Home
Posted By: TATELAW Stuntshooting - With Style! - 01/06/16
Last year I purchased a custom Pre-64 Model 70 chambered in 220 Wilson Arrow. I worked up a load for it and finally got to bloody it today. A nice 5x4 with a drop tine on the 4 side. He was running straight at me at 175yds and the little 55gr Hornady SP at 3800fps dropped him instantly with massive blood loss. So much for 22CFs being best left for use on does with perfect broadside shot placement.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I must say the little 55gr done a fine job dropping him in his tracks. Never even wiggled.
It was a great day for Roger as he got his second ten pt to stuff.
Cool rifle and deer! Got to love that mass!
What case is that cartridge based on?
Congratulations. That is a fine buck and a really neat old rifle.
Handsome buck. Love the mass on him!
Posted By: SKane Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 01/07/16
Cool deer. Looks like he's got a little age on him.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 01/07/16
Welcome to the fold!

NICE buck.

Anyone that doubts the effectiveness of the little 55 grain Hornady has only to look at Scenarshooters pics.....

Stunt shooters can always use a new inductee grin
Nice deer Tate.....educate me, what is a 220 Wilson arrow?
Similar to a .220 Swift with a slightly longer body and neck
Cool beans nice rifle and deer
Thanks guys!

The Wilson Arrow is based on the 220 Swift. It's basically a Swift with the shoulder pushed back and the angle sharpened. The basic benefit is less brass trimming due to the sharper shoulder. Problem is Swift ammo won't chamber in the Arrow. Brass must first be formed in the Arrow FL die before the initial loading.

This is the second deer I've killed with the little 55 SP, and I've seen several more killed by other folks. First was with a 22-250 at 60yds. It was DRT also. Kinda makes me wonder why I keep experimenting with other bullets, including premiums, when the 55 SP is so cheap, accurate, and effective!
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Kinda makes me wonder why I keep experimenting with other bullets, including premiums, when the 55 SP is so cheap, accurate, and effective!

I wonder the same thing.....Ive shot deer with the 55 Horn and they died instantly, but I keep fooling with other bullets. Just worked up a load yesterday for a couple guns with the 63 Grain Sierra SMP....because it came highly recommended from Dober...
Originally Posted by ingwe

Kinda makes me wonder why I keep experimenting with other bullets, including premiums, when the 55 SP is so cheap, accurate, and effective!

I wonder the same thing.....Ive shot deer with the 55 Horn and they died instantly, but I keep fooling with other bullets. Just worked up a load yesterday for a couple guns with the 63 Grain Sierra SMP....because it came highly recommended from Dober...

Sierra tells me that the 63 grain smp will stabilize no problem in a 1 in 14 twist barrel, I plan on trying it in a savage 24 combo gun, because all of them in .222 and .223 have a 1 in 14 twist.

I've got 63 & 65 Sierras, 50, 53, & 62 Barnes, and the 64 Nosler BSB I keep telling myself I'm gonna try.
Originally Posted by wink_man

Sierra tells me that the 63 grain smp will stabilize no problem in a 1 in 14 twist barrel, I plan on trying it in a savage 24 combo gun, because all of them in .222 and .223 have a 1 in 14 twist.

I just got them to shoot yesterday in a 1 in 14 twist .22-250

And in a 1 in 8 twist .223AI...which LOVED them...

I've got 63 & 65 Sierras, 50, 53, & 62 Barnes, and the 64 Nosler BSB I keep telling myself I'm gonna try.

Ive shot a lot of the Barnes 50, 53, and 55s...plus the Nosler 64 BSB......all of them are killing SOBs...

Never used the Sierras on game, but a number of members here ( whose opinions I actually believe and trust) have told me the 63s and 65s are both good game bullets.
I look forward to your reports on the bullets Tom....

I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to take this fine animal with a non - Big Stick approved firearm. 12 twist barrel, schitty BC bullet, Nikon Monarch scope with - Gasp!! - no target turrets. How in the world could such a pathetic firearm work to kill a game animal?

Laffin!
You forgot to mention its a Model 70...NOT Stick Approved!

I don't know how this stuff happens either, but Ive had a lot of creatures fall dead in front of my 1 in 12 twist 223AI.

All I can think of is that its a miracle capable of replicating itself. And Oh, yeah my rifle has one of those schitty Leupold scopes on it, and Im not shooting a moly-coated 75 Amax...so i have no explanation for all the dead stuff....
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 01/07/16
nice buck where did you hit him? Lungs??
Originally Posted by jimmyp
nice buck where did you hit him? Lungs??

He was running towards me and I hit him in the chest. Bullet exited between his front legs. Massive blood loss. I didn't do a necropsy but I'm assuming heart/lungs.
He shot him in the chest straight on with deer running straight at us. Pretty hard to figure how the lil cheap bullet made such a mess of the chest cavity but as alluded to early miracle do tend to replicate with the lil sp
I tried the 63gr. SMP in my .223 because they were so highly praised by members here.

I shot a spike at 200 yards with one this season, it was a clean pass through with a broken shoulder to-boot. Color me convinced.
Beautiful buck and a neat rifle, congratulations!

I love the 55 hornady and the 63 smp for deer. Forgive me for saying, but I prefer them to the "premium" bullets like the barnes tsx bullets. In my experience they kill quicker (not deader) than the tougher bullets.

Originally Posted by justin10mm
I tried the 63gr. SMP in my .223 because they were so highly praised by members here.

I shot a spike at 200 yards with one this season, it was a clean pass through with a broken shoulder to-boot. Color me convinced.

Good info. thanks!

Shot this mule doe with the 55 Grain Hornady out of a .223AI......DRT

[Linked Image]
Evil Black Rifle stunt shooting...

[Linked Image]
damn good one to shoot too! No stunt there... they die pretty quick from a 223
I hear if you eat a few of those hornady's you can bench press 500 pounds and see through walls.

MM
I might have to give some of those 55gr. Hornadys a try in the .22-250.
Now that I see the first page... LOL.. thats not the bullet choice that I'd be leaning towards with that speed.

But you can get away with a lot of things if the shot placement is correct.

Great buck! Congrats. Cool rifle and cartridge.
Posted By: powdr Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 01/08/16
Do you happen to have a frontal picture of the buck. Any at all would be appreciated. powdr
Originally Posted by powdr
Do you happen to have a frontal picture of the buck. Any at all would be appreciated. powdr

I have some additional frontal pics of the head and rack, but not of the entrance wound in the chest. Which are you looking for?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by rost495
Now that I see the first page... LOL.. thats not the bullet choice that I'd be leaning towards with that speed.

But you can get away with a lot of things if the shot placement is correct.

My thoughts too Jeff but Pat ( Scenarshooter) put them to rest years ago. His Sako in .220 swift maintained a pretty steady diet through the early years and first few barrels......and you've seen his pics.....it works at .220- Swifto speeds....
Thought I'd update this thread. Got this one back today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Good looking mount!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 07/30/16
Agreed. Beautiful mount.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 07/31/16
That looks great!
Posted By: fats Re: Stuntshooting - With Style! - 07/31/16
That's a nice buck!

All these stunt shooting posts make me wonder why I keep hunting with anything above a .224 caliber.
Thought I'd update this thread. Got this one back today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is a dandy buck.
Looks good.
That's a fine deer right there.
very cool rifle and deer!
cool Cool rifle, cartridge and nice mount.
Some nice guns, along with some nice deer.
© 24hourcampfire