Home
Posted By: superdave Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
My buddy found a broken antler shoved through the nasal cavity and into the roof of the mouth of this muley buck. Skin had grown over, nobody noticed until it was ready to soak for a euro mount. Ouch!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: davidlea Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
That had to hurt......
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
Makes my nose hurt!!
Posted By: ejo Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
I took a WT buck a couple of years ago with a similar issue. I never noticed the antler but the taxidermist found it once he caped the skull. It measure 3.5 inches and never seemed to affect the deer. Tough animals!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
never seen that before!!
Posted By: shaman Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
I took a buck back in 2005 that was hobbling on 3 legs. I thought it was wounded-- turned out to be a long-standing impairment.

The antler on the other side from the withered leg was gnarly, and it was growing back down towards the skull, leaving a seeping wound in the scalp. Ouch.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: mmgravy Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
Ouch!!!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
Very interesting.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Antler through the nose - 11/28/14
i have a pic somewhere of one a buddy killed on the farm next to me that had a piece of another deers antler stuck thru its skull on top of its head. i'll try to find it.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Antler through the nose - 11/30/14
have talked to guys that shot bucks with a missing eye from fighting other bucks.
Posted By: passport Re: Antler through the nose - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by superdave
My buddy found a broken antler shoved through the nasal cavity and into the roof of the mouth of this muley buck. Skin had grown over, nobody noticed until it was ready to soak for a euro mount. Ouch!

[Linked Image]

How in the hell did that happen?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Antler through the nose - 11/30/14
I'd say it's safe to say 'poosie' had something to do with that. laugh
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Antler through the nose - 11/30/14
Interesting story and photo.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Antler through the nose - 12/03/14
i've seen lots of bucks killed with only one good eye.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Antler through the nose - 12/03/14
Originally Posted by Jericho
have talked to guys that shot bucks with a missing eye from fighting other bucks.

Pard figured that out on his Mule Deer this year when he went to cape out the eye and the eyeball was pushed way back into the socket.
© 24hourcampfire