Home
Posted By: mathman Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/23/16
I'm interested if anyone has experience with this bullet on deer/pigs when launched at 308 Winchester speed.

And please, for the present purpose I'm not interested whatsoever in other bullets, what they did at 50 yards from a 30-378, questions about motivation for my question, yadda yadda.

Reports of actual experience, good or bad, will be appreciated.
Why not just use a hunting bullet? For fu cks sake. If you can't make a good clean shot with the good old tried and true interlock at any reasonable distance, you shouldn't be hunting. Your idea that you need to always punch paper with target bullets is totally bunk bullchit too. Have a great day... wink
Posted By: mathman Re: Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/23/16
Blow me.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Why not just use a hunting bullet? For fu cks sake. If you can't make a good clean shot with the good old tried and true interlock at any reasonable distance, you shouldn't be hunting. Your idea that you need to always punch paper with target bullets is totally bunk bullchit too. Have a great day... wink

Longer version of my answer:

I do hunt with so called hunting bullets, often Hornady Interlocks for fucks sake.

I don't "have an idea that you need to always punch paper with target bullets." I do know that they are easy to work with, just like good hunting bullets, and the quantity pricing** on the target bullets I buy saves enough on the margin to buy several boxes of "hunting bullets" for game use.

** Buying a thousand or two at a whack.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/23/16
To hunt with bullet that the manufacturer specifically says not recommended for hunting is irresponsible behavior by my ethics.
Who in hell said I was going to hunt with that bullet?
Posted By: SLM Re: Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/23/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Shouldn't you have posted your wore out target pic?
Posted By: 79S Re: Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/23/16
My bud on the reservation loved to use the Sierra 168gr match king damn near the same thing in his 06 and the deer he shot sometimes the bullet wouldn't open up. Killed the deer with no issue..
Thanks, but I'm particularly interested in the Hornady with its secant ogive.
Originally Posted by mathman
Thanks, but I'm particularly interested in the Hornady with its secant ogive.

It probably performs about the same as the Berger vld's the Bergers used a secant ogive as well.
That's part of what I was wondering about and decided to ask if someone had tried them for comparison. No plan to experiment myself.

The Bergers have been good on deer and pigs, but I'm primarily an Interlock and Ballistic Tip user.
I hope someone chimes sorry can't be more of help..
No problem. It was just a wondering that can go unsatisfied.

I got back a while ago from zeroing one of my primary deer/pig rifles, a 700 LVSF 308 in a McMillan Classic. Ballistic Tip 150's at just a bit over 2800 fps. No wondering or questions about that load, it has been great for me before.
Posted By: efw Re: Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/26/16
I use the 168 HPBT Horns for off season stand-ins for the 168 NBT that my 06 loves. Seems to hit identical POI out to 400 which is farthest I can practice.

Haven't run em into meat tho.
Posted By: mathman Re: Hornady .308" 168 BTHP - 07/26/16
I do a similar thing with several 308 rifles. They get the HPBT all summer then BT in the fall.
© 24hourcampfire