Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/10/16
I'm fortunate to live close to a creek bottom that is hard to hunt. When the water is at low levels, like it is now, it is really hard to get deep into the area. But, the son and I decided to give it a try this morning. We hit the water shortly after daylight, because we knew it was going to be tough going.
Took us more than an hour for a run that is normally 30 min or less.

Got to where we wanted and got in the climbing stands. I hadn't set in my stand 10 min. when I heard my son shoot. About 10 min later he texted he had a 6 pt.

So I got down, loaded my pirogue and took off to help him. Now the trip in was easy compared to the trip out. It took us an hour and a half to get out. I think I will wait till it rains, before going back to the bottom.

Couple pics of the bottom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deer loaded and ready to head out

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GregW Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/11/16
Very cool!
Wow! Well done you two!!!! Neat hunt!!!
Love our southern swamps! Love 'em better when it's cold enough to keep the skeeters and cottonmouths down. What kind of pirogue is that? It's different from what I thought of as a pirogue.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/11/16
Cool story and pics, big 6 pt!
Posted By: battue Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/11/16
Great hunt and nice to see pics of how others do it.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/11/16
Nice pics and deer. Congrats to your son
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/11/16
Thanks for posting! that's what I call a unique hunt. Congrats to your son.
I have killed some of my best deer in swamps. I have always hunted the streams that feed, or drain the low areas in North Florida. Way back in, that's where the good ones hide. smile
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/12/16
What kind of pirogue is that? It's different from what I thought of as a pirogue.

As for the brand, I have no idea. That is actually my wife's pirogue, given to her by her grandfather. Its fiberglass and I've had to reglass parts of it a couple of times. We been married 38 years and it wasnt anywhere near new, when we married.

I have killed some of my best deer in swamps.

Same here Mann. It's hard work even when the water is up, but the hunting is terrific. We made 5 trips last year and came out with 3 deer and 2 hogs. 1 trip this year and a deer. FWIW, my son said he saw a really big deer, after he shot this one.
Awesome.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/12/16
OM, hows your squirrel population doing. Do you have many fox sq on the ridges?
That is a lot different than shooting deer in a dry, cut, soybean field.
I see at least 7 points.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/13/16
OM, hows your squirrel population doing. Do you have many fox sq on the ridges?

We have some fox squirrels, but mostly cat squirrels. The woods are full of them this year.

I see at least 7 points.

He called it a 6, I call it a 7...
Don't matter, be good eating. Good on Him. miles
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Deer hunting in the swamp - 11/13/16
Great story and pictures Oldman03 congratulations to your son.

I wish we had more places like that -all of our swamp areas have 4x4 trails to them so there is no getting away from people here .
I love to float down the river/creek using my little 13' Gheenoe [square back canoe that won't turn over -fiberglass] using the trolling motor to steer. Good to get away from the boring hunting lease .
© 24hourcampfire