Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Here's a couple of pictures of Maryland bucks taken so far this season by point-ed sticks. The swollen one is actually out-scored by the other one (200 1/8).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Those are some whopper bucks. cool cool
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Geesh...some nice deer. I need to get south of the border.
Posted By: jwall Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
W O W !!! Simply Wow.

After 44 yrs of WT hunting in Ar, La, Miss, & Al I've never seen a buck in the wild like the first one.

Amazing.

Jerry
Posted By: SKane Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Holy smokes!

Congrats to the lucky hunters!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Those are some whopper bucks. cool cool

Either that or gnome deer hunters back there....
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Jerry, during 30+ years hunting Columbia/Lafayette counties I saw two that would compare to those photos. Both were half mile away and on someone else's lease. frown
Posted By: slg888 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Big bucks!, congrats
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Nice bucks! Dont see any that big around here.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Very nice!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
My cousin sent me those pics. The top one was poked with a crossbow, I believe, in St. Mary's County, the other in Prince George's County, where I come from originally.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
And you think that all Maryland is good for is crab cakes and Natty Boh?!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Do they even still make Old One Eye?

I can make my own crabcakes.

Made this one on Tuesday....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: Maryland bucks - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Jerry, during 30+ years hunting Columbia/Lafayette counties I saw two that would compare to those photos. Both were half mile away and on someone else's lease. frown

Web -

Columbia Co is where I first started deer hunting - between Magnolia & Stephens - but I had no experience and no one to be my mentor. So I was 'fumbling' in deer territory. I managed to kill a few deer in Columbia Co. and I saw a dandy buck BUT it wasn't close in size to the one in the first pic.

Jerry
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Maryland bucks - 09/30/16
Wow!
Posted By: benchman Re: Maryland bucks - 09/30/16
I'm in Calvert Co. We have some good ones, too, but I've never seen ones that big!
My best, Calvert County, Md.[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/30/16
Very nice.

My cousin has a 160-class he took in Charles County. He only shoots big 'uns, so doesn't drop the hammer very often.

I saw a monster grazing just off the highway, almost in someone's side yard, down between Tilghman and St. Michaels on my way to Christmas dinner some years back. Lots of points and mass.

Biggest bodied deer I've ever seen was just outside Winchester, VA. Even about 250 yards away, you could almost see the fat rolls on him. Looked like a small steer. Major bone on top too. Right out in the middle of a pasture.

I doubt I've ever seen over a 130 in the woods, if that.
Saw a couple big ones, but those ones in the original post are really something!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Maryland bucks - 09/30/16
Those suburban deer living in small wood lots are able to live long enough avoiding traffic to grow that big. Prince Georges, Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties are sleeper area's for 140 plus class bucks.

Doc
Posted By: powdr Re: Maryland bucks - 09/30/16
The top buck looks like a s. Texas buck. powdr
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Maryland bucks - 09/30/16
So they are city bucks? I was thinking high fence not to bash but I have a buddy in Maryland and he does kill some 140-150s but works extremely hard at it fair chase.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Maryland bucks - 10/01/16
The 1st deer was legally taken by a local taxidermist named Charlie Wallace. Charlie hunted that buck for 3 seasons before he finally killed it. It has 14 scoreable points, double split brow tines and a spread of 28".
Posted By: benchman Re: Maryland bucks - 10/01/16
That is a great deer! Saw one almost that good in Zekiah Swamp once. Found a 24" inside with a drop tine , dead on the farm. Not sure what killed it. Both those deer would be once in a lifetime for most people!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Maryland bucks - 10/01/16
When I was still working, making the world safe for dial tone, I saw a couple of big 'uns at night in the Great Falls, Va and Reston area. The Great Falls deer was standing at the end of a long driveway between two lamp posts. He looked like number 1, but not so heavy. Wide though, with TALL tines, right off the TTH website.

The Reston buck was in velvet and already bigger than anything I've ever killed, in June! He was standing in someone's yard in a suburban neighborhood.

Faifax County has archery programs to defend suburbanites from deer depredations. The notion never appealed to me, although there's surely some big bone out there. I always pictured having to follow a monster deer stumbling through peoples' yards squirting blood like Old Faithful (the deer, not me).
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Maryland bucks - 10/01/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Faifax County has archery programs to defend suburbanites from deer depredations. The notion never appealed to me, although there's surely some big bone out there. I always pictured having to follow a monster deer stumbling through peoples' yards squirting blood like Old Faithful (the deer, not me).

Thats funny rite there, borderline Bill Heavey funny.
Posted By: benchman Re: Maryland bucks - 10/01/16
Originally Posted by TomM1

Thats funny rite there, borderline Bill Heavey funny.
Could very well come true. My sons first archery deer was very close to a development, and close to a path to the beach. It had snowed, he cut the heart in half. Needless to say, tracking was pretty easy. Stayed there a long time, too. Several comments were heard....
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Maryland bucks - 10/04/16
I could fill a pickup truck with deer taken out of my backyard every morning. One in particular is a dandy 8-pointer. I've often contemplated a quick shot from a light rifle, but if it runs into a neighbor's back yard before expiring, bad news. Same deal with an arrow or bolt.

While not a very hunting-friendly area, there are redeeming benefits that make up for it- lots of great restaurants and bars containing pretty women being one benefit. Besides, I'm only an hour+ away from good hunting spots.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Maryland bucks - 10/04/16
The top deer almost looks photo shopped. It looks too big to be real. What a whopper.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Maryland bucks - 10/10/16
Originally Posted by 1911a1
The top deer almost looks photo shopped. It looks too big to be real. What a whopper.

Also, why isn't that man smiling? grin
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Maryland bucks - 10/10/16
He looks as dead as the buck, probably from dragging that big boy out to where he could be photo'd.

They should re-touch his eyes like they used to do on tintypes when the subjects blinked from the exploding flash powder.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Maryland bucks - 10/11/16
Those are two very impressive whitetail specimens.

I like the throwback treebark camo on the old grizzled hunter too.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Maryland bucks - 10/11/16
Considering what he's got his hands wrapped around, I'll refrain from critiquing his fashion sense.
Posted By: benchman Re: Maryland bucks - 10/11/16
Considering what he's got his hands wrapped around, I'll refrain from critiquing his fashion sense.
Ha!!! Good one!
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Maryland bucks - 10/11/16
That is a monster buck there. Few will see one like that in their lifetimes. Probably myself included.
© 24hourcampfire