Home
I'll start:

It's obvious to anybody with half a brain (Savage99 qualifies) that a .243 Winchester is far better than a .223 Remington because of the extra .019" in bullet diameter--about the thickness of the average fingernail.
But the .22 rimfire is perfectly adequate.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
But the .22 rimfire is perfectly adequate.

The 22 LR is for children, women, and those recoil sensitive men. Real men hunt with the 22 Magnum wink
I've no issues with 22LR.
I have witnessed the effectiveness of a 22-250 on mule deer. Worked like a charm.
It's the knockdown power that makes the .243 so much better, not the extra .019".

Duh.
If I had a dollar for every one of these type threads I've read, I could buy enough .224 63gr. SMPs to fill my deer tags for the rest of my life.
Originally Posted by justin10mm
If I had a dollar for every one of these type threads I've read, I could buy enough .224 63gr. SMPs to fill my deer tags for the rest of my life.

Too much bullet, hoss.
So I guess if .22s aren't any good for deer, a .17 or a .204 is better???

wink wink wink
For deer? That's silly... course it's not enough for deer.

Nothing bigger than a tiger with 22 centerfires.

[Linked Image]
A .22 with a TTSX will bang flop any animal on planet earth.
I, for one, am not going to say the .243 is "far better" than the .223 for deer.
If I'm looking for "far better," I'd describe such a round as being .264-.308 in diameter, firing a bullet weighing between 130-150 grs. at a velocity of 2800-3000 fps.
I borrowed this description from John Wootters great book, "Hunting Throphy Deer." He was describing ideal rounds for hunting big, experienced bucks that are often taken while running. Not the type of hunter that shoots what's legal and under less difficult shooting conditions.
Even with a "less than ideal hit," like one too far back, they often kill pretty quickly assuming one is using fast opening bullets. Not only that, but such loads often leave a good blood trail if it's needed. E
I have a 22-250 and a 30-06 to chose from for deer and antelope. I'll take the 30-06. It weighs a lb less.
Originally Posted by GunLoony88

wink wink wink

If they'd make a .20 cal 40 train TTSX..... whistle
Originally Posted by Calhoun

[Linked Image]

Thats a small tiger...and the Savage Hi=power is actually a .227.

No fair.
Originally Posted by ingwe

wink wink wink

But would this not cause over penetration? grin

wink wink wink

Needless overkill. I've already killed deer with a 5mm Remingtom magnum. The .204" 38 gr. PLHP made them all the way dead.
I can vouch for the fact that .22 centerfires are NO good for deer. Every one I shot with one dropped on the spot. Relaxed deer,from a good rest. Shot in the neck bone close to the head,with a 22/250 and a 60gr Nosler or 55gr Hornady spire point. Didn't do the deer ANY good what so ever. Gotta say. Over penetration wasn't a problem.
22 centerfires take the fun out of tracking wounded deer.
Damn things are no good on oryx either....no tracking...

[Linked Image]

Didn't get to track any pigs either....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Maybe if I used a bigger gun and shot them in the wrong spot I'd get in a little tracking practice....
I should have known better than to open a thread that begins with "At Ingwe's urging"..... laugh laugh

Words hurt.....
laughBWAHAHAHAHA, You're a "Stunting Enabler" grin
And no, I can't afford your course. ;]
Perhaps we could work out a trade, my course for .303 doubles.....or something like that.... whistle
Ya, then you would show me how it's supposed to be shot too. cry
I wonder out of all the pigs shot at the 24Hour Hog Hunt this spring how many were killed with a .223. I killed 2 with mine. I think Ingwe killed 2 or 3.
Heck, the 243 is too small for deer. A 270 is bare minimum and that's for those that can't recoil of real cartridges. laugh

wink wink wink

I've had that same thought.

But, you gotta be careful. A LA hunter killed a really nice buck with a .204, got himself into a heap of trouble with Wildlife and Fisheries; .22 cal is the min legal allowed, .204 is illegal.

But, only if you get caught... shocked

He didn't know the law, admitted to the .204. I don't think game wardens could look at a WT carcass and tell a .204 hole from a .224 hole... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

No fair.

That thing is a bag of bones. A mini mag solid behind the ear would of fixed his wagon.
What's really funny is reading posts over on long range hunting. A .243 for deer is, gasp, so puny...
This oughta really spin up Savage 99

grin

[Linked Image]

There is also a .218 Bee around here, somewhere...

I may use a 223 this year. It's been a few years since I deer hunted with one, but I think it's about time to do it again.
DF: theres gonna be a .204 at the pig hunt this year.... whistle
Darrick, that Benchmark Barrel you sold me with the 1 in 8 twist is on the McFlame in .223AI....very possibly my favorite rifle now....

[Linked Image]

Oh...and I believe it was you that gave me the idea for that stock too....

You're a bad influence! I think I'll put you on ignore! laugh
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I wonder out of all the pigs shot at the 24Hour Hog Hunt this spring how many were killed with a .223. I killed 2 with mine. I think Ingwe killed 2 or 3.

Charles Ive killed all of my pigs with the .223AI except one in Tenn. when 7x57 Steve loaned me an exquisite Ruger#1-S in .38-55

Kinda hard to turn that down, so I went "Big-Bore" on him! laugh
Tom,

Some guy in Tennessee talked me out of my McFlame. I wish I had that one back! I'm still holding on to a Benchmark mountain rifle contour blank just in case...

If photobucket was working for me, I'd post a pic of that beauty!
That BASTARD
Darrick, that Benchmark Barrel you sold me with the 1 in 8 twist is on the McFlame in .223AI....very possibly my favorite rifle now....

[Linked Image]

How many years did it take us to get you to finally do a 1-8" twist....
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Tom,

Some guy in Tennessee talked me out of my McFlame. I wish I had that one back! I'm still holding on to a Benchmark mountain rifle contour blank just in case...

Its working for me and I kept your pic for inspiration!

[Linked Image]

Just because that was such a beautiful gesture on my part I thought you might want to relinquish your hold on the Mtn. Contour Barrel..... whistle
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

How many years did it take us to get you to finally do a 1-8" twist....

GFY

I hate it when you're right.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Tom,

[Linked Image]

Just because that was such a beautiful gesture on my part I thought you might want to relinquish your hold on the Mtn. Contour Barrel..... whistle

That one is crying out to become a 220AI
That BASTARD

I think I'll trade him a muzzleloader and a smoker for it....

[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie never told me he killed a tiger with a 22 Savage Hi Power....

No fair.

If a .308 is a 30 cal, and a .358 is a 35 cal, then a .228 is a 22 cal.

Ha.

[Linked Image]

270?
Well, I have to agree. Way too much gun. The ones I killed with a .223, it just zipped right on through. With an itty bitty gun like that a person really needs the bullet to stay in the deer and expend all it's energy there. I was so demoralized that instead of killing deer with a rifle last year I used arrows.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[Linked Image]

270?

The 22HP works fine on Deer! 228 dim and 70 grain bullet is the ticket.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[Linked Image]

270?

Yes...I would tell everyone that as well.
Originally Posted by MILES58
Well, I have to agree. Way too much gun. The ones I killed with a .223, it just zipped right on through. With an itty bitty gun like that a person really needs the bullet to stay in the deer and expend all it's energy there. I was so demoralized that instead of killing deer with a rifle last year I used arrows.

Did they stay in, or 'pencil on through'...?

Did they stay in, or 'pencil on through'...?

The .223s were with Barnes 53s went though like I said, but I wouldn't really describe them as penciling through. Pretty fat pencil IMO. Them arrows though, they went right on through just made a little three cornered star through the heart. In the top and out the bottom
This thread is a perfect excuse to use the 22-250 for Mule deer this fall. Boringly effective 64gr Winchester power points at 3350fps. None have bounced off yet.
Ingwe's gonna corrupt you guys into stunt shooters.

DFf
I just loaded up a bunch of .222s for my Ruger #1 as it will need to kill a pig or two in the coming year. Also loaded up some 45 Grain Hornadys for the .204

It needs to kill a pig too. grin

New dimensions to stunt shooting..... cool
Originally Posted by baltz526
This thread is a perfect excuse to use the 22-250 for Mule deer this fall. Boringly effective 64gr Winchester power points at 3350fps. None have bounced off yet.

.22-250 is a bit much for mule deer don't you think? grin
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DFf
Nope.

[Linked Image]
.22 caliber must be too small as WA state says so....😜
Olympia is well known for it's well-founded decisions. mad
A couple of days after this lefty Ruger American 223 came in, I grabbed a handful of 65 grain Sierra Gameking handloads I had made for an AR I had. I mounted the scope at the range, took a couple of shots to bore sight it at 50, and shot a three shot group at 100. A week later, I took this buck at about 50 yards. Bullet didn't exit but did the job.

I'm about to start working up a load with either 55 or 62 grain ttsx.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Filled my freezers for many years with one...
Yeah Pat, but I've been told numerous times you can't kill BIG deer with a cf .22...

Wisdom of the 'fire...

Sure wish you could though! grin

<SNORK!>

Ive killed a couple dinks.....didnt give them a chance to grow up like your deer...

[Linked Image]
Son went two for two with his .223 at six years old. Plenty of killing power, but not much blood trail.

Friend who hunts a mile away from me, carries a 300 Ultra for the bucks, and a .22-250 for the does. He hunts a long road through his CRP.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DFf
Nope.

[Linked Image]

What's your best .460 wabbit load...?

Good expansion, penciling thru, retained bullets, etc....? wink

DF
Seems to me that PO Ackley played with a
14 caliber with solid copper bullets.It was a necked down 221 Fireball. There was a 22lr necked down called 14 Jones.
I guess my 35 Whelen can only be used on elephants from now on?
whelennut
Name 'em:

[Linked Image]
Perhaps we could work out a trade, my course for .303 doubles.....or something like that.... whistle

Ah, wait a minute Ingwe, get in line...if that's the one Gunner let me shoot in TN. cool grin
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Name 'em:

[Linked Image]

52 gr Sierra flat base sp
55 gr Barnes TSX
55 gr Sierra BTSP
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Ah, wait a minute Ingwe, get in line...if that's the one Gunner let me shoot in TN. cool grin

BWAHAHA, that's it WN, and you rang steel with it off sticks at 100 yards, two perfect hits in two shots, both barrels! laugh
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Name 'em:

[Linked Image]

60gr SP
62gr TSX
65gr GK
No and no.

It is a .224 70 TSX flanked by a .243 Hdy 87 SP and a .243 100 SGK.

Have taken multiple deer with all 3 offerings. The smaller TSX penetrates the furthest. All 3 kill quickly.

I only threw that out there cuz I already had the pic. It was used in reference to another "the 223 is too small for deer" conversation.....
I guess I could put the .218 Bee to work. smile Though I'll have to figure out what bullet will stabilize in it, and still not blow up on a rib. frown
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I guess I could put the .218 Bee to work. smile Though I'll have to figure out what bullet will stabilize in it, and still not blow up on a rib. frown

Hey Tex, the 45 gr TSX is your huckleberry, my 22 hornet is 16 twist and will stabilize it at 2900 fps, isn't the Bee a bit hotter than the Hornet?
Patrick: you can borrow My #1-A in .222 grin I'll probably have to bring it to the pig hunt.....
Are you gonna be on the hunt for one of the new fine walnut stocked Ruger #1's in the famed 275 Rigby Poobs?
Originally Posted by gunner500

Hey Tex, the 45 gr TSX is your huckleberry, my 22 hornet is 16 twist and will stabilize it at 2900 fps, isn't the Bee a bit hotter than the Hornet?

Yep. The only load I have tried so far is the 40gr Ballistic Tip, and it runs 3200+ out of the #1's 26" barrel.

[Linked Image]

If it won't shoot the TSX, there is a 46gr Speer flat point, that is made for the Bee.
That is nice, lil-gun is the shizzle in my hornet with the 45 gr tsx, it may work well in your Bee.

BWAHAHA, that's it WN, and you rang steel with it off sticks at 100 yards, two perfect hits in two shots, both barrels! laugh

Gunner: There are some things I'll never forget and that's one of them. Sweet rifle ya got there! Thanks for the opportunity to shoot it!
Let me be the first to say ...

a) I have never hear of anyone saying they saw a deer with a .22 center fire rifle.

b) I have never heard of any deer ask for a .22 center fire rifle.

c) As far as we know a deer would not own one if they could.

So it's viable that they are no good for deer - otherwise we'd seem them with them all the time.

Gunner: There are some things I'll never forget and that's one of them. Sweet rifle ya got there! Thanks for the opportunity to shoot it!

My sincere pleasure Bud from the great white North land of Guinness. wink

My sincere pleasure Bud from the great white North land of Guinness. wink

SLAINTE'
That is nice, lil-gun is the shizzle in my hornet with the 45 gr tsx, it may work well in your Bee.

It also works well in the Bee smile
Patrick: you can borrow My #1-A in .222 grin I'll probably have to bring it to the pig hunt.....

That would be quite an honor, though I still need to blood this .223, of the faux 1 in 8 twist. I think you shot it at the range this year. Might try the 55 TTSX in it. It shoots well with the Berger 77gr OTM

[Linked Image]

Its stainless!....So you can take it out in the rain and mud before you take my .222! grin
Originally Posted by micky
I have witnessed the effectiveness of a 22-250 on mule deer. Worked like a charm.

Sounds to me like stunt shooting.
.22-250 aint stunt shooting...thats easy peasy on deer. Slamo-Dunko...

Stand by for some .222 and .204 stunt shooting in the coming months...
Lotsa redneck kids around here whackem and stackem with .22 LR's and have for as far back as I can remember. Here more lately they been doin em in with 17 HMR's. Funny as shyt all the big white hunters here that think they're accomplishing incredible feats with .22 centerfires.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Lotsa redneck kids around here whackem and stackem with .22 LR's and have for as far back as I can remember. Here more lately they been doin em in with 17 HMR's. Funny as shyt all the big white hunters here that think they're accomplishing incredible feats with .22 centerfires.

pfffftt!!!!

Your kids are citified pussies. Our little girls drop bear and elk w/ red riders and wrist rockets w/ pea gravel. Our boys do their killing w/ hickory sticks, though they do occasionally enjoy some long range killing w/ bamboo arrows and rapjack vine bows. I pity u and your children's pathetic inadequacies.

David
Originally Posted by Canazes9

pfffftt!!!!

Your kids are citified pussies. Our little girls drop bear and elk w/ red riders and wrist rockets w/ pea gravel. Our boys do their killing w/ hickory sticks, though they do occasionally enjoy some long range killing w/ bamboo arrows and rapjack vine bows. I pity u and your children's pathetic inadequacies.

David
The difference is I ain't bullshitin and you are. And a kid here did really get ticketed for killing a deer in his yard with a Sheridan air rifle.

pfffftt!!!!

David
The difference is I ain't bullshitin and you are. And a kid here did really get ticketed for killing a deer in his yard with a Sheridan air rifle.

You're the most pathetic phfuck nuts bullschitter on this site.

Ingwe please note the proper use of your and you're in my posts.

David

pfffftt!!!!

David

David
Think so azzhole ? Well like most here you're fuggin' dead WRONG. I'm one of the few here that isn't full of shyt up to the ears. You are right about one thing though. There are lots of citified puzzies on here and that has been obvious as the nut sack on your chin since day one.

pfffftt!!!!

David

David
Think so azzhole ? Well like most here you're fuggin' dead WRONG. I'm one of the few here that isn't full of shyt up to the ears. You are right about one thing though. There are lots of citified puzzies on here and that has been obvious as the nut sack on your chin since day one.

[video:youtube]ALSC_KSXa-U[/video]

Bless your heart. (Ingwe I want credit for that "your" also).

David
"Sales engineer" BWWWWAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAHA !!! Translation = "citified puzzy dumbfuck"...... And oh yes, I'm really crowing cause I have the audacity to point out that redneck kids have been killing deer with .22 rimfires for generations. What a pitiful f*ckin moron you are.
"Sales engineer" BWWWWAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAHA !!! Translation = "citified puzzy dumbfuck"...... And oh yes, I'm really crowing cause I have the audacity to point out that redneck kids have been killing deer with .22 rimfires for generations. What a pitiful f*ckin moron you are.

Your inbred monobrow cross-eyed spawn are obviously your pride and joy. What a unique pleasure must be yours to have them picked up for poaching so that you can brag about it here. Yes, I certainly am quite civilized in comparison.

Bless your heart.

David

Your inbred monobrow cross-eyed spawn are obviously your pride and joy. What a unique pleasure must be yours to have them picked up for poaching so that you can brag about it here. Yes, I certainly am quite civilized in comparison.

Bless your heart.

David
Lots of big assumptions by a MORON again. My boys have never been picked up for poaching and my daughters are actually model material beautiful and that is no exaggeration. You probably could have had smart, good looking kids too if it weren't for that whole "heredity" thing getting in your way.
Gotta be one of the biggest "Who Gives a Shidt?" topics in the realm of the shooting/hunting sports.

No offense intended to the OP or Ingwe of course... smile

Got a question....does your dick get longer, the smaller the rifle you use to kill deer? confused grin

David

It is duly noted and I am duly impressed. Shows good emotional control during a pizzing match.

But then again, you are matching wits with the unarmed.....
GFY ingwe. Oh and BTW, you won't be covering any new ground by killing deer with your .222 and .204. No point in it at all except perhaps for you to irritate Savage 99, post more pictures and crow about what a talented "stunt shooter" you are. You really are rather childish most of the time but I suppose that does go along with dementia and should be no surprise at your age.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grin
[Linked Image]
You really are rather childish most of the time but I suppose that does go along with dementia and should be no surprise at your age.

The thing is, he's not a dick.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by smokepole
You really are rather childish most of the time but I suppose that does go along with dementia and should be no surprise at your age.

Ive got him on ignore...did he say that stuff about me? shocked

If thats the case, then....

[Linked Image]

and....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Got a question....does your dick get longer, the smaller the rifle you use to kill deer? confused grin
I'm sure the only way your dick gets longer is through the use of Viagra and watching gay porn.

That's only a matter of opinion and yours don't count for shyt.

That's only a matter of opinion and yours don't count for shyt.

Opinions are like assh*les, but you are one.
I'm sure the only way your dick gets longer is through the use of Viagra and watching gay porn.

So says the Redneck Queen from the wilds of NY farm country....LMAO! where you can't walk a mile without bumping into another road. That's REAL country! Takes a REAL hunter to conquer THAT turf. Laffin....

Any idiot can kill a dink NY deer with anything from a slingshot on up. They are so crammed into the farm country woodlots that they are inbred dopes and the stupid is bred right into them......I hunt it once a decade for amusement after I've hunted the real good places. You're hilarious!

This the same guy who won't hunt 4 hours from home because it takes him too far from his Christmas shopping? Wow.

Ingwe left you behind when he was 10 years old. Listening to a do nothing , noise making braggart like you trimming him down is just the funniest thing I can think of.

What a zero.
GFY ingwe. Oh and BTW, you won't be covering any new ground by killing deer with your .222 and .204. No point in it at all except perhaps for you to irritate Savage 99, post more pictures and crow about what a talented "stunt shooter" you are. You really are rather childish most of the time but I suppose that does go along with dementia and should be no surprise at your age.

This is the funniest part. You're (Ingwe - gold star for me) the only one on this thread stupid enough to not get the joke.

Bless your heart.

David
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That fûcking rabbit doesn't know what he's talking about.

Where's that guy with the 460 rabbit slayer?
Originally Posted by kingston

Getting his retina reattached.
.22-250 aint stunt shooting...thats easy peasy on deer. Slamo-Dunko...

Stand by for some .222 and .204 stunt shooting in the coming months...
22-250 with 55 Sierra Gamekings, 60 grain Partitions and 70 grain Speers have killed many deer for me just as fast as a 270, 30-06 and 300s.
Poke him with those 55s and 60s running 3500+ and they are generally laying right where they stood, if they do run it wont be over 25 yards, assuming a guy can half ass shoot.

222 and 223 with same pills basically same results.
Originally Posted by kingston

Right chere.

[Linked Image]
It's always amazing how some people think .224's are inadequate for deer, but think 6mm's aren't. Yes, 6mm bullets are larger than .224's, by about the weight of one or two air-rifle pellets, and thickness of the average human fingernail. Wow! That'll make a difference!
Blackheart doesn't realize that we...especially me...idolize him and revel in his exploits....

[Linked Image]
Poobs, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves

Blackheart is a world class pistols mitt producing high class 1911s....world class, except he works for someone else and Noone has ever heard of him.

He also drives the most bad as super duper 4x4 on the planet...known as the Ford exploder....er explorer
[Linked Image]

So says the Redneck Queen from the wilds of NY farm country....LMAO! where you can't walk a mile without bumping into another road. That's REAL country! Takes a REAL hunter to conquer THAT turf. Laffin....

Any idiot can kill a dink NY deer with anything from a slingshot on up. They are so crammed into the farm country woodlots that they are inbred dopes and the stupid is bred right into them......I hunt it once a decade for amusement after I've hunted the real good places. You're hilarious!

This the same guy who won't hunt 4 hours from home because it takes him too far from his Christmas shopping? Wow.

Ingwe left you behind when he was 10 years old. Listening to a do nothing , noise making braggart like you trimming him down is just the funniest thing I can think of.

What a zero.
Geezus you are so full of shyt and so full of yourself it would take a book to straighten you out and I ain't got that much time to waste on the likes of you. Suffice it to say, I don't really live or hunt in farm country. On the edge of it just north of the Catskills yes but I haven't hunted farm land in years. Most of my hunting has been in state forest land where there aren't any farms, fields, crops or food plots of any kind within miles. No bait piles, feeders, four wheelers or tree stands either. The deer population is much thinner and the forest more expansive than on the farmland you hunted before. In the past I've hunted the farmlands of central NY and the finger lakes region extensively and know exactly what I'm talking about.
Did you boys know Blackhart made a Deer hunting video? He's still a little slow on getting the safety off, but I'm sure will eventually get it....

The Legend on the hunt in NY:

I guess 22 CF isn't enough for lion.
Na, he had a soft heart for the little guy. Touching moment.
Ta bring this all back on toppic folxs, let me get this rite.

You are mostlee agreein' a .223 centerfire bullet (or .227/.228 in some cases) will kill deers dead?

Therefor, shoold I choes to use my 9.3 (.366) for deer this year they should be 1.641255605381166 times deader.

Assumin' the .22 centerfire is .223 of course.
366/.223 = 1.641255605381166

Should it be one a dem ol' bullet style of .224 my maths will need correctin'. (the deers should still be dead though, right?)

If mathman is around he can check my figurin' to more decimal points I'm sure. I bet he has a way mo betta calcumalator then eye does. (Mebbe a better spel shecker two!)

Geno

PS, an' tell that feller wit the arra's he mite wants ta yous blunts, them sharp wons is way overpentratin'.

I'm going to make a confession here.

Back on the old AllOutdoors.com, I can remember being one of those who opined that shooting deer .223 REM was a stunt. If you look back far enough, you all might find me writing somethin similar here. I repented all of that. I remember specifically in 2002 trying to work up a deer load for my Mini-14. That was about the same time I started thinking 44 Mag with a pistol would be fun. Both of those projects got put on the back burner. The latter I gave up, because even with plugs and muffs, I could not see any load with that much shock and awe at the muzzle being a good idea.

In the intervening years, I have been acquiring a lot of deer rifles and shooting my share of deer. The rack also has 4 .223 REM rifles, the most recent I acquired over the winter. It's a Ruger American Predator.

My confession to you is that in 15 deer seasons, I just cannot seem to bring myself to pick a .223 REM rifle when it is time to go deer hunting. The best I've managed is to bring an older Savage along as a back-up gun once about 10 years ago.

I've used 25-06 to 35 Whelen. I've acquired over a half dozen 30-06's. I have deer rifles for treestands and ground blinds, deer rifles for stalking in dry leaves and banging about in the rain. I just can't bring myself to cross the line.

There are 50 rounds of Winchester 64 grain Powerpoints sitting on top of a goodly amount of H4895 mocking me on the shelf right now. What should I do?

Its OK....you are gradually coming over to the dark side...

As they say in so many therapies....baby steps..... grin

You have .223 rifles out the ying yang, 64 grain bullets...you're getting there.....

You might consider "crossing the line" in an area or at a time when all you have in hand is a doe tag, and gradually work your way up to the big boys...

When I 'made the transition' there were no premium bullets, so I loaded up my .223 with 60 grain Hornady soft points and jumped in with both feet,filling three tags on day one..a whitetail doe, a mule deer doe, and a nice four point mule deer buck.
They all died as quick as usual with any rifle, so I was off and running!

( however, I must confess I have a preference for premium bullets in the little guns...no real reason or bad experiences..I just feel better....)

You have .223 rifles out the ying yang, 64 grain bullets...you're getting there.....

You might consider "crossing the line" in an area or at a time when all you have in hand is a doe tag, and gradually work your way up to the big boys...

When I 'made the transition' there were no premium bullets, so I loaded up my .223 with 60 grain Hornady soft points and jumped in with both feet,filling three tags on day one..a whitetail doe, a mule deer doe, and a nice four point mule deer buck.

( however, I must confess I have a preference for premium bullets in the little guns...no real reason or bad experiences..I just feel better....)
Three in one day? Man, you must have been tired of gutting and dragging deer after that.
1st deer I ever shot was with a .25-06. 10 yards & down. 2nd deer was a doe, shot with the same rifle & load. Perfect hit, broadside, behind shoulder. Doe jumps fence, runs like hell, zig-zagging through brush, winds up 100 yards away, and I have trouble finding her - one little spot of blood, and hard ground. The bullet had actually deflected off a rib and went out her belly. I wasn't happy and started using bigger cartridges, and had better results.

Had a buddy who had a .22-250 and swore it was the best thing on deer he'd ever seen. Get a few beers in him, he admitted to wounding and losing some animals, including the biggest deer he'd ever seen.

A few years later I got a chrono, shot some of my .25-06 loads over it, and realized I'd been under-loading it. Also realized the 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips were actually a varmint bullet, which probably explained the funky results on the doe.

Took one spike with a .223 AR, previously pictured. Also took a doe with Dad's old .25-06, this time loading 110gr Accubonds. Both kills were quick & satisfactory.

I guess this year I could use my .218 Bee...or Dad's old 180 Series Mini-14. grin
just getting back from a couple of weeks traveling, attending a campfire get2gether in New Mexico and taking the long way home, allowing the wife to see a couple of National Parks she's never seen.....so bare with me here....

didn't read the entire thread...

but a thread about 22 calibers and deer hunting, on the 24 Hour Campfire...

based on past experience, what could possibly go wrong...

whistle
1st deer I ever shot was with a .25-06. 10 yards & down. 2nd deer was a doe, shot with the same rifle & load. Perfect hit, broadside, behind shoulder. Doe jumps fence, runs like hell, zig-zagging through brush, winds up 100 yards away, and I have trouble finding her - one little spot of blood, and hard ground. The bullet had actually deflected off a rib and went out her belly. I wasn't happy and started using bigger cartridges, and had better results.

Had a buddy who had a .22-250 and swore it was the best thing on deer he'd ever seen. Get a few beers in him, he admitted to wounding and losing some animals, including the biggest deer he'd ever seen.

A few years later I got a chrono, shot some of my .25-06 loads over it, and realized I'd been under-loading it. Also realized the 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips were actually a varmint bullet, which probably explained the funky results on the doe.

Took one spike with a .223 AR, previously pictured. Also took a doe with Dad's old .25-06, this time loading 110gr Accubonds. Both kills were quick & satisfactory.

I guess this year I could use my .218 Bee...or Dad's old 180 Series Mini-14. grin

What year, and how did you come to realize this?
they would have been bought around 1990-92. I got my first chrono probably 6-7 years later. So over 20 years ago. I know they have since been toughened up.
That's before I got into them, didn't have a quarter bore at the time.

You guys are gonna keep this up and I'm gonna have to build a fast twist 22-250, then set back and drill to A.I when the throats torched. grin
I'm going to the Cape next May.
Part of the adventure is a cull hunt.
20+ PG per shooter.
Asked the PH what rifle I should pack on those days.......he said,

"A .223 would be fun."
Ingwe has "urges?" I could've gone all year without hearing about those.

Many thanks for your advice.

Okay, Let's say I sate my bloodlust on The Opener and send a goodly buck to his demise. I now have a fortnight left in which to fill my freezer. This is Zone 1 of Kentucky, so I can take any number of doe I choose. I vow that this is the year the slope-heads will feel the wrath of my less-than-mighty Double-Deuce.

What is going to be the effective range of this round on a 140-170#-ish whitetail? I'm thinking it would be better than a 357 Magnum out of a carbine, but somewhat less than a 30-30 Win. Using the 1000fpe rule of thumb, I'm thinking 80 yards at most.

The reason I'm trying to pin this down, is that I have over a dozen proven hunting venues on the farm. Most of the treestands are in deep woods. Most of the ground blinds overlook open fields. The late season freezer fillers are usually taken at 150-175 yards. That may be a bit too far for the .223 REM.

Occasionally, I get a doe or button coming close. In fact, I had a button buck last year that used to bed next to my luxury box. You could hear Lil Buttons breathing on the other side of the plywood. At one point he his snuck his mother along, and we all met up as I was backing out the hatch going in for lunch.

The first option I see is, rather than try again for a lawn-dart-through-the-skull shot out of the stand, I should leave the Jarts at home this year and attempt taking one with .223 Rem instead. The other possibility is that I eschew the ball-peen hammer and oatmeal cookies and concentrate on the odd doe that decides to munch rye grass 50 yards from my Barcalounger.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

grin

Best post so far. Proves bigger is better.
Originally Posted by shaman

Okay, Let's say I sate my bloodlust on The Opener and send a goodly buck to his demise. I now have a fortnight left in which to fill my freezer. This is Zone 1 of Kentucky, so I can take any number of doe I choose. I vow that this is the year the slope-heads will feel the wrath of my less-than-mighty Double-Deuce.

What is going to be the effective range of this round on a 140-170#-ish whitetail? The late season freezer fillers are usually taken at 150-175 yards. That may be a bit too far for the .223 REM.

OK, first, I don't know what a double deuce is..unless you are referring to a .22lr.

Max range determination is completely arbitrary, but based on your own confidence level. I will admit the little guns need to have their bullets placed almost surgically , but the ease of shooting them allows this.
Personally I like to keep shots with the .223 to 200 yards and under. Give it a little more steam like an AI or a .22-250 then Im happy out to 300 yards.

In all my hunting with all cartridges and on all game 95% of my shots have been 200 yards or under...so the little gun isn't really a handicap.

OK, first, I don't know what a double deuce is..unless you are referring to a .22lr.

Max range determination is completely arbitrary, but based on your own confidence level. I will admit the little guns need to have their bullets placed almost surgically , but the ease of shooting them allows this.
Personally I like to keep shots with the .223 to 200 yards and under. Give it a little more steam like an AI or a .22-250 then Im happy out to 300 yards.

In all my hunting with all cartridges and on all game 95% of my shots have been 200 yards or under...so the little gun isn't really a handicap.

Sorry, no I was thinking 223 REM. I'll leave 22LR to the neighbor kids.

So you endorse using a .223 REM out to 200 yards? OK. I was under the mistaken impression that this was a shorter range proposition. 200 yards makes this seem much more practical. I'm doing some quick calculations as I write: POINTBLANK says a 64 Grain WIN PP travelling at 3000fps at the muzzle has about 800ft/lbs left at 200 yards. This is sufficient?

My main reason for asking is that I moved to 25-06 for coyote at that range.
Don't think about foot-pounds too much. Instead examine the remaining velocity to see if it's sufficient to cause proper expansion of the bullet upon impact.

Sorry, no I was thinking 223 REM. I'll leave 22LR to the neighbor kids.

So you endorse using a .223 REM out to 200 yards? OK. I was under the mistaken impression that this was a shorter range proposition. 200 yards makes this seem much more practical. I'm doing some quick calculations as I write: POINTBLANK says a 64 Grain WIN PP travelling at 3000fps at the muzzle has about 800ft/lbs left at 200 yards. This is sufficient?

[Linked Image]

Nice mature Doe at 225 or 235 (can't remember exactly which) with a .223AI and 62gr Barnes. Two holes and she went straight down. Friend took one with the same rifle at 150 and it ran a tight circle and went down. Cousin used it last year at around 150 at again down right now.

.22-250 at 70 yards went in the front chest and out the hip of a small Doe. 55gr Barnes.

Daughter of a friend has taken a couple with a .223 and Barnes, both around 70. Short run and down.

So you endorse using a .223 REM out to 200 yards? OK. I was under the mistaken impression that this was a shorter range proposition. 200 yards makes this seem much more practical....... POINTBLANK says a 64 Grain WIN PP travelling at 3000fps at the muzzle has about 800ft/lbs left at 200 yards. This is sufficient?

Unless your deer weighs more than 800 pounds, you are good to go! laugh

And Im guessing you're not shooting coyotes for the fur......

The more of this stuff you do the more you'll come to realize that we:

1) Use guns that are too big for the job and

2) use fishing tackle thats too heavy for the job.

Technology has fixed a lot of "what ifs" with premium bullets and super duper braided and other lines....I use the same 5 and 1/2 foot ultralight on creek trout and on Northern pike...
I shot one deer at 340 yards with my .223 years ago and while it did kill it the internal damage was waaaay less than when you shoot one sub 200 yards. It's the only deer I've ever shot past 200 yards with a .223 and the only one that went over 100 yards before it fell. In fact, no other deer I've ever shot with a .222 or .223 has ever gone more than 50-60 yards and that has to be approaching three dozen specimens by now. Consequently, I'm with ingwe on keeping the .223 within 200 yards on deer.
I shot one deer at 340 yards with my .223 years ago and while it did kill it the internal damage was waaaay less than when you shoot one sub 200 yards. It's the only deer I've ever shot past 200 yards with a .223 and the only one that went over 100 yards before it fell. In fact, no other deer I've ever shot with a .222 or .223 has ever gone more than 50-60 yards and that has to be approaching three dozen specimens by now. Consequently, I'm with ingwe on keeping the .223 within 200 yards on deer.

Bet you were sweating your Chistmas shopping that year!

Glad it all worked out for you.

David
... Consequently, I'm with ingwe on keeping the .223 within 200 yards on deer.

My goodness things change fast in just 3 short days!

David
I have a way of winning people over. Its my stellar smile. grin

Ah!

I assumed it was the thong or were you referring to the vertical smile?

David
Most likely bribery. whistle
Its too early to take this kind of abuse.

[Linked Image]
We're not abusing you,Ingwe,it's more like this.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

whistle grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My take on it is yes the 223 will kill a deer just fine or even a avg sized hog. I will also say that seeing pics of animals killed with head shots or even 80 lb does with chest shots don't sway my view that much as I have seen too many cows dropped with a 22 LR behind the ear or between the eyes and small does are not that tuff, I want something a bit larger as often where we hunt shots are offered at deer moving thru the woods be it slowly but they are moving about. Or maybe they aren't moving but thou only see a part of the deer. To use Ingwe"s own words the smaller rounds need to be surgically placed and if a deer is moving its easy to miss your mark by 2-3 inches. I haven't had the time to hunt a wide variety of game that if a 10 point buck or 350 lb hog was to present itself and never presented a clear head shot that I would just think oh well ill get be back tomorrow or next week. So I will restate the premise in the form of a question of the proponents of the 22s for big game how many have shot large hogs with body shots and had them DRT or had to track them thru a swamp bottom. I just prefer something bigger. Now if I was hungry and had a 223 then look out. But Im not
70 TSX through brisket, then heart, then exit rear. 20" barreled AR for size reference:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another 70 TSX from opposite direction. Again penetrated full length of deer and exited:
[Linked Image]

A couple shot via CZ 527 Kevlar 223 and 62 TSX:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you don't think said bullets will reliably kill a hog, I'm not listening......
Once again, here is the pic of a .224 70 TSX flanked by a 6mm 87gr. Hornady SP and a 6mm 100gr. SGK. I have killed deer with all 3. All 3 work well. But the "little one" penetrates the furthest IMO....
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire