Home
Posted By: mailmanmark .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
Anyone try this load on deer???
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
Never did in my 243 but I hear good things.
I have shot several deer and antelope with this bullet in my .243's. Have some loaded to test right now.. Good for antelope and whitetails..
Posted By: ingwe Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Never did in my 243 but I hear good things.

Same here, got some loaded up for a June Axis hunt.
thats what im usin but aint took a deer yet. 2 weeks left in the season here so im hopin to pop a couple does with em
I've killed coyotes, turkeys, elk, antelope, mule deer and countless whitetails with this combo using RL22 powder.

after seeing how well it performs I personally see no need to use anything else for big game that I hunt.
Posted By: StoneCold Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
My wife and I both took our deer this year with that loading. Complete penetration, soup inside. I broke the offside shoulder with mine, bullet exited.

I'd say it will work just fine. I have high confidence in it.

SC
Thank you gentlemen...just what i wanted to hear ...
Posted By: TATELAW Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
Plenty of good reading on this topic

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=016407629494559605640%3Axponie3lspc&ie=UTF-8&q=243+95+BALLISTIC&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D016407629494559605640%3Axponie3lspc&ref=&ss=671j231733j3#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=243%2095%20BALLISTIC&gsc.page=1

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4570554/1
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8337074/Give_Your_Thoughts_Nosler_95_G
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9382922/243_and_95_gr_Ballistic_Tip_Re
Posted By: Dude270 Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
I use the 95 Bt in the 243 a bunch. It's a great hunting bullet for the 6mm's. great penetration and great expansion both.
41.5 grains of H4350 has given me over 3000 fps and superb accuracy in a bunch of 243 rifles.
Posted By: Peator Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
I stopped using the 95 grain BT. I shot a big deer front quartering thru the shoulder, it blew up, only fragments made it into the lungs. My dog help me find it, ran 250 yards, no blood, which is a long way in the brush. I moved away from light fast bullets at that moment.

I am sure a premium bullet would have penetrated better. And they may have made some improvements in the bullet since then, that's been a good few years.
Posted By: JSH Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/11/15
I've only shot one antelope with them but was very pleased. Quartering away at 240 yards it went in through the ribs, clipped the bottom of the spine and out a shoulder in one piece. I don't know how a bullet could perform better.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer.
Posted By: woodson Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/13/15
Best deer killing bullet made IMO.
The 95 grain NBT is my go-to bullet for deer with my 6mm Remington.
I am highly confident in the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip when I load them in 6mm Remington cases. I've only used it on 5 whitetails, but it means certain death, excellent penetration and very short blood trails.

Shots have been taken from various angles and ranges, but penetration was complete in all but one case. That was a head on, throat shot. That bullet ended up being recovered about midway down one backstrap after breaking the deer's neck.

I'm debating seriously taking that combination down to Texas for this year's hog hunt.

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/21/15
I prefer to shoot Partitions at deer when using .224", .243", and .257" bore rifles. While the BTs are less expensive and have a better BC, I like the peace of mind of knowing that a Partition will almost always provide through-through penetration, while the same can't said of the BTs, or at least of the BTs that I've shot deer with.
I disagree whole heartedly. I've killed elk with complete pass throughs with the 95 NBT on broadside shots. partitions are great too don't get me wrong, but it's hard to beat the NBT. even out of my wife's 6x45 and a 70 grain NBT it got 24" of penetration with a frontal shot a big wt buck. it only went about 40' before piling up. granted I only kill about 6-8 animals a year with the 95 NBT, but I have yet to lose one since '08 when I switched to them exclusively.

loaded some up for a friends daughter over re15 about 2869 fps

she killed 2 both pass throughs and one punched both shoulders

both large tn doe dressed 90- 100 lbs
I would not use small caliber Partitions either, as they don't leave much of a hole going in and out. A good softpoint is better for opening things up.

The 95BTip is the best thing going in 24 caliber.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/24/15
Like Yamaha used to say; "Different stroked for different folks".

My success with ABs and Partitions in smaller bore rifles has influenced my choice to continue to use and recommend them. By the same token, my disappointment with the .243" and .257" Sierra BTHP Gamekings has influenced my choice not to use them on medium game, despite the legions of hunters who swear by them.

These days I'm much more of a casual hunter, but I still manage to shoot several whitetails each year. For the past couple of years, many of them have fallen to the combination of 22-250 and 60 grain Partitions.
Posted By: Steve692 Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/25/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I would not use small caliber Partitions either, as they don't leave much of a hole going in and out. A good softpoint is better for opening things up.

Ok. I'm lost.

In what way is a Partition NOT a soft point? One with the partition yes....but still a thin "skinned" soft point in front unless I completely am missing the info I read.

Opens up AND penetrates hence the opinion of "a lot" of it's superiority to a great many bullets.

Not arguing. I've never shot a Partition...yet but the reason was not because of it's construction.

God Bless
Originally Posted by Steve692
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Ok. I'm lost.

In what way is a Partition NOT a soft point? One with the partition yes....but still a thin "skinned" soft point in front unless I completely am missing the info I read.

Opens up AND penetrates hence the opinion of "a lot" of it's superiority to a great many bullets.

Not arguing. I've never shot a Partition...yet but the reason was not because of it's construction.

God Bless

The difference it that a Partition...is partitioned. That is, the front part of the bullet will expand just like a soft point. However, the rear part (or partitioned part) of the bullet is enclosed in the copper jacket. The bullet is only allowed to expand to a certain point...by design. This results in less expansion overall, but better penetration over a standard cup-and-core bullet...generally.

Don't know if that makes sense. Hope it helps.
Posted By: keith Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/26/15
Lots of people use this bullet for deer. My all time favorite is the 95g Partition, I like the 243 with 43.0g of IMR or H4350 with the 95g partition as good as a 308. We killed some HUGE Nebraska corn fed white tails with this combo at 300-350 yards, NONE traveled over 30'.
Posted By: 1minute Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/26/15
I've recently been carrying some around in a 240 Weatherby, but I've not unleashed it on anything yet.

Cookie, my wife, uses 85 grain Sierra's in a 6mm Rem, and has had no complaints from mule deer or pronghorn.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/31/15
95 gr NBT's will hammer any deer you wanna hunt. Worry more about shooting straight and how hard the drag will be...... They made a 243 lover out of a former 243 hater.
Posted By: GuyM Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 01/31/15
95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is the most accurate hunting bullet I've ever used from my old 6mm Remington.

It's also proven deadly as all get out on mule deer and whitetail. My son finally recovered one from a buck in 2013, shot at only 70 yards, in the chest. It was recovered from the ham, right under the skin.

Other than that, they've all penetrated completely, and dropped deer instantly.

Guy
Don't think I recall any bullet ever receiving 100% positive reviews on the 'fire. But this may be the one! grin
Posted By: Bbear Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 02/01/15
Have to add that I loaded up some of the CTBT 95's for a little Rem. 600 that's going to my grandson. 5 shots under .5" at 100. Took one doe this year with it just for old time's sake. 178 yard shot, behind one shoulder and out through the off-side shoulder = DRT.
He's 5 and will be getting this rifle soon. Along with 100 rounds of hand-loads from me. Can't wait to see the look on his face when he sees his 'new' rifle!
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 02/05/15
Not to be a thread hijacker but I was reading a thread that had this gem just before I looked at this thread.

Originally Posted By: gunswizard
They're probably the girlymen who insist on hunting deer with varmint rifles, .223,.243 etc.

.243 is only good for varmints. Who woulda thunk it ?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 02/05/15
Um, which thread, in which forum ?
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Um, which thread, in which forum ?

Page 2

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9343807/2
Posted By: mathman Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 02/08/15
Another gem:

Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .257 Roberts is a deer cartridge, .223 and .243 are varmint cartridges.

The last varmint I killed with a 243 was a large boar, with a 95 grain Ballistic Tip too!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: .243 95g NBT for deer??? - 02/08/15
I have a bunch of deer to apologize to, maybe they won't be so dead if they know they aren't varmints...
Originally Posted By: gunswizard
They're probably the girlymen who insist on hunting deer with varmint rifles, .223,.243 etc.

The .257 Roberts is a deer cartridge, .223 and .243 are varmint cartridges.

All the fine venison meals I have eaten thanks to a .243 or 6mm must have been figments of my imagination and the more than 750-800 whitetails my late uncle and my dad have combined to kill with a .243/6mm not to mention the boxcar loads of deer we have killed with smaller calibers like the .17 Remington, .222, .223 and .22/250 must be phantoms of the ethereal mists too.

I guess that is what we get for not consulting the eggspurts on selecting a proper deer rifle. crazy crazy

© 24hourcampfire