Home
Posted By: TurdusMerula Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
Hi all!

New to this forum. Just wanted to say hi from the other side of the pond.
Quarter of the century ago I was an active hunter. Then life happened and hunting was practically forgotten for over two decades. I used to hunt small game.
This summer opportunity came to participate to roe deer/white tail and possible to moose hunts so I got exited and bought myself a rifle as I had sold my earlier years ago. I found a NOS Remington 798 in 30-06 and was a happy man. I have always loved Mauser actioned rifles and now I got a brand new in a classic caliber.

Last saturday I managed to shoot my first ever roe deer. Season for the white tail deer starts in a couple of weeks and I just can't wait.

Attached picture IMG_5342fbb.jpg
Posted By: mudhen Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
Well done! I have fondled a few of those 798s with actions that were very slick and easy to handle. You obviously know how to use yours! Are your white-tailed deer the same genus and species as ours, or is this another instance of a common name being used for more than one species?
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
Congratulations and great shot placement. Good luck with the Whitetails.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Well done! I have fondled a few of those 798s with actions that were very slick and easy to handle. You obviously know how to use yours! Are your white-tailed deer the same genus and species as ours, or is this another instance of a common name being used for more than one species?

I'm pretty sure it's the same as your white tail. Odocoileus virginianus?
I simply love my 798 even as I know it wasn't a great success over there.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
Welcome, Turdus! I visited Finland and did a little hunting last fall. A beautiful country, with many avid shooters and hunters.

Mudhen, their whitetails were transplanted from the U.S. in the 1930's, as I recall from the Midwest. Finland now has the largest non-native population of whitetails in the world. They take around 25,000 a year.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Congratulations and great shot placement. Good luck with the Whitetails.

Thanks!
I used my own handload to shoot this roe. Lapua Naturalis 170gr at about 2700 fps. Worked great.
Going to use it for the white tails too. And for the moose if I get a chance.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Welcome, Turdus! I visited Finland and did a little hunting last fall. A beautiful country, with many avid shooters and hunters.

Mudhen, their whitetails were transplanted from the U.S. in the 1930's, as I recall from the Midwest. Finland now has the largest non-native population of whitetails in the world. They take around 25,000 a year.

Small world smile
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
What scope are you using on the .30/06,Turdus?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
Welcome!!!
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
What scope are you using on the .30/06,Turdus?
I have my old Leupold M8 6x42 I bought in 1989.
Here's photo of my rig

Attached picture _PSK6521fbb.jpg
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/11/16
That's a fine and classic rifle package you have Turdus. Life surely does have a way of sidetracking us at times. Glad for you and welcome to the 24hourcampfire.
Posted By: memtb Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
Turdus, It's folks like you,who make it a small world. Welcome to the fire,and congratulations on your hunt. Best Wishes from state side! memtb
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
Nice. wink
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
Very nice rifle!!! Great photo!
Posted By: SKane Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
TM-
Welcome to the campfire and congrats on your roe deer.

So, tell us a little about the whitetail deer hunting there.
Has to be a rather diverse terrain.

Method of pursuit?

Average weight of a mature buck?

Assuming antler growth is not what it can produce here in the states.

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16

welcome to the Fire........

I'm sure you have a Tikka......or two........ grin
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
Welcome to the fire. Congratulations on your deer.
Originally Posted by SKane
TM-
Welcome to the campfire and congrats on your roe deer.

So, tell us a little about the whitetail deer hunting there.
Has to be a rather diverse terrain.

Method of pursuit?

Average weight of a mature buck?

Assuming antler growth is not what it can produce here in the states.

SKane, we have basically two major ways two hunt deer here. Or three, as we use driven hunt either with just men driving deer towards shooters or small dogs, dachshunds.
Other method is to stalk them at the dawn or dusk. Winter time when we have snow you can stalk them even during the dark ours because the snow gives you light with good quality scope to shoot them in the "darkness"
Terrain is everything between dense forests and open fields.

Weight? Hmmm... Adult buck's weight can vary between 110-220 pounds. I think around 170 pounds might be pretty good buck.

Antlers' width is around 20-24 inches when deer has around 10 spikes.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

welcome to the Fire........

I'm sure you have a Tikka......or two........ grin

Haha, I used to have a custom M65 Tikka in .308 when I was in my twenties. Sold it years ago. It could shoot Sierra's 168gr hpbt's into the same hole all day long.
My father shoots with T3 though smile

Originally Posted by TurdusMerula
Winter time when we have snow you can stalk them even during the dark ours because the snow gives you light with good quality scope to shoot them in the "darkness"

Thank you for your response. This is quite interesting!
How about the rut - when does this occur?

Winter time when we have snow you can stalk them even during the dark ours because the snow gives you light with good quality scope to shoot them in the "darkness"

Yes we can legally hunt at nights and/or darkness. During the wintertime our daylight in the southern parts of the Finland is about 7 hours long. In northern parts, Lappland, sun doesn't rise at all. Kinda like your Alaska.

Rut for the white tail is in November. Roe deer's it's around the end of the July-beginning of the August.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
Congratulations, and welcome!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16

Uh Oh! Scott you might need to be going to Finland to add to your awesome whitetail collection:)
My wife wants to go on vacation next year to somewhere we've never been.

She sees right through Alberta and Saskatchewan around Thanksgiving so that's out. But, Finland? Hmmmmmmmmm. laugh
My wife wants to go on vacation next year to somewhere we've never been.

She sees right through Alberta and Saskatchewan around Thanksgiving so that's out. But, Finland? Hmmmmmmmmm. laugh

Haha! Welcome to the different world smile

Just returned home as I was sitting couple of hours. No roes today. Heard some nearby but didn't show himself this evening.
Nice evening to spend in the forest though smile

Attached picture IMG_5373b.jpg
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16

looks like you need a Marlin 45-70 in that cover......... grin
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/12/16
welcome sir
Posted By: 1minute Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/16/16
Welcome aboard and good luck this fall.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/24/16
So, you've got an American rifle with a Serbian action that you hunt with in Finland.

I've got a Finish rifle (Sako) with a Belgian action (FN) for hunting in America.

I'd say we're even, at least until you kill one of those American whitetails.

Had a good friend at work named Pentti that was from Finland. I used to tease him about riding reindeer to school when he was a boy, even though he was from the city and came to the U.S. when he was about 9.

Welcome.
Welcome!

That rifle photo is exceptional -- obviously when not hunting you are taking photographs.

Isn't the white-tailed deer a fine animal?

Good luck this year!
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So, you've got an American rifle with a Serbian action that you hunt with in Finland.

I've got a Finish rifle (Sako) with a Belgian action (FN) for hunting in America.

Had a good friend at work named Pentti that was from Finland. I used to tease him about riding reindeer to school when he was a boy, even though he was from the city and came to the U.S. when he was about 9.

Welcome.

Thanks!

Yesterday I took my first American white tail with my cosmopolitan rifle smile

Attached picture IMG_5481fbb.jpg
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/26/16
Wonderful! Congratulations!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/26/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Welcome.

Thanks!

Yesterday I took my first American white tail with my cosmopolitan rifle smile

Advantage, Turdus! Congrats.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Greetings from Finland - 09/26/16
Good looking rig,and filling the freezer to boot. Life is good.
© 24hourcampfire