Home
Posted By: jwall Day Hunting Pack/What's In It? - 03/22/16
I'm NOT talking 'backpack hunting' just a Day Hunt Pack. What do you NORMALLY carry for A Day Hunt?

I like/prefer light weight rifles because you carry them in your hands & arms. A heavy rifle becomes a burden during hours of Still Hunting/Stalking. In a Stand (shooting house as some call them) a heavy rifle doesn't make a diff.

This pic is of my backpack and what I "normally" tote ON MY BACK for a Day Hunt. It 'averages' 12 lbs. It'll vary a little but not a whole lot. I also carry light shooting sticks but they are NOT usually in the pack.

[Linked Image]

The pack itself is a 'Remington' brand and has multiple pockets. There is 1 pocket in the very top + 2 side pockets & 1 interior divider.

From the Back-Left to Back Right.

Thermos - Cold Days>>>>Grunt Tube >>>Rattle Bag
Water >>>>Comp Binos >>>Snacks
Coke >>>>Ammo pack >>>Chips (not in pic)
L R F >>>>Pruner
Headlamp >>>>Saw
>>>>Drag Rope<<<<

The drag rope is not essential but I've been packin one so long it has become a habit. I do use it often enuff to justify packin it.

If you use a smart phone, you can enlarge and see more details of the pic.

Jerry

edit to SAY what I's thinkin! smirk

When Hunting I am seldom very far from my Truck so I Just carry a compass,water,sardines,Vienna sausages,candy bar,toilet paper,Pack of cigs,Lighter,rangefinder and cell phone,small pocket knife,orange flagging in a Fanny pack.If it is cold I carry some handwarmers as well.
Add a pack of baby/wet wipes to the list - they come in handy for lots of stuff.
To the above I add a partial roll of TP, chapstick and sunblock, a relief jug, deer scent, scent wicks, pen/pencil and a couple of index cards. My pull-up rope doubles as a drag rope, folding knife knife sharpener, lens cleaning cloth, extra socks, toboggan cap and balaclava (camo and/or blaze orange). Rain gear, lighter and heavier gloves, scent killer spray, zip-loc bag for heart & liver. shooting bipod that I lash to the outside of the pack opposite the rifle. I have made a check list that I use each time to make sure everything is in the pack. Depending on hunt locale and time of year I may add or delete items as appropriate for conditions.
Jerry,

Now it's complete. laugh

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

How in 'heaven' did you do that??

I thot I 'NEW' puters !

Reckon not

Jerry
Thanks Guys -

I'm hunting 70 acres and don't return to my truck till time to leave. I use my 4 wheeler to retrieve deer.

Scott- I don't have a 'cougher' and I bring deer home to clean. IF that's a 'butt out' not a tent stake. grin

Craig - my compass in IN my phone.
I carry emergency paper (T P ) in a pocket. I never use hand warmers. I don't smoke but a pack of Taylor's Pride is in my pocket.

Stros - The baby wipes are a great idea - thnx. cool

Wiz - My gloves/balaclava are in coat pocket or 6 pocket pants.

So far we carry close to the same items. Naturally it'll vary, who & where WE hunt.

Scott - Are the cougher & butt out ALL you tote? laugh

Jerry

As regards the gloves/balaclava I emant the one you weren't wearing or wasn't in your coat/pants pocket. I carry two of each, thinner gloves for dexterity whne handling the rifle and heavier for riding the four wheeler to avoid freezing my fingers. I have blaze orange, camo and black balaclavas, camo i use for concealment when in the stand and the black when in the pop-up or box blind and the blaze for extra visibility when needed. The orange toboggan is usually worn over the balaclava to meet blaze orange requirements. It is sometimes necessary to ride the four wheeler short distances on rural roads when going from one location to another, I like to have as much orange as possible when doing this. I also have a red flasher that I place on my backpack for extra visibility to alert drivers when they come up on me from the rear.
We only have 120 acres, and I've hunted the same stand since the 70's. Rebuilt and moved a few feet a couple times. Every time we go to the farm I check it out and touch up anything needing touched up. I used to climb trees for a living and I wear my old safety harness, since it's made to be worked in all day I find it more comfortable than the ones that come with portable stands. So, the day before, I go up and set my safety line in the tree. I have an old section of aluminium ladder that gets me most of the way up. In the morning I put my safety harness on. All steel rings have been wrapped with duct tape to keep them quiet. Pockets get soda, snacks, apples, sandwich. Sometimes pruning saw, but usually have taken care of that ahead of time. The orange flip line/safety line doubles as drag rope. TP, cell phone for time and camera, no reception, so no internet. That's about it, Joe.
Joe -

I have hunted climbing stands and have an 'ol man' that is comfortable but I am not using ANY stands. All my hunting is ON the ground. Most of the time I'm Still Hunting.

I also have a 17 1/2' to the feet, ladder stand. I can put it up but I don't want to be Tempted to hunt 1 stand. It is wide enuff for comfort with foot rest & rifle rest which will fold up for bow hunting.

Also this 70 acres is surrounded on 3 sides with only normal farm fencing. So there is/are NO hi fence. Deer are free to come & go and I'm not limited to ONLY the deer on 70 acres.

I don't intend to be critical or arrogant, I'm just enjoying the freedom to move when/where/I want to. I have hunted deer leases with tower stands and have killed very many deer from stands.

I am NOT using any feeders. It's all natural for the deer and myself. Last season was my 4th yr to hunt here exclusively. My Uncle says, "kill any/ all you want to", I tell him, they have to be legal.

With that I have the freedom to 'cull' any I want. Last yr I saw a 'freaky' antlered buck that IS illegal. This year his luck may run out! If he hasn't improved, he NEEDS to be removed.

Yes - JR, I remember Ira Hayes. (smile)

Jerry
For years I carried a day pack, until I found myself carrying enough crap to survive a week in the Himalayas. At that point I took a good hard look at my 'possibles' and pared them down to the bare minimum- such that would fit in the pockets and game pouch of my old Woolrich hunting coat: paperback book, small water bottle, a couple of Hershey Bars, folded wad of paper towels, hank of nylon tie-down cord, rifle sling (if carrying a gun equipped for it), cell phone, two hand warmers in the hand warming pockets. Knife goes in a pants pocket or on my belt, scope (if carrying a Mauser adapted for it) is carried in a leather tube on a sling over my shoulder, few spare cartridges in a pants pocket. Rifle stays in my hands where it should be. Compact binos, sometimes, slung around my neck.

I figure if I didn't bother taking a rifle I could get rid of the sling, drag rope, knife, scope, and spare cartridges, and have more room for scotch and condoms...
I carry lightweight safety glasses in my pack, one time getting poked in the eye by a branch while dragging a buck out in the dark was enough....
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I figure if I didn't bother taking a rifle I could get rid of the sling, drag rope, knife, scope, and spare cartridges, and have more room for scotch and condoms...

Well, umm, errr, then you can stay home/at girl friend's..... grin

and give me your rifles. whistle laugh laugh

Jerry
pocono -

safety glasses...not a bad idea, since I have pairS lying around.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
Thanks Guys -

I'm hunting 70 acres and don't return to my truck till time to leave. I use my 4 wheeler to retrieve deer.

Scott- I don't have a 'cougher' and I bring deer home to clean. IF that's a 'butt out' not a tent stake. grin

Craig - my compass in IN my phone.
I carry emergency paper (T P ) in a pocket. I never use hand warmers. I don't smoke but a pack of Taylor's Pride is in my pocket.

Stros - The baby wipes are a great idea - thnx. cool

Wiz - My gloves/balaclava are in coat pocket or 6 pocket pants.

So far we carry close to the same items. Naturally it'll vary, who & where WE hunt.

Jerry

Jerry I have a compass on my cell phone as well but what if cell phone goes down?
The only reason I use a hand warmer is I buy the ones that you have to rub around to get them going and the fanny pack I have has a pocket inside that is perfect size to slip it in and then I can slide my hands in both sides of the fanny pack and not only keep my hands out of the wind but warm at the same time.
When I see a deer I just slide my hands out of the fanny pack openings.
If I had to carry a "pack" of any kind for a day hunt I'd hang it up. Everything I carry fits in the pockets of my hunting coat and except for the bottle of water that I refresh daily, it all stays in there for the duration of the season. Pick up the jacket, bino's and my rifle and I'm ready to go. Knife, drag rope, ammo wallet with 10 rounds, flashlight, deer tags, pen to fill them out, lighter.
Blackheart - so there you are. We were talking about you today in Hunters Campfire per 'memorials'. They said you were still kickin.

Pack or Not---to each his own.

Jerry
Mine is very similar to this one
Small light and handy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Camo-Hand-Warmer-Pouch-Fanny-Pack-Adjustable-Waist-Soft-Hunting-Hunter-/391362491671?hash=item5b1f05b517:g:aBwAAOSwJkJWk9gU
Originally Posted by bcraig

Jerry I have a compass on my cell phone as well but what if cell phone goes down?

The only reason I use a hand warmer is I buy the ones that you have to rub around to get them going and the fanny pack I have has a pocket inside that is perfect size to slip it in and then I can slide my hands in both sides of the fanny pack and not only keep my hands out of the wind but warm at the same time.

Craig - First off, I'm only IN 70 acres so really don't need a compass. Also I've never had a cell phone to die.

Secondly - I wear the Brown Cotton Jersey gloves (thin) but when it's cold, I hold the rifle in 1 hand and the other is IN a pants pocket. I then rotate hands with the rifle.

That works for me. Everyone is not the same. I've always been hot natured. And YES I've hunted when hands have been very cold but then got onto my routine.

Jerry
Originally Posted by bcraig

Craig - First off, I'm only IN 70 acres so really don't need a compass. Also I've never had a cell phone to die.

Secondly - I wear the Brown Cotton Jersey gloves (thin) but when it's cold, I hold the rifle in 1 hand and the other is IN a pants pocket. I then rotate hands with the rifle.

That works for me. Everyone is not the same. I've always been hot natured. And YES I've hunted when hands have been very cold but then got onto my routine.

Jerry

First off ,Hell i have gotten turned around in a lot less than 70 acres when its cloudy ! LOL and I have had a phone die.

Secondly I have often used the Cotton Jersey gloves ,Rabbit Hunting with a shotgun but I hate wearing any kind of gloves when Using a rifle,sorta feel like I lose sensitivity for the Trigger.
That is why I like for my hands to stay warm without wearing gloves

Yea I fully realize Everyone is not the same , Just thought I would share in the thread that you started and not trying to say my way is better for anyone else but me. I was Hot natured as well until I had a couple of heart attacks .

Craig
No problem Craig. really

We are GOOD. Thanks for participating.

Jerry
No one has mentioned disposable latex gloves. Almost no mess when dressing your critter. I carry two forms of fire - matches and lighter. Carry a good reliable compass as we get no cell coverage and often get ten miles from the truck. Also carry large garbage bag for heart and liver, emergency rain coat etc. I carry a lens pen to clean scope and or glasses.
forpest

Actually I forgot that I have latex gloves in my pack

PLUS a small first aid pack. (both are in the divided pocket inside the main pack. Thnx for reminding me, time to refresh.

Per latex gloves I don't gut/dress my deer in the woods, I'm only 3 mi from my house.

Jerry
Originally Posted by gunswizard
To the above I add a partial roll of TP, chapstick and sunblock, a relief jug, deer scent, scent wicks, pen/pencil and a couple of index cards.

wiz & craig -

"I don't always use chapstick, but when I do it's in my pocket." grin

I keep a lighter in my truck--I'm not far away.

Since I'm only 3 mi. from home I don't keep rain gear in my pack. I wear a BIG leather hat when rain threatens and a coat that's Scotchguard treated.

Y'all have given me an interesting idea. Cell signal/compass.
Tonight I'll be where cell signal is intermittent or non existent. I'll try an experiment to see IF my compass works w/o signal strength.

" I 'THINK' the compass works w/o phone signal"--we'll see.

Thnx, it's good to compare what others use or feel is needed.

Jerry

Yep - that's it. Oh, and a bandolier. whistle
Jerry, I don't use a daypack when hunting whitetails but mule deer are an entirely different ball game.

I might wander 3-5 miles from the pickup in mule deer country so of course a daypack makes sense. I also might be hunting from dark til dark and use the pack to pack out meat so it has to be a somewhat 'substantial' pack.

In no particular order...

lunch/snacks/water bladder

hand wipes/TP

knife/small sharpener

extra ammo(5 rounds)

game bags/medium size garbage bag

spotting scope/tripod

camera/GPS/compass/cell phone/laser rangefinder
(batteries)

survey tape

lens wipes

spare set of contact lenses

depending on the weather extra clothes/rain shell

Seems like a lot of stuff but on a successful hunt I generally use all of it.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Sammy

I DO understand your different territory and your need of a spotting scope, game bags, & pack frame of sorts.

I'd bet you NEED much better boots than I do. And sorta serious, you might need a Satellite phone for emergency. I don't have any idea of cell service in that area.

Thanks Sam, I appreciate it.

Jerry
Jerry, decent boots are a must!

Don't care if they are for work or hunting, boots are one item where a guy should not scrimp.

All leather(or rubber) and the fewer seams the better!

It's not really remote(or rugged) country, cell service on the higher hills, no service in the coulees.

Talking about fire, one or two cotton balls, with some vasaline rubbed in, make great fire starters. Even a petroleum based first aid ointment will work, but if you just make a couple in advance and toss them in a pill bottle, it's easier to have them ready
Josey, that's a neat idea. I don't need it where I'm hunting now. Someone else might need it and I'll file it away for future ref.

***From another use***-- you can put those in an empty film canister for clean storage. I used to carry old film in a canister to clean the seals on motorcycle front forks. A band aide short term fix.

Thanks

Jerry
Usually a bottle of water a couple of pcs hard candy or cough drops, my knife 4-5 ft of paracord a extra pair of gloves and watch cap 5-6 paper towels a payday bar or pkg of fig newtons and if it is cold I have a pair of soft nylon wind pants that I roll up and carry there along with a couple of the hand warmer packs. My pack is just more of a shoulder bag not a two strap pack and doesn't weigh more than a couple of lbs. a lot of times in warmer weather I can get all my stuff in my vest pockets. And don't bother with the pack.
Josey, that's a neat idea. I don't need it where I'm hunting now. Someone else might need it and I'll file it away for future ref.

***From another use***-- you can put those in an empty film canister for clean storage. I used to carry old film in a canister to clean the seals on motorcycle front forks. A band aide short term fix.

Thanks

Jerry

Film canisters! Yeah, like you can find those anymore! I have a few, but man I wish I had kept more of those. I keep trail marking tacks in one. Using canisters for cotton ball fire starters is ideal, but I just need to find some.

BTW, i tried the cotton ball trick, with a firestarter, by scraping the starter with a knife. Damn if it didn't ignite and hold a nice flame.
Originally Posted by Joseywales

Thanks

Jerry

Film canisters! Yeah, like you can find those anymore! I have a few, but man I wish I had kept more of those. I keep trail marking tacks in one. Using canisters for cotton ball fire starters is ideal, but I just need to find some.

BTW, i tried the cotton ball trick, with a firestarter, by scraping the starter with a knife. Damn if it didn't ignite and hold a nice flame.
You can buy film canisters on Amazon for under a buck a piece.
Josey -

Well just so happens that I have at least a few.

I have coins separated in several plus I have some in my motorcycle acc. storage bin. YES, it's been a while since I bought any film. Things change DON'T they. grin.

I 'suspect' there are other small containers that will work but haven't given them any thot.

And I don't know why anyone would need a lot of them?? You mentioned medicine bottles (plastic) so that's at least one alternative.

Thnx

Jerry
He all, ha, yes I do have done with coins in them as well.

Pointer, buy canisters? Now that's just crazy talk. Yard sales, thrift shops. I'll find some damn it!
I have two packs, a badlands 2200 mainly used for half day hunts or when I'm helping and won't be responsible for the majority of the meat, but helping.

A outdoorsmans optics pack to use when I'm hunting or hunting with my wife or brother (aka meat and rifle packing).
Cotton balls wasn't the only use we had for film canisters back in the day. Just sayin... whistle
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Cotton balls wasn't the only use we had for film canisters back in the day. Just sayin... whistle

What did y'all do with cotton balls BEFORE film canisters? grin laugh

Uhh, cotton balls...nevermind ! shocked

Jerry
My Experiment ? Compass with or w/o phone signal.

Where I was last night, NORMALLY has no or limited cell signal. Last night it was cloudy and I had better signal there than I've ever noticed.

So, I'll have to try that on a clear day/night. I'm seldom anywhere that doesn't have signal so I'll have to pay attention and check later. I'm very curious.

Jerry
My day pack varies depending on the season and what I'm hunting.

for general deer hunting I carry: a knife, 1/2 box of ammo, folding saw, water, sandwich, magnesium firestarter, lighter, 6 papertowls folded together, compass, rangefinder, flashlight/headlamp, length of small dia. rope, large contractor garbage bag, small tiedown strap, tag, pen and medical kit.
sounds like a lot, but it's very compact.

optional items - compact poncho, spotting scope, shooting sticks, tree steps, socks, granola bars, calls, MRE, sitting pad, book, GPS, map.
For decades I always included a topo map and compass amongst my "possibles". That too has gone by the wayside, although if wandering into virgin territory I would likely resume their use. I used to mark good "spots" on a map with compass bearings taken from un-missable landmarks. I guess GPS would suffice, but I'm an analog kind of guy and a Luddite to boot!

I've been "a mite turned around" a couple of times but keeping in mind the position of the sun and the fact that water runs downhill (at least where I hunted) and "civilization" can be found along major watercourses was always enough comfort to know I wouldn't be spending the night shivering under a pile of pine boughs. Works in the areas of Eastern Woodlands where I've done 90% of my hunting, but I know that wouldn't be a good attitude out in the Great Wide Beyond.

L R F >>>>Pruner
Headlamp >>>>Saw
>>>>Drag Rope<<<<

The drag rope is not essential but I use it enuff to justify packin it

A little qualification!

I leave early even in cold Wx so the coffee helps tremendously at times. I have a hydration pack but the coffee/water/coke is less bundlesome. The snacks get me thru lunch w/o feeling starved. Many Xs I've connected before lunch time so they're ready for the next hunt.

The LRF usually is in a coat pocket and the comp. binos are around my neck (still toting them). I also carry the Primos Can (doe bleat) in a pocket. I find the hand pruner very useful occasionally.

The drag rope comes in handy dragging a doe (they don't have handles) out of a thicket or to an easier place to load on wheeler.

All in all these things are beneficial/useful enuff to me that I don't mind the weight. I'm so use to having them, I don't feel 'ready' w/o them.

Obviously every one doesn't hunt in/under the same circumstances so what we need/want varies.

I've picked up a few pointers from you guys and may still get others from future posts. Thnx

Jerry
gnoahhh -

A very good example of what's needed for WHERE you hunt.

Back in the 80s I could have used a GPS ! WHAT was a gps in the 80s? grin

I know that I am NOT the only one, but I 'almost' have a compass in my DNA. I have been lost ONCE but only in the since I had trouble getting out of a 'large' triangle. Luckily, I think I made it out. confused

For the last many yrs the only thing I needed & used was a map of a very large deer lease. Mainly that was to inform myself what land was in/out of the lease. It was not all in one tract.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Joseywales

Thanks

Jerry

Or you can buy 3x5 ziplock bags on eBay. I put my cotton balls in one of those little bags and prefer it to film canisters by a wide wide margin. I also use the bags when I'm doing load development. They 3-10 loaded rounds easily. Helps to keep them sorted.
tag....lots of good stuff to come back and read
tag
Hi Sam
Nice looking pack in the above picture. What brand/model is it?
If I'm on 70 acres I'd not have a pack. Everything I'd need could be carried on me.

If I'm going 'out' then I'd have a pack with line, water, latex gloves, knife, saw.
Diff strokes...

Happy Easter....S Head
Thanks Guys -

I'm hunting 70 acres and don't---- return to my truck---- till time to leave. I use my 4 wheeler to retrieve deer
Jerry

Guys, Craig & others not to be critical but explain my tactics.

70 acres is NOT a large plot of ground. My Uncle is in poor health and doesn't get far from his barn-- SO the deer don't bump into humans very often ON that 70 acres.

I don't criss cross the property or go back & forth to my truck **for obvious** reasons (not critical) but for emphasis.

That's WHY I carry a pack & don't go back to the truck UNTIL it's time to leave.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I'm on 70 acres I'd not have a pack. Everything I'd need could be carried on me.

If I'm going 'out' then I'd have a pack with line, water, latex gloves, knife, saw.
Yep! Only reason I have a pack with me on my place is to carry the stuff for the kiddos.
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
Hi Sam
Nice looking pack in the above picture. What brand/model is it?

Jedi, sorry just saw your question.

The pack is a Mystery Ranch Bighorn.

I don't get to use it a lot but it is a very well built item.
Hi Sam
Thanks bud..
Where I was last night, NORMALLY has no or limited cell signal. Last night it was cloudy and I had better signal there than I've ever noticed.
So, I'll have to try that on a clear day/night. I'm seldom anywhere that doesn't have signal so I'll have to pay attention and check later. I'm very curious.
Jerry

Well I'm skunked so far. During the past week I haven't been anywhere that I did NOT have phone signal. Even when I had only 1 bar of signal, my compass worked.

Has anyone else tried your phone's compass w/o signal strength?

Jerry
Jerry

Well I'm skunked so far. During the past week I haven't been anywhere that I did NOT have phone signal. Even when I had only 1 bar of signal, my compass worked.

Jerry
Turn it on airplane mode and try it. You won't have signal then.
I use a fanny pack:

fix bladed knife
meat/pruning saw (2 blades)
50' paracord
AA flashlight
4 AA batteries
matches
lighter
vaselined cotton balls & pitch wood
1 quart water
sandwich/candy/trail mix
scope lens covers
10 cartridges (on the belt)
latex gloves
toilet paper
metal cup w/ small first aid kit, extra compass, bouillon cubes and tin foil inside

In my Pockets:

GPS
compass
maps
folding knife
AAA flashlight
garbage bag
bandana
paper/pencil
doe bleat call

Originally Posted by pointer

Jerry
Turn it on airplane mode and try it. You won't have signal then.

THANKS Pointer -
I've never needed to go to airplane mode so I didn't think to try it.

YES..my compass works correctly W/O phone signal. So no worries, mate! My compass will work NO matter where I am.

Jerry
I usually carry more than I need. But sometimes I end up miles from where I start and the weather can change a lot through out the day. I have 2 different packs I wear. One is a large 2 compartment lumbar pack the other is an Eberlestock X2, the X2 is worn if I anticipate needing to pack meat over a long distance. Usually wear it when I head into the higher country looking for mule bucks.

I always have:
Warm hat
2 pair gloves
1 knife besides the one on my belt
small diamond sharpener
either a wyoming saw or Granfors wildlife hatchet
Camera
ranger finder
paracord
first aid kit
at leat 1 quart water
food of some sort
1 or 2 lights with spare batteries
TP and wet wipes
orange or pink flagging
spare ammo on my belt
GPS if new country
Binos around my neck
Spotting scope, sometimes not always
space blanket
lighter and matches
fire starter

There is probably more, but that is most of it. I have used all at one time or another.
In my eberlestock x1 I carry the rifle of the day in the scabbard on my back, a full water bladder, some food, a havalon piranta with some extra blades, paracord, fire starter, wyoming saw, ten extra cartridges, and two Gatorade in the bottle holders on the sides. If I'm hunting in tricky private/public lands I will carry my GPS with land status chip.
Going to carry a small cyalume stick in my pack this year, should make it easier to find something I may have to leave behind and then come back for when it's dark....
Guys I'd really like to encourage everyone to have a small First Aid kit of some sort.

Mine is in a small flat plastic 'box'. It has small & large band aids, 1 needle, antibiotic cream etc. the box and contents are small and the weight is negligible.

For yuse older guys on blood thinner -- good band aids are important.
Ask me how I know. <grin>

Jerry
Power bars (2)
Gatoraide (1)
surgical gloves (3 pair)
socks (1 pair)
Matches (2 small boxes, packed separately in waterproof containers)
Firestarters (at least two different kinds)
Flagging tape (6 precut pieces)
Skinning knife
Boneing knife
para cord (6 ft)
Ammo (extra 10 rounds)
Twine for attaching carcass tag
Whistle
Compass or GPS
Map

If I am way out in the back of beyond, I will also carry a GPS, map, lightweight shelter, a small FA kit, and more food.

BH63

I wont mention my full pack, but a few things I have not seen on the list:

Sagen saw - handy for cutting pelvis
Pee Bottle - old quart drink bottle so I dont have to let it fly off the deer stand.
Heat seat - Must have in MN for the deer stand.
2 orange cloths / bandana's - use these hang in trees when tracking on a thin blood trail or to mark where you shot on at a deer on the trail so the buddies come to help know where to look. Flagging tape doesn't work as well as a square cloth because it blends in with the thin white popple trees.

I try to get most of my stuff in the back of thin nylon orange bird vest that I wear under my heavy jacket(s) to minimize pack size. The thin vest lets me keep stuff on my body, take jackets on to regulate heat, stay legal when I am gutting or working hard dragging a deer.

Two drag ropes. One for the obvious and the other for making a double loop shoulder strap set up and roll up my heavy jacket to keep my hands free when walking or dragging.

BTW - film canisters can be found fee at older camera shops that develop film, but those supplies are drying up with time. I like to put the PJCB's in a double bagged sandwich bags because the container is soft and squishy to fit in pockets better.
I keep many items on me in case I get separated from my pack or am hanging from a safety strap. Always need the ability to start fire, call or text someone, whistle to signal (versus screaming...), and a knife to cut myself down with.
BUMP

I pulled this OP up from 3/16 to RE read the posts of others to remind myself of a few ideas and others might be interested.

I have refreshed my first aid kit and put in new latex gloves along with new batteries in my headlight.

BTW - SKANE I ain't usin a cougher OR butt out (tool) grin.

I'm NOT talking 'backpack hunting' just a Day Hunt Pack. What do you NORMALLY carry for A Day Hunt?

I like/prefer light weight rifles because you carry them in your hands & arms. A heavy rifle becomes a burden during hours of Still Hunting/Stalking. In a Stand (shooting house as some call them) a heavy rifle doesn't make a diff.

This pic is of my backpack and what I "normally" tote ON MY BACK for a Day Hunt. It 'averages' 12 lbs. It'll vary a little but not a whole lot. I also carry light shooting sticks but they are NOT usually in the pack.

[Linked Image]

The pack itself is a 'Remington' brand and has multiple pockets. There is 1 pocket in the very top + 2 side pockets & 1 interior divider.

From the Back-Left to Back Right.

L R F >>>>Pruner
Headlamp >>>>Saw
>>>>Drag Rope<<<<

The drag rope is not essential but I've been packin one so long it has become a habit. I do use it often enuff to justify packin it.

If you use a smart phone, you can enlarge and see more details of the pic.

Jerry

edit to SAY what I's thinkin! smirk

I carry less and less, but I do carry a sandwich size zip lock bag to put my punched tag in and then use a large safety pin to pin the bagged tag inside the ear.
Headlamp, leatherman, game bags, rubber gloves, a few water bottles, rain coat, spotter and tripod, black tape, stocking cap, plenty of azzwipe(just in case...grin), extra ca'tridges for whichever rifle I am packing, couple granola bars, a smooshed up bologna sandwich, open reed coyote call, and my camera..
In my daypack: Headlamp and spare AA's, tag and holder, extra ammo, grunt tube (sometimes), face mask, drag rope, buck folder knife, GPS, H20 in collapsible canteen, folding saw, TP, snacks, Heavy duty Garbage bag, emergency space blanket, fire starting kit, fleece vest, (sometimes a poncho).
Depending on the season i sometimes have Glovemitts, knit hat, heat packs, and a small thermos of black coffee.

No butt out though!
Food , knife, food, small binos, food, water, food, rope, food, flashlite, food, grunt, food, TP, food, gloves and usually some food.
© 24hourcampfire