Home
But the dog sure as hell didn't care.

[Linked Image]
Nice one! Congrats!!
It's Beaut!!
I actually thought he was a little heavier but never got a real good look.

Again the dog didn't seem to mind.
Nice one Sammo. Badass picture too.

Tanner
Fine looking buck,and a fine looking dog !!
Aviators, drink!
Thanks guys!

Believe it or not I just cracked a cold beer.......

Heard there are a few decent football games on this afternoon....
Great buck, Sam!
Nice buck Sam. Your sidekick looks like he's digging it for sure.
What's with the Michael Jackson gloves...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What's with the Michael Jackson gloves...

He's a smooth criminal....

Great deer and awesome photo
Those must be the lucky gloves...

Left the pickup this morning and thought I had the regular Chilly Grips in my coat pockets. Wrong all I had were the MJ liners...
(the other 5-6 pairs of gloves were all back in the truck...)

Glassed some deer out in a hayfield and had the buck at 100-200 yards for over 20 minutes but couldn't shoot through the tall grass. Luckily they were feeding in my direction so I sat and waited in an irrigation ditch were I figured they would cross in front of me.

By the time they finally left the field my fingers were so damn cold I couldn't feel them. Sure didn't help with the shot, more of a hand pull than a finger pull.
Went to reload after shooting the buck and literally couldn't push a couple cartridges down the mag well.

Frikken' rookie.....grin
Congrats - that's a really nice whitetail!! 2 years in a row right on good whitetails?? Anyway looks like a good one.
That's a Dandy! !

Great pose by your pooch. He's a ham! grin

Jerry
Oregonmuley, I must be long arming him a little....grin

Wanted to find a good mule deer but that's way more time consuming(long drive, etc..) and we're busy feeding cattle now so the last 2 years it's been whitetail slumming close to home.

Jerry, it was all he could do to sit still for the 10 second camera timer.

He got the nuts and half a blown up heart for a reward.
grin grin
Nice buck Sam.........big ol long tines!
Smoker of a buck for sure. Congrats! Good looking dog too. Looks like a character,lol. Reminds me of my blue heeler. He's a bit of a character too. Never fed him deer nuts. Could be what he needs.
I have to stop opening this thread. I have a Booker's every time I see the aviators.

That took 7 minutes to type.
Ackley, if you look real close his left brow tine does a 90 degree turn about 3/4 of the way up. Kinda weird, I might have a better pic.

Otter, the dog belongs to my dad and is a character for sure. Cattle movin' machine!

Steelhead, same deal here with beer, good thing there isn't whiskey in house.....laughing

Nice buck, new 270 stay home?
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ackley, if you look real close his left brow tine does a 90 degree turn about 3/4 of the way up. Kinda weird, I might have a better pic.

Otter, the dog belongs to my dad and is a character for sure. Cattle movin' machine!

Steelhead, same deal here with beer, good thing there isn't whiskey in house.....laughing

I'm a little lit tonight. Momma and me put up the Christmas tree today. A little slippery nipple and bourbon seemed in order whilst Christmas music was playing.

Salute.
Oregonmuley, I must be long arming him a little....grin

Wanted to find a good mule deer but that's way more time consuming(long drive, etc..) and we're busy feeding cattle now so the last 2 years it's been whitetail slumming close to home.

Jerry, it was all he could do to sit still for the 10 second camera timer.

He got the nuts and half a blown up heart for a reward.
Don't you heathens have no manners? There might be ladies reading this thread.You should have just said the dog had a ball helping me clean the deer.
Ben, when slumming whitetails I just slum the ol' horse beater version. I love that thing, lucky like the MJ gloves.

Steelie, speaking of lit...

The Auburn coach is lit up like a Christmas tree!

Beer time!

DJ2, I'm just glad he didn't puke the balls up on the seat of the pickup...
That would have been mildly sick.....grin
I don't think they are going to do it. All I need for a perfect day is for the Gators to beat Free Shoes U...
Two score game, gonna be tough.

Good luck to the Gators!
Nice buck and great picture! Everyone looks happy except the buck! Good going, enjoy the football and the beer.
Congratulations
Sammo thats a dandy!

I see you used your grouse gun on him, but the aviators compensated for it!
Very nice buck, Sam. That dog sure is photogenic something Hollywood could use. grin
Nice buck and great photo Sam.
Very fine... Glad to see someone else takes their dogs with them deer hunting..Great job and excellent photo..
Thanks all, the dog stole the show for sure!

He must have remembered last year's treat and was really suckin' up.....grin

Well Done Sammo.
That's a good reason for being late Sam...great pic, the dog looks real proud of you.
Nice Sam, glad to see your horse rifle isn't forgotten laugh
Very nice Sam!

For a minute I thought Tom Cruise shot a buck....
Great buck Sammer!
Another great pic, and great buck there SamO. Congrats, and keep up the good work!
Nice whitey.....
Man thats a real Dandy Buck! great pic. too!
When you get your driver's license in Montana do they issue you a pair of Aviators?
Nice buck Sam. 3.5 year old you think?
Great pic.

Congrats.
Nice one Sam!
Very nice, I'd be late for chores too if I saw that one.
Congrats Sam nice buck!
Nice Sam! That's a classic pic...

Nice Muley...
Sam;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully besides having winter's meat now this finds you folks all doing well.

Thanks for sharing the hunt story and very cool photo with us, I very much enjoyed both. Congratulations on the dandy buck too.

All the best to you folks and thanks again Sam.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Nice Muley...

laugh
Nice buck and picture. Congratulations!
Nice buck and pic, Sam! And aviator style points to boot. Congrats!
You can't look at that picture and not smile, great on so many levels. Congrats!
Thanks guys, that little dog is something else.

Sambo, it was a fairly young deer, 3.5 is what I was guessing. Private property but gets hunted by quite a few different people so it was a nice buck for the area. Cold early mornings are key, not much pressure.

I did see one other buck about a week earlier on two different days that might have been a little better but didn't shoot. Had him within 50 yards 3 times but he was trailing does every time and wouldn't sit still in the brush.
Nice deer. Great shot Sam.
Great deer !
Nice buck, Sam!

Saw the aviators and went to the garage fridge for a brew.

Details needed - rifle/bullet?

And WTF are you doing without the chemical hand warmers???
Hells Bells Sam,

I'm getting up real early tomorrow morning and pretend to go do chores and see what happens! Damn nice buck. I look at that and wonder how many thousands of dollars get spent by other folks traveling and spending big bucks to do the same.

And hey, a rookie would have been tryin to jam the WRONG cartridges into the gun - <grin>

Careful with those aviators, ol Blue might get jealous with the Tom Cruise comments.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy! Friggin Awesome!
Out sluicing again when there's chores to be done I see.

Well, someone's got to do it, I just wish it was me!

Nice deer Sam. A Dog in the pic always adds to it.

Now, did you get any work done at all?

Geno
Thanks guys.

Marty, rifle was the ol' M700 ADL in 270 shooting 140 Accubonds(aka the horse gun). Complete with a 6x36LR Leupold and bedded tupperware stock(gasp....grin). It has now taken my 5 biggest whitetails.

The grass was so tall I couldn't see the deer until they were right in the ditch where I was laying. About a 4-5 foot window to shoot and I was afraid to ball my fingers up to stay warm because they were almost jumping across the ditch with very little time to shoot.

Bob, I'm just glad the breeze was blowing the right direction! And not bad for a $700 rifle/scope. Carhartts of course...

Mule deer hunting is another story...

Fancy boots, clothes, rifle, backpack, laser, gps, spotter, tripod, binos. Hate to add it all up and it only gets used one or two days a year. Whhaaaaaaa...grin

Geno, just a shotgun in the pickup now. You never know when you'll see a rooster while 'fixing fence' or 'checking cows'......
If there's any cocky coyotes around during calving the 243 MT will be riding along. A guy would go nuts if you didn't try to make work at least a little fun!
But the dog sure as hell didn't care.

[Linked Image]

Whoa, what a stud !!

Really nice deer & dog too.

Just a heads up, studs & the .270Gay do not go together !

eek
SamO!

That's an awesome buck dude.

I see you gave yourself a day or two to spare this year... grin.

Travis
Dandy buck, congrats! Those spectacles are glorious!
Nice buck!
The dog looks up to you. Nice whitey there.
Super buck Sammo!
Love racks like that. Great deer!
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments, especially the ones regarding my stunning good looks.

Clark
The dogs looks like he is proud of you. Great photo and congrats.
Nice buck! Congrats!
I like this thread better...
Sweet animal.
Nice buck Sam! Way to go! He's very cool!
Nice buck there, Sam! I'd say the dog was right about forgiving you for being late to take care of business on that one. Congratulations!
Dang, Sam...missed this one. Congrats!! Great buck and pic!
Nice Whitetail...Great picure!
Ain't nothing wrong with that one Sam! Enjoy the fried backstrap!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and do it over again in 2016!!

I didn't get one in Kansas a while back; guess I'm just too dang choosy for my own good! But I had a good time watching the lesser bucks!

Take care!
No idea how I missed this one, nice buck Sammo!
Thanks guys, I'm already figuring out how to sneak off from work for a 2016 mule deer hunt!
Sweet buck Sammo.

He was lucky to get kilt by such a handsome sumbitch.
© 24hourcampfire