Home
Posted By: DJTex A Special Hunt with My Daughter - 11/27/14
Howdy, all.

It's been a good while since I've posted much about our family's hunting adventures (or much else for that matter - life sometimes crowds out little luxuries, and I've been in one of those seasons) - but I've checked in from time to time and enjoyed seeing stories about your hunts and those of your families, and I wanted to contribute a little something again.

While it has been a busy time with some unexpected challenges, we haven't stopped spending time together as a family hunting - nor have I stopped slipping out by myself to hunt from time to time for the kind of time and fellowship with the Almighty that only hunters understand.

A couple of years ago, one of my daughters and I chased a mature 4.5-5.5 year old, big framed 6 point. We saw him late - after the rut - for the first time, and he was pretty cagey and hard to hunt. I never got her on him during the rest of that season, and we barely laid eyes on him after that first sighting. I really wanted her to get him - for her pleasure and fun and because I really thought he was a good deer to kill. He was one of the biggest framed 6's I had ever seen in the Texas Hill Country.

The following season, I was pretty eager to find him again (obviously...grin) and I felt like we needed the rut to help our IQ's match up a little better with his. We kept our eyes peeled and stayed out of bedding areas - hunted the edges where we could slip in and out without a deer ever knowing we were around.

I don't know as much as many about lots of hunting, but one thing that chasing whitetails on low fenced, relatively small acreage with hunting pressure all around has taught me is to do my best to hunt them with them knowing I'm doing it. Hunting with young hunters, that means finding places to see deer feeding and traveling and chasing does where we can watch them without them knowing it - finding places that we can get to and get out of without blowing any deer out is pretty important.

It helps that we're around the place a lot to see deer, and that I've hunted it since I was a kid - when I was turned loose early and given all the freedom I could handle by a Dad who trusted me a bunch - more than I deserved in fact. But I knew what a privilege it was and tried not to abuse it.

Well, I enjoyed quite a few hunts with my sweet daughter and we saw lots of deer and some young bucks. I was wondering if the buck we were chasing had made the year when a doe not only evened the playing field - she tilted it pretty sharply in our favor. The old buck was with her in a flat not a quarter mile from the house I was raised in, and we had the wind in our face.

My little gal got on him with the .223 she had used to put lots of does and spikes and even an axis doe in the freezer, and she had a case of buck fever that any of us would have been proud of. There was just no way she was able to shoot the deer when he first came out, but the good Lord kept that doe out there feeding for more than 10 minutes - probably 10 times longer than we had ever seen the buck before that - and he wouldn't leave her.

I gave her a calm down/you can do it speech that I thought would have convinced David he could whip Goliath, and she finally settled down. It helped that the little doe cut the distance between us from a couple hundred yards down to a hundred. We waited until he turned perfectly broadside, and she drilled him dead center through both shoulders and dropped him in his tracks.

He had added another point, and was still a really big framed buck, and there was no ground shrink. A really pretty, mature buck - a very nice deer for the Texas Hill Country and a dandy one to get killed. Her first mature buck, and he's going on the wall.

[Linked Image]

Her Granddaddy - who has been so kind to let us hunt the old place, and who is about as proud as can be of his granddaughter (as if you can't tell)!

[Linked Image]

Big bodied old buck - 5.5 at least - he might be 6.5.

[Linked Image]

I was a lot older than she was before I killed a deer this nice, but she sure deserved a good deer and a good hunt. God couldn't have given me a better daughter. Whatever trials He allows in this old life, He always treats me lots better than I deserve.

[Linked Image]

Have a few more hunts to share as time permits, but hope y'all enjoy this little adventure and have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving!

DJ

Awesome. Great job and wonderful story.
Good stuff.

Congrats to the young lady.
Congratulations
Good to see you post again DJ!

Great story and congratulations to your little girl!

Bill
Good to see you post DJ. .
Beautiful photos, and a great story too.
Awesome, great story and all the more meaningful that the experience was shared with family. Congrats!

Eric
DJ-

Pretty little girl with a pretty big buck -
thank you for sharing the hunt with us.

Tis good to see you around again!
Much obliged to all for the kind words, pards. Glad y'all will still let me chime in around here!

Guess I'm rusty - bullet was a 53 TSX, and he couldn't stop it. We've never caught one in a truckload of whitetails.

DJ
Awesome, I started my daughter out with the .223 and Barnes bullets. That seems to be a good combination for youngsters. Tell your daughter great job!
Good for her. Congrats.
Her smile tells it all.
Very nice buck! Always enjoy these threads. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for sharing the pictures and story. Best wishes to all of you for many more memorable hunts together.
I bet my kids have killed more deer with 53 TSX's & 60 partitions & plain ole Hornady 55's out of 223's than lots of grown folks flinching from more gun than they need.

It's been fun watching the little stunt shooters who don't even know what a stunt shooter is and who are confident they can kill anything with a 223.

DJ
Congrats to your daughter and you too! I love seeing the kids involved. Nice story and dandy buck!
Originally Posted by tx270
Good to see you post again DJ!

Great story and congratulations to your little girl!

Bill

I couldn't have said it better! Congratulations to you and the young lady. The photographs with her father and her grandfather and that great buck will be family treasure for years to come.

God Bless.
CT
Originally Posted by DJTex
I bet my kids have killed more deer with 53 TSX's & 60 partitions & plain ole Hornady 55's out of 223's than lots of grown folks flinching from more gun than they need.

It's been fun watching the little stunt shooters who don't even know what a stunt shooter is and who are confident they can kill anything with a 223.

DJ

Add my name to the list of folks happy to see you posting again! Good stuff from you, as always!
That is the best hunt--taking the kids out...or fishing
Awesome buck and a great story. Congrats to the whole family for a great hunt.
Congrats Don! Saw your Dad at the Alumni Band game and wondered how you were doing.
That's awesome, as usual, for you and the kiddo DJ. A huge kudos and congrats from here! Love the photos.
Man that's awesome. Very nice buck!
Pards,

I sure appreciate y'all keeping my spot at the 'Fire around. I know I haven't contributed much lately, and I'm kind of humbled at the kind words and warm welcome from old friends.

Really appreciate the kind words on the photos and story, and am glad y'all are enjoying the hunt.

It's fun to relive it and kind of document and preserve it while memories are fresh, and I'm glad to get to share it with y'all.

Have a few more as I can find time.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

DJ
Wonderful!
Great story and pictures. particularly enjoy the smile on grandpas face.

Thanks for posting and happy "American thanksgiving" as we call it up here.

GRF
That's what it's all about.
Wow man lovely hunting partner you have there and gorgeous buck!

Great reminder of the gratitude we all ought to possess; great post.
DJ,

Your posts are always something to look forward to. Have missed you on the Fire and don't be a stranger. Still wondering how you've done with the 7-08 Montana, 120 TTSX and Big Game load! More pics!
DJTex;
Thanks for sharing your daughter's hunt with us - it's good to see you posting again too.

Please send along congratulations to your daughter on that very fine buck. cool

You of course get my customary tip of the hat for ensuring this hunt, like so many others in the past, actually took place.

Thanks again I do miss your posts and it's good to read them again. All the best to you and your fine family this Thanksgiving.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
DJ,

Your posts are always something to look forward to. Have missed you on the Fire and don't be a stranger. Still wondering how you've done with the 7-08 Montana, 120 TTSX and Big Game load! More pics!

Marty, I think another Texas buck might have fallen to that combo...

Great post DJ.
Excellent! Thank You for sharing it.
Terrific story and great pictures - congratulations to your daughter on a fine buck, and to you and your Dad.
Good stuff here. Congrats to you both and thanks for the post.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DJTex

DJ

Add my name to the list of folks happy to see you posting again! Good stuff from you, as always!

Thanks, Poobah. The little boy in the picture you like has grown a little, and he's not letting his sisters outdo him by too much...

They keep prowling around with me and giving me new adventures and fun to write about...I think some pics of his buck might be next to be next.

DJ
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Congrats Don! Saw your Dad at the Alumni Band game and wondered how you were doing.

Howdy, Dan. Dad's going strong - going to get his knees worked on and I probably won't be able to keep up with him after that.

Hope you and your family are well!

DJ
Originally Posted by tomk
That is the best hunt--taking the kids out...or fishing

Couldn't agree more! Thank you!

DJ
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's awesome, as usual, for you and the kiddo DJ. A huge kudos and congrats from here! Love the photos.

Thanks a bunch! I'm rooting for you on your quest for the big one!

DJ
Originally Posted by RNF
Awesome buck and a great story. Congrats to the whole family for a great hunt.

Thank you, sir!
Originally Posted by randolph45
Man that's awesome. Very nice buck!

Thanks, Randolph!

Your avatar cracks me up...one of the great ones!

DJ
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Wonderful!

Thanks, Texncal - glad Texas finally won out - like there was any doubt...grin.

DJ
Originally Posted by efw
Wow man lovely hunting partner you have there and gorgeous buck!

Great reminder of the gratitude we all ought to possess; great post.

GRF & Micro - Really appreciate your kind words...

EFW - Have to agree on all counts - but I'm biased!

DJ
DJ,

Good to catch up, Marty! Thanks for your kind words. Sam's right - that 7-08 Montana is death with the 120's - either factory Vortex or my Big Game load. I like my handloads better, but the Vortex shoots silly good if it is a little less on velocity...Have a few pics of what she's done the last couple of years that I'll try to get to if I can catch y'all up on the kids' exploits a bit!

Here's a little preview of one from last year...

[Linked Image]

I know, the kid's pics are a lot more interesting...grin.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Congrats to your daughter and you too! I love seeing the kids involved. Nice story and dandy buck!

Thank you, sir!

DJ
Originally Posted by BC30cal
DJTex;
Thanks for sharing your daughter's hunt with us - it's good to see you posting again too.

Please send along congratulations to your daughter on that very fine buck. cool

You of course get my customary tip of the hat for ensuring this hunt, like so many others in the past, actually took place.

Thanks again I do miss your posts and it's good to read them again. All the best to you and your fine family this Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Thanks so much! I've enjoyed watching your family grow and seeing y'all's hunts as you've shared them the last little while. I always appreciate your posts and the gracious and mannerly tone you always bring to any post in which you participate.

I hope you are enjoying a great season with them!

DJ
Originally Posted by SamOlson
DJ,

Marty, I think another Texas buck might have fallen to that combo...

Great post DJ.

Thanks, Sam. Haven't posted a pic of the one I killed the other day, but I'll get to it...grin.

How about you find a big one first?

Hope y'all are well.

DJ
Originally Posted by davidlea
Good stuff here. Congrats to you both and thanks for the post.

Marc, Odessa, David - Thanks, guys! Glad y'all enjoyed the post - my pleasure to share the story and a few pictures...in fact - Think I'll get to work on another one or two.

Y'all have a good one!

DJ
Envious of your experience. Keep it up.
Thank you, sir! Will do, Lord willing!!

DJ
Great story and especially the pics! You document and share the experience extremely well! Congrats to you and your daughter!
Great buck! Congrats!
Nice bucks and a great story. Congratulations to the both of you.
Pointer,

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoy writing about theses hunts - reliving them, the enjoyment others get, and getting the pictures saved and stories in writing to be enjoyed for years to come. Glad you enjoyed it.

'Loader,

Thank you, sir! Hope to chase something like the one in your avatar some day!

'Gravy,

Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed the pictures & story! Will pass congrats along.

DJ
© 24hourcampfire