Home
Posted By: setch blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
Does anyone have experience with bloodlights, flashlights that are supposed to help you track blood? I was looking at the Primos Bloodhunter HD Blood Light, but am skeptical.
Posted By: tzone Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
Stay skeptical. Save that money and buy a Coleman lantern. That'll show blood about as good as anything out there.
A good adjustable LED flashlight is all you need.
Posted By: jwall Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by tzone
Stay skeptical. Save that money and buy a Coleman lantern. That'll show blood about as good as anything out there.

^^^^^^^^ This

Jerry
My BIL bought one.
Total waste of money. It doesn't pick up anything more than a good LED flashlight will.
Posted By: 4ager Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
LED flashlight and a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
Posted By: kellory Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
I have not seen a single "blood light " or hear sensor for blood trails that really works. A friend bought one and tested it on a new bloodtrail, with the dead deer in sight. It was worthless. Wouldn't even pick up the dead deer at his feet. Save your money.
There is a rumor/myth i intend to test on this subject, though. It is said that the white gas colman lanterns are the best light source for a bloodtrail. Will a propane lantern the same size do as well? No one knows. So i now have a matched pair of lanterns, one pump up white gas, one propane, with reflecters of the same square area, ready and waiting to test this theory. They have been waiting now for two years, because i haven't had a single night bloodtrail to follow since then. When i test them, i shall include pics. Hopefully, they will show up well enough to document the results.
Originally Posted by 4ager

How do you use the peroxide? Do you just spray it on suspected blood drops to see if it foams?
Posted By: kellory Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
Correct.
Peroxide will work. You can also take a bit of paper towel or TP and dab it at the suspected spot and it will show you if that's blood or not.
Posted By: 4ager Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by 4ager

How do you use the peroxide? Do you just spray it on suspected blood drops to see if it foams?

Yep. I use it sparing, really only when and where I can't find or follow the trail because the spots have gotten small or I'm missing them somehow.

Another couple pointers to consider - ants and daddy long legs spiders will find blood and other bodily fluids. Keep an eye out for them if you are having a hard time finding or following the trail.
Posted By: AH01 Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/20/16
I hate hunting without my trusty friend. Either on the trailing lead in open areas

[Linked Image]2013-04-01 07.06.14

or off but under control in cover

[Linked Image]20140926_105915

Has some additional benefits

[Linked Image]20151010_134746
When they first started selling LED flashlights My buddy bought one. I still had a maglight. He shoots a deer right before dark and can't find blood. He called me and I came to help. I shine the ground where he shot and there is blood easily visible. He told me to turn my light off. I do and he is shining his new Whizzbang flashlight the blood disappears. I turn mine back on there is the blood again. He rares back and throws his led flashlight as far as he can. The new ones may be better. I keep a coleman lantern in case I need to look for one.
Posted By: aalf Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/20/16

Coleman lantern and getcha one of these:

https://ebth-com-production.imgix.n...mp;w=600&h=900&fit=max&crop=

Posted By: RIO7 Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/20/16
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g61/BlueRIO7/DSCF0286_zpsaky9pcf5.jpg~c100[Linked Image]

We take off a lot of deer and exotics every year,Smoke, makes finding wounded or dead critters, a whole lot easier than trying to track thru this S. Texas brush. Rio7
I was skeptical. My son has a Primos and I hit a buck a little high and a little far back. The Primos did the trick. However I have read that it works for some people and not others. Like some people see the dress as blue and some see white ? It worked for me though so I bought my own
Posted By: Tejano Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/20/16
A friend bought one not sure what brand but it was worthless. Even when we could see the blood trail it didn't do anything.
What it was good for is finding lost arrows in the dark if the have fluorescent knocks on them.
I have one of the propane lanterns, be interesting to know if they work as well as the old white gas versions.
Posted By: tzone Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by duckster
I have one of the propane lanterns, be interesting to know if they work as well as the old white gas versions.

They do.
Posted By: rlott Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/24/16
We walk a tenuous line between finding the deer when we're looking for them, and not chasing the deer when we're not.....

[Linked Image]
Idaho allows the use of blood tracking dogs but they must be kept on a leash. This is a fairly recent change in the regs. It used to be that dogs were totally prohibited.
Posted By: rlott Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/25/16
VA's rules are the same.

The problem crops up when we're hunting other stuff - turkeys, rabbits, etc., and we run across deer. I can tell he really, really wants to go after them but so far he hasn't.
Posted By: kellory Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/25/16
Ohio allows for deer to be recovered with dogs however they must be leashed. However leash can be physical, electronic or voice.
In other words, if the dog is under control he's leashed. if he's out of control he's not leashed.
Posted By: rost495 Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by setch
Does anyone have experience with bloodlights, flashlights that are supposed to help you track blood? I was looking at the Primos Bloodhunter HD Blood Light, but am skeptical.

Blood lights don't impress me. Coleman lanterns either.

Standard LED or halogen light works as good or better than anything except a dog...

Black mouth cur for us, stray dog, as a pup, has 37 out of 38 found so far... 2 years old... I love watching him work.

Makes me lazy about trailing though....but in better shape as I have to run along with him on lead...
Originally Posted by AH01
I hate hunting without my trusty friend. Either on the trailing lead in open areas

[Linked Image]2013-04-01 07.06.14

or off but under control in cover

[Linked Image]20140926_105915

Has some additional benefits

[Linked Image]20151010_134746

Smiling here!!!!
I gotta say, I'm hoping someone brings one of these blood tracking lights to camp this year. Unfortunately, the likely candidates are all but guaranteed to not shoot a deer, at least not one that bleeds! LOL! Funny stories.
Posted By: kellory Re: blood tracking flashlights - 10/25/16
Funny stories? Did i tell you about when we hung a mounted head in a small thicket at the far end of the farm drive? My uncle sat there for HOURS waiting for that buck to take just ONE MORE STEP.....lol (good times)
© 24hourcampfire