Home
Posted By: roundoak Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
Buck on my trailcam about year and half ago.
6:22 AM

Iron sights - shoot or no shoot?

Scope sights - shoot or no shoot?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
Provided it's legal shooting time...

[Linked Image]

Boom. cool

Posted By: roundoak Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
Using the Wisconsin DNR shooting hour formula for southwest Wisconsin on that date 6:11 AM would have been legal.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
Wouldnt be real crazy shooting not knowing what is on the horizon behind it. NO shoot
Posted By: SKane Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
That would have been my only issue. (horizon)
Posted By: yeselk Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
I won't shoot unless I can see dirt behind him.
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
Originally Posted by cv540
Wouldnt be real crazy shooting not knowing what is on the horizon behind it. NO shoot

This type of discretion for safety is why we still have rights concerning Firearms and Hunting. smile

Good call...It would be a no for me too. I have actually been in this exact position looking through a scope with the safety off a couple times and let them go in the name of safety.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
Originally Posted by roundoak
Buck on my trailcam about year and half ago.
6:22 AM

Iron sights - shoot or no shoot?

Scope sights - shoot or no shoot?

[Linked Image]

That angle? No. Hell, there's no telling really whether there's anything in front of or behind him that you don't want to shoot, or in front of him that would screw up the shot.

Same situation from an elevated position (tree stand, tripod, elevated blind), and assuming a decent scope to see the situation better, and that's a dead buck.

Iron sights? No, not even from an elevated position. Just not enough clarity on what's in front of him to call it a clean shot.
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
It would be pretty hard to explain why you have no tag for that Doe standing right behind him that just by chance happened to go down too.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/08/16
No way. Identify your target and what's beyond it.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
Good to see everyone conscious of one of the hunter safety tenets.

"Be certain of your target and what's beyond it."
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
I'm guessing no one owns good binoculars.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And Im guessing whoever set up the trail cam knows whats beyond that target, so that would dictate the safety factor involved.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
And photograph facing the sun is different than what one will actually see.
Posted By: SKane Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And Im guessing whoever set up the trail cam knows whats beyond that target, so that would dictate the safety factor involved.

+1.....and, +1. smile
Posted By: battue Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
Had the same situation standing on the far crest. Watched him for over 30 minutes while he ate red berries off a bush and he stayed crested the entire time until it became dark. 235 yards away. Scattered houses inside 2 miles. Another guy killed him next year. Huge hog of a non-typical.

[Linked Image]

Now what? About 20 yards away and there are scattered houses within a mile behind. Horns?

[Linked Image]

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
Ahh....let him walk he's just not big enough..... whistle

smile
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
The obvious answer is do not shoot. But we are lacking a bit of info. It looks like it might be a gentle slope going up behind him. If you were in a 10 foot tripod you might be shooting into the ground. But, form the angle of the picture, it's a do NOT shoot, Joe.
Posted By: jwall Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/09/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

I agree with the 'hunter' knowing his terrain and what is/not in background.

In Ark. where I hunt, we wouldn't have to be concerned about another deer behind the one in the scene>BECAUSE we have such a liberal bag limit.
However, IF there was a small buck W/O 3 pts. on 1 side, it's illegal.

Best not to shoot but under certain circumstances very tempting.

Jerry
Posted By: bangeye Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/10/16
Not with standing the background issue I had a shot under similar lighting a several years ago at a deer walking past my stand. I picked an opening in the trees for line of fire and touched one off when he stepped into it. I had been reading about shooting in low light though I had never done it . When the rifle went off I was immediately blinded by the muzzle flash to a point it took me a good 30 minutes sitting there in the blind to regain my vision enough to climb down. I heard him shuffle off to my left but didn't see a reaction to the shot etc. I finally got down and by then it was getting much lighter but I never did find any blood ,hair or the deer. I saw spots for the rest of the day. So no I wouldn't shoot when it's that dark even though it's legal time.
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/10/16
Originally Posted by bangeye
Not with standing the background issue I had a shot under similar lighting a several years ago at a deer walking past my stand. I picked an opening in the trees for line of fire and touched one off when he stepped into it. I had been reading about shooting in low light though I had never done it . When the rifle went off I was immediately blinded by the muzzle flash to a point it took me a good 30 minutes sitting there in the blind to regain my vision enough to climb down. I heard him shuffle off to my left but didn't see a reaction to the shot etc. I finally got down and by then it was getting much lighter but I never did find any blood ,hair or the deer. I saw spots for the rest of the day. So no I wouldn't shoot when it's that dark even though it's legal time.

Very good point about Muzzle Flash. This is why I would never own another handgun with a compensator. I just might have need to make a second shot in low light conditions in order to successfully defend my own person.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/11/16
I would not take that shot.. Too many unknowns..
Posted By: BH63 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/11/16
Depends on if I knew what was on the other side. I would probably watch him for a few seconds to ensure there wasn't other animals hidden around him.

Many Wildlife Officers will give you a free pass, if you accidentally kill another animal via a shoot through, provided visibility of the other animal was limited by tall grass, brush, etc.

If in doubt, shoot is my motto! (just kidding).

BH63
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/11/16
I'd flame that buck. I spent many years bowhunting, and the biggest mistake most new bowhunters make is hesitating when they should have taken the shot. I thought I'd get a better angle... blah blah blah. Too many TV shows i say. It's all about confidence and knowing your skill level. If you don't have the skill to make a shot, don't, but that's not a difficult shot.

Shoot that deer down.
Posted By: pointer Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/11/16
BANG!
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/11/16
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My thoughts exactly.

+1

donsm70
Posted By: barm Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/14/16
I would say don't shoot. No idea where the bullet may go if you hit or miss. I always check for a safe back stop.
Posted By: deflave Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/14/16
Plenty of places I'd take that shot.

Plenty of places I wouldn't.

Dave
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Shoot or don't shoot. - 04/21/16
In 2015 I was involved with a number of shot where we waited for legal hunting hours to start, and shot right on the minute.

In two cases, that does not mean there is enough light to easily find the deer or antelope.

One, we searched for an hour, and then as we were giving up and leaving, we found it right in front of us.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
No way. Identify your target and what's beyond it.

Exactly..
© 24hourcampfire