Home
Canada has been an incredible hunting experience for me the last couple of years. This year I was able to get a real trophy buck.

Cut to the chase on day 3 of the hunt, things had been pretty slow and at 2:46 pm my biggest buck ever shows. Dropped him with a double shoulder shot that broke both shots and the spine. Excited, I put a double lunger in him for good measure.

Here are some pics

One of my shooting lanes with a 200# dinker young buck in it.
[Linked Image]

I passed on this deer last year on the left. He's the same deer on the right one year. It's hard to believe how much bone these deer can put on their heads in a single year!

[Linked Image]

Here he is! 10 point frame with 25" main beams and 13 scorable points. We scored him at 171 7/8".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good Lord!

Congrats man! What a great deer!
Mercy! What a great buck, those dark horns never fail to impress.
What a beauty....congrats
Wow what a great buck! That's why you go to Canada!
Beautiful!
What others have said +
MONSTER !!

Congrats
Awesome deer! Sask is the place to go for big bucks!
Another WOW! Thats what you go to Sask. for! You can quit going now, cause you'll never top him.

Congrats!
Now that is a big whitetail!
Awesome. I need to hunt there. Love hunting big bucks in the snow. Nothing better.

Congrats.....
Wow! That is an awesome buck. Congrats Buzz.
Beautiful buck!! Congrats on one heck of a trophy!!!
That's a smasher!

Use a 6.5 flavor?

WOW!!!

....awesome, Buzzer.
Awesome Buck
A person could put up with some cold weather to kill a buck like that. Congrats, he's a dandy.
That is the quintessential Canadian buck. Congrats!
Every once in awhile it all comes together and obviously this was one of them. Well done.
Stud!!!! Congrats on great buck!
Stud!!!! Congrats on great buck!
That's a Behemoth!
Very nice buck! Congratulations.
Really nice buck!!!!
Those Canadian plains deer never fail to awe me. Just beautiful deer, if you have the mustard to wait for one in the conditions.
That is a dandy!! Congrats!!
Yep...that's a really nice one, congratulations!
Awesome buck Buzz; congratulations!
Rifle, bullet and load data required...

What did you shoot up there???
Whoa! Nice buck!
Lotta bone right there. He will look good on the wall.
Awesome! Congrats.
I love those dark horns! Congrats!
Yes Sir, that's a heck of a nice deer.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Ahh yes - I have broken the Campfire rules of not posting the gun info! smile

[Linked Image]

Rifle started as a 700 SPS youth gun. Wears a 20" Rock Creek 1-11.25" 5R SS barrel in .308 Winchester. McMilan Remington Compact in McWoody pattern. Timney trigger set at 2.5#. Bolt Fluted in TI pattern and handle skeletonized by Kampfeld. Swarovski Z3 3x9x36mm #4a reticle in Talley UL rings. Cerakoted in graphite black. Bat trigger guard. Put together by Robert Gradous.

Load is a 150g Nosler Accubond using Federal cases, Federal 210M primers, 45.5g IMR 4895 powder. Approx 2830 fps. Shoots about 5/8" groups.
Spectacular deer! Congratulations.
Congrats, that's a cranker !!!
Dewd that's a horse! Awesome work man!

You're right about how incredible a difference 1 year can make!

Great job thanks for sharing!
Wow - great photos and a great buck! Hard to believe you can kill a deer that big with the lowly .308 Winchester! wink
Wow, great buck!
Looks really heavy horn & body, congrats.
You did well. Waidmannsheil! A nice bit of natural art to remember your hunt by. I trust you have him hanging in a place of honour.
For what it's worth, as a local I probably had a couple hundred deer in front of me at various times this fall, not one was as good as your deer. I think the same goes for a couple years before that too. It is a very special privilege when you get to put your tag on a really good one!
Thanks, great buck and a very sweet rifle Buzz!
Originally Posted by Buzz

Rifle started as a 700 SPS youth gun. Wears a 20" Rock Creek 1-11.25" 5R SS barrel in .308 Winchester. McMilan Remington Compact in McWoody pattern. Timney trigger set at 2.5#. Bolt Fluted in TI pattern and handle skeletonized by Kampfeld. Swarovski Z3 3x9x36mm #4a reticle in Talley UL rings. Cerakoted in graphite black. Bat trigger guard. Put together by Robert Gradous.

Load is a 150g Nosler Accubond using Federal cases, Federal 210M primers, 45.5g IMR 4895 powder. Approx 2830 fps. Shoots about 5/8" groups.

That explains it. We all know a 308 can't do something like that WITHOUT ALL the CUSTOMIZATION. whistle laugh
Very Nice
Jerry
What a beautiful big buck. Congrats!!
Originally Posted by jwall

That explains it. We all know a 308 can't do something like that WITHOUT ALL the CUSTOMIZATION. whistle laugh
Very Nice
Jerry

Thanks Jerry - being a lefty, just finding a left handed short action .308 isn't an easy task. It was a .243 youth rifle that I made into my version of a LH M7 smile
That deer is a hoss!
Awesome buck! Cool rifle too. What did you wear to keep warm?
Wow.
Way to go, amigo! Damn, what a fabulous buck.

I trust you have confidence in that bullet now? laugh
Originally Posted by SKane
Way to go, amigo! Damn, what a fabulous buck.

I trust you have confidence in that bullet now? laugh

Thank you sir, and what a wonderful buck you got this year yourself. I do in fact now have confidence in that bullet and loaded 100 of them in fresh Lapua cases the other night! smile
Nice- I love those chocolate colored racks!

Hunting Canadian whitetails, added to bucket list...check

Neat rifle too.
MONGO!
Congrats!

That is a place high on my hunting "to do" list. My grandmother homesteaded there about 1907 and lived in a sod house!
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
MONGO!

Thank you sir, the one you got was quite the impressive old buck! Very happy for you and Scott for your excellent Kansas hunt.
Very nice.

-Ken

[Linked Image]

Beauty.....tough one to whoop there.....
Buck of a lifetime right there, congratulations!
Monster
Daniel day lewis
Wow, Congrats
No more superlatives left to say...so I'll just say Congrats! What a great buck!
That is an absolute stud, congratulations.

If you don't mind me asking; what outfitters were you hunting with? I plan on making a trip North of the border once I get one or two out of college. There are several local guys I know that have hunted with Caribou Trails Outfitters in SK. From what I'm told, Mark is a very good host and they have had several successful hunts.
I was using Wrightway Outfitters, the guy's name is Jeff Wright. I've been on several hunts with him always well taken care of and the last two years, I've been very fortunate to get my two best deer ever.
I was using Wrightway Outfitters, the guy's name is Jeff Wright. I've been on several hunts with him always well taken care of and the last two years, I've been very fortunate to get my two best deer ever.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what did that one green score?

[Linked Image]

Perfect white-tail rifle. I like that a lot! Phenomenal deer as well!
Holy smokes - deer and rifle.
Wow!

[Linked Image]

What does this set-up weigh? I'm Inc the beginning stages of collecting items for a similar build in 7-08. I love the looks of your little rifle.
Just be glad you didnt choot that hog of a mossback with a freakin 270, ok.
Originally Posted by d500lnn

What does this set-up weigh? I'm Inc the beginning stages of collecting items for a similar build in 7-08. I love the looks of your little rifle.

It's 7lbs 5oz scoped and unloaded with the butler creek caps.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Just be glad you didnt choot that hog of a mossback with a freakin 270, ok.

Haha - no doubt it would have possibly bounced off and come back and killed me. smile
What a great buck! Congrats.
© 24hourcampfire