Home
Posted By: pointer BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
This was about as busy a weekend as it gets for my 8yo. Saturday schedule was as follows:
9-10:30am Fall travel basketball tryouts
10:45-11:45am attend younger brother's flag football game
2:30-4pm play tackle football game
4:30-7:30pm drive to cabin

We finally made it to our destination, but he was having a hard time trying to relax. He helped me get a fire going, but that didn't hold his attention/interest for too long.

[Linked Image]

So we hopped in the truck with his cousin and went to do some deer shining. Farmers are running gangbusters getting the crops in so we had plenty of fields to shine in. We saw about 30 deer in about an hour. The highlight was about a 140" buck we first shined about 40yds off the road. To Spencer he was a "Beast!" ala Marshawn Lynch... wink

The next morning came early, but he was a trooper. He 'made' breakfast while I was getting the gear together. Nothing like powdered doughnut holes and diet Mtn Dew to get the day started. We sat in a ground blind that I had set up over Labor Day weekend overlooking a foodplot I had planted that same weekend. The downside is that area has received more than a sprinkle of rain since then. So, needless to say, food wasn't going to be a big draw for the deer... shocked We had a doe come through at 34 yards, but she was moving fast enough that we couldn't get a shot. The morning sit was cut a bit short as we had a poop emergency to attend to.

After lunch we were passing time and he kept bugging me to go squirrel hunting. So, we took off on a short walk up behind the cabin to an area with some hickory and beech trees. We heard a few scampering and cutting nuts, but couldn't find them as the leaves are still way thick. While slipping down the atv trail, we heard something behind us. Squirrel! It was on the ground and moving through a briar patch. I got him set up on the sticks with the 10/22 (the stock of which he painted) and he waited and waited until it made it to the trail. PEW! First squirrel of the year!

[Linked Image]

After getting it cleaned and in the freezer he asked that I let him know when it was 3pm as that's when he wanted to back out deer hunting. Mind you it's 80º so that's a bit early than I was planning on going but I'm not gonna argue. Since we had seen a deer out of the ground blind that morning that is where he wanted us to sit. I was getting a bit of gear ready and this is what happens when you leave an 8yo unsupervised with the face paint!

[Linked Image]

We got settled in to the sauna like ground blind and within mins both of us were getting drowsy and bam we both went out. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

[Linked Image]

About 6pm he was passing the time texting his mom back and forth on my phone when it started to rain! Yippee, the stuff may finally grow! About then I notice something in the brush to our right that seemed out of place. Using his Leupold Yosemite's from Santa schmaltz I picked up a doe in the brush about 25 yds out. Way too thick for a shot and he couldn't see her from his angle. Likewise the rifle was on the field pod and it wouldn't swing that direction... The doe kept feeding and milling about enough that we were able to get him positioned to see her and he was now using the blinds window as a rest. Then the rain really picked up and the doe rounded a tree and started to head back into the woods instead of into the open powerline ROW where we wanted her. He's following her in the red dot when she stops to take a nibble in a small opening. BANG!
ME: "You dropped her!"
SON: "Does that mean I got her?"
ME: "Got her. She's right there."
SON: "Thank you Lord. I'm shaking I'm so excited!"

We didn't wait long as I wanted get on the bloodtrail if it was needed ASAP as it was raining. So he exited and I almost needed a leash to keep him from sprinting up to where the deer was. She didn't take a step. He made a great high shoulder shot dropping her on the spot.

Here she is after I drug her out of the briars. I think his smile fully tells how he feels about it... laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

About as busy and fun filled weekend as I could help orchestrate for an 8 year old. An 8 year old who kindly reminded me on the way that he's now killed two deer at a younger age than I was when I killed my first (11yo). We rolled into the house at midnight. He slept most of the way, but I hope he has a good day at school as it would go a long way with his mom to keep allowing him to hunt the last evening of the weekend.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Outstanding! Love the 'every moment is an adventure' of youth.
Posted By: SKane Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
That is awesome!!!! Well done!

Posted By: Steelhead Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
My wife said 'That's so awesome' and said to give him a big hug from her. I'm assuming she means the boy...
Posted By: ingwe Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Excellent!

If I had killed my first deer at 8 I still wouldn't be fit to live with grin
Posted By: pointer Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Thanks for the kudos. I'll be sure to pass them along.

Steelhead, I'll gladly accept on his behalf... wink

ingwe- He'd be the first to point out that was his second deer! Here was last year's during the youth hunt.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Excellent!! Nice shooting!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Excellent!

If you killed a deer that nice at your current age of nearly 60+8 you'd be insufferable. shocked
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by pointer
This was about as busy a weekend as it gets for my 8yo. Saturday schedule was as follows:

We finally made it to our destination, but he was having a hard time trying to relax. He helped me get a fire going, but that didn't hold his attention/interest for too long.

[Linked Image]

So we hopped in the truck with his cousin and went to do some deer shining. Farmers are running gangbusters getting the crops in so we had plenty of fields to shine in. We saw about 30 deer in about an hour. The highlight was about a 140" buck we first shined about 40yds off the road. To Spencer he was a "Beast!" ala Marshawn Lynch... wink

The next morning came early, but he was a trooper. He 'made' breakfast while I was getting the gear together. Nothing like powdered doughnut holes and diet Mtn Dew to get the day started. We sat in a ground blind that I had set up over Labor Day weekend overlooking a foodplot I had planted that same weekend. The downside is that area has received more than a sprinkle of rain since then. So, needless to say, food wasn't going to be a big draw for the deer... shocked We had a doe come through at 34 yards, but she was moving fast enough that we couldn't get a shot. The morning sit was cut a bit short as we had a poop emergency to attend to.

After lunch we were passing time and he kept bugging me to go squirrel hunting. So, we took off on a short walk up behind the cabin to an area with some hickory and beech trees. We heard a few scampering and cutting nuts, but couldn't find them as the leaves are still way thick. While slipping down the atv trail, we heard something behind us. Squirrel! It was on the ground and moving through a briar patch. I got him set up on the sticks with the 10/22 (the stock of which he painted) and he waited and waited until it made it to the trail. PEW! First squirrel of the year!

[Linked Image]

After getting it cleaned and in the freezer he asked that I let him know when it was 3pm as that's when he wanted to back out deer hunting. Mind you it's 80º so that's a bit early than I was planning on going but I'm not gonna argue. Since we had seen a deer out of the ground blind that morning that is where he wanted us to sit. I was getting a bit of gear ready and this is what happens when you leave an 8yo unsupervised with the face paint!

[Linked Image]

We got settled in to the sauna like ground blind and within mins both of us were getting drowsy and bam we both went out. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

[Linked Image]

About 6pm he was passing the time texting his mom back and forth on my phone when it started to rain! Yippee, the stuff may finally grow! About then I notice something in the brush to our right that seemed out of place. Using his Leupold Yosemite's from Santa schmaltz I picked up a doe in the brush about 25 yds out. Way too thick for a shot and he couldn't see her from his angle. Likewise the rifle was on the field pod and it wouldn't swing that direction... The doe kept feeding and milling about enough that we were able to get him positioned to see her and he was now using the blinds window as a rest. Then the rain really picked up and the doe rounded a tree and started to head back into the woods instead of into the open powerline ROW where we wanted her. He's following her in the red dot when she stops to take a nibble in a small opening. BANG!

We didn't wait long as I wanted get on the bloodtrail if it was needed ASAP as it was raining. So he exited and I almost needed a leash to keep him from sprinting up to where the deer was. She didn't take a step. He made a great high shoulder shot dropping her on the spot.

Here she is after I drug her out of the briars. I think his smile fully tells how he feels about it... laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

About as busy and fun filled weekend as I could help orchestrate for an 8 year old. An 8 year old who kindly reminded me on the way that he's now killed two deer at a younger age than I was when I killed my first (11yo). We rolled into the house at midnight. He slept most of the way, but I hope he has a good day at school as it would go a long way with his mom to keep allowing him to hunt the last evening of the weekend.

CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted By: 4ager Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Excellent!

You couldn't have killed a deer at 8; they hadn't evolved yet. You would have had a better chance at a brontosaur.
Posted By: 4ager Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by pointer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Simply kick ass!
Posted By: domit Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
good stuff!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
What an awesome day for your boy!! Congrats to the both of you and thanks for sharing the tale with us!!
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Awesome!

Any idea why they hold youth season so early?

Dink
Posted By: pointer Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by DINK
Awesome!

Any idea why they hold youth season so early?

Dink
My guess is they wanted them to have first crack. It's the first statewide deer hunt. Archery starts on 10/1.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Great stuff.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Congrats! The smiles tell the story.

I'm looking forward to our youth season. I hope ours is as successful as yours!
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/28/15
Awesome story! Tell the young man congratulations and he has a lifetime of memories ahead of him!
Posted By: saddlering Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/29/15
Way to go Congrads to the both of You! hopeing my buddies daugther get one this weekend, iv got everthing set up for them!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/29/15
Pointer & little finger,

Awesome !

Congratulations to you both.

cool
Posted By: pointer Re: BUSY weekend! - 09/29/15
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Pointer & little finger,

Awesome !

Congratulations to you both.

cool
Ha! Little finger... Good one!