Home
I was hunting my favorite ambush spot where two deer trails cross. Just before dusk, four deer ambled along one of the trails about 75 yards from my post. I was sitting on a cushion with my back to a tall oak tree. I got a good angle on one of the deer and aligned my cross hairs upon the chest. At the shot, the rifle bucked against my shoulder as the blast echoed through the forest. The deer bounded away but toppled in mid stride after a run about same distance as two school buses. My bullet had torn through the heart and smashed a leg bone. I thought it was a doe but turned out to be a young antler-less buck; a dinner plate trophy, indeed!

30-30 is a keeper!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Good eats and a classic rifle!

Dale
Beautiful, Sherwood.

Congrats!
I share your love of a lever gun, in .30-30. Congrats on the deer.

My 12 year old daughter is working to fill a tag with our old .30-30 this season.
Nice job, and great shooting.
We put up 15 lbs of burger and 15 lbs of spicy sausage from this youngster buck!

TR
Did you enter it in the Dink-a-thon?

Great rifle by the way.
Few will be shot in Pa with a .30-30. Nice to keep the traditions going.

Congrats.
Did ya ever notice how , no matter what they are always filled with meat?

Congrats you are one ahead of me so far.
35 pounds of sausage is an average deer around here in the center of the state. I might flatten one on Saturday since it is the last day, and it is sausage season. I generally will mix with 2 whole pork butts at around 16 pounds for some fat goodness.
Oh heck yeah the old thuddy-thuddy is a winner for sure! Congrats on the fine table fare!

I am enjoying fresh Pennsylvania backstraps as I type! Mighty good eats!!
© 24hourcampfire