz off) in 8*/0*chill factor weather and POI was exactly the same....1.7"@100.
What is the velocity of that load?

Thanks
It was 2820 @ 75*
Nice work JG. I didn't know it got that cold recently. You guys had to weather some pretty cold temps. It's not the temps for me...it's the west Texas wind that goes right through you. powdr
Congratulations
I hear you. It was -12 to -14 every morning up here with 25 mph winds!
JG, if I bring chili can I be your friend? grin
Nice bucks!

And BTW, that's pretty damn chilly no matter where you're at. Cold typically ain't so bad until a wind cuts right through ya, then you're fugged!

Nice bucks, congrats! That first pic looks more like eastern Montana mule deer country than Texas whitetail land.

JG, do you still have that little 8x32 Trinnie I sold you? I kind of miss that bino, it had such a good feel in the hand.
Congrats on a bunch of nice bucks and sticking out the weather!

Nice bucks JG.

I drove back from Montana just ahead of that storm. I know exactly how cold that air was!

smile
Awesome bucks.

Not sure I would have hunted in that weather though.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire