Home
Posted By: ringworm he's out there...right now!!! - 12/21/14
Just woke up...I don't do but 5-6 hours a night and the wife and I retired early last night, yum.
So I was up an hour ago glassing the pasture from the bedroom window and the big buck is about 60 yards from the house right now alone just browsing.
He showed up the night after I killed what I thought was the best buck I had...certainly the best one I had on camera all year.
Now this mutant has me wound tighter than a snare drum.
He funky. Has a base kicker on his right brow and a crab claw on his left main beam and some sore of crushed or deformed g3.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

So I'm sitting here, drinking coffee and trying to decide how to sneak out and shooting light and put an AMAX in his neck.
I'm guessing 4.5 years old. Season ends Dec 31 so he's made it through the roughest part of the year without getting shot or hit by a car. So, its possible I could chance it and let him ride till next season and hope he makes it.
Thoughts?
Good luck. Those big guys show up out of nowhere this time of year.
Shoot him, it will be an epic tale of hunting expertise. " there I was, eating my captain crunch and I saw him through the kitchen window, so I opened it ever so slightly and shot the brute." Oh What a hunt!!!

Mm
I have two thoughts. One is that if you have a chance to kill him, don't think about it, do it. That class of buck is so hard to take that some literally become unhuntable.
My other thought is that he'll most likely be around next year. He is a proven survivor. But he'll be even harder to kill. E
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Shoot him, it will be an epic tale of hunting expertise. " there I was, eating my captain crunch and I saw him through the kitchen window, so I opened it ever so slightly and shot the brute." Oh What a hunt!!!

Mm

As opposed to..." I flew out to TX, was driven out to a heated box blind where I shot him under a pellet feeder, Jose loaded him and drove him to the cutter while I had drinks at the Hacinda*"?
I won't argue with on the "hunting" aspect of both scenarios, I just have one question. Who's the guy reflected in the photos? I think I saw him on a TV commercial, some kind of club for men.

MM

Next year unless you need that rutty meat or need a good head on the wall. However, in my experience only 1 chance in 4-5 he will be around next year.

I've often seen big bucks on large private ranches in Jan doe season and never seen them again many times.
How many bucks can you shoot in your state?
Truck load.
Well, you must not of shot him or there would be some fresh pics. Am I right?
I decided to roll up some does for jerkey instead. Nice as he is I have 3 freezers busting. No real purpose in killing him other than proving a point. I am fine letting him walk. If he begs to be shot, like showing up in the yard at 20 yards an hour before dark, he could provoke me to action.
Good choice. Its fun just to watch them too. Especially close like that.
Truckload, generous bag limit where you hunt! Only 1 antlered buck allowed in my state. Does make good jerky & summer sausage. No need to prove a point in my book. Hope you get to watch him grow more till next year hunting season & have another opportunity to havest him then.
I guess I am too early provoked...
He showed up at 5 pm with a virtual haram.
165 in the neck.
[Linked Image]
Neat Rack!! looks like temptation got the best of you
Probably the most interesting rack I've ever held.
He crab claws on the end of his left and there's a blunted G3. Looks like he damaged it in velvet. There's kickers all over the base and lots of texture high up.
16.75" inside.
Short range doesn't always mean an easy shot. I had to weave through a hole in the brush about 40 yards. He was another 15 yards past that. In the neck out the brisket with a 165 hornady BTSP. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ebby Re: he's out there...right now!!! - 12/24/14
Very nice! Congrats

Lee
Well good for ya I guess. With a broken point already and potential for next year, this late in the season, I'd have never even thought about shooting that deer at all.

But you've done it, its too late. Good job, and now to the work.

Merry Christmas.

BTW what happened to the amax theory?

Originally Posted by ringworm
I decided to roll up some does for jerkey instead. Nice as he is I have 3 freezers busting. No real purpose in killing him other than proving a point. I am fine letting him walk.

Soooo, we're anxiously awaiting what the point you've proven is. smile
No need to wait any longer...I shall devulge.
He's likely spread his seed and his legacy and the kids really REALLY dig deer jerky.
Carry on.

As to the amax, that particular Steyr was in another room. The one closest to me happened to be loaded with soft points.
I like that rack , congrats .
Originally Posted by ringworm
No need to wait any longer...I shall devulge.
He's likely spread his seed and his legacy and the kids really REALLY dig deer jerky.
Carry on.

As to the amax, that particular Steyr was in another room. The one closest to me happened to be loaded with soft points.

Cool. Thats about the only use of the old bucks is jerky. Consequently I don't shoot an old buck unless its going on the wall or needs to be culled. And we try to cull at 2.5/3.5 years old.

Dang tough old meat from some of them.

Its heck when you are only going to get a couple seconds for a shot and hvae to grab whats handy. Thats led to a lot of demise around here, 223/75 bthps from the AR. Of course we don't shoot deer around the house, those are to enjoy. But lots of folks have to deal with what property they have and thats it. Easy to do it that way too! And not a damn thing wrong with it.

Merry belated Christmas. Off to the lease.

Jeff
© 24hourcampfire