Home
Posted By: RIO7 Warts?? - 12/26/16
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g61/BlueRIO7/DSCF1455_zpszhnjv4ne.jpg~c100[Linked Image]

Never seen warts this big on a doe, she has about 6 on her back and belly. anyone seen this before ??
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Warts?? - 12/26/16
I killed a young buck back n 2007 that had 'em

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1741907/Tumors_on_Deer_?#Post1741907

Mike
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Warts?? - 12/26/16
Good morning, Blue!

I found a couple of links, the first one is from TP&W who calls them Cutaneous Fibromas. The deer are safe to eat unless the muscle tissue is involved. They are caused by a virus, much like human warts.

LINK

The other link is from Michigan DNR;

LINK

Ed
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Warts?? - 12/26/16
yeah....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jaguar Re: Warts?? - 12/26/16
This link also has a good description and explanation of papilloma, what they are, and what they mean. They are not uncommon in some deer populations. Unsightly, yes.

https://www.qdma.com/deer-warts-eat/
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Warts?? - 12/27/16
Seen deer that had them, but never killed one.

Did kill a coyote that took things a bit past that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Warts?? - 12/27/16
I'd chew my leg off.....
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Warts?? - 12/27/16
Killed a buck once that had some nice size warts. Under the skin you couldn't even tell they were there.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Warts?? - 12/27/16
This question has cropped up every two or three years in the 11+ years that I have been on the 'fire. They are termed infectious fibropapillomas. They are caused by a virus. They will drop off eventually and rabbits and other small mammals (and even other deer) will eat them and become infected. When the fibropapillomas drop off the infected animals, some other deer will eat them and they will develop them, too. As has been said, they are benign and confined to the epidermis, so there is no reason not to prepare and consume the meat.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Warts?? - 12/27/16
Every year seems I run into something that's new to me, this doe was in poor condition, so I thought the warts had something to do with her condition. We harvest about 400 Whitetail's a year and I have never ran into a deer with big wart's like this one.

Thanks for explaining. Rio7
Posted By: jp_over Re: Warts?? - 12/27/16
Very informative post; much appreciated!
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Warts?? - 12/28/16
Rio, quite often animals with a sickness, disease or even an injury can be more susceptible to the virus and fibromas. She may have had something else going on that coincided with the warts.
Posted By: Cousneddy Re: Warts?? - 12/31/16
We had this one on our lease this year, first time I've ever seen one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigNate Re: Warts?? - 01/03/17
We've got a doe and a yearling coming around that have growths hanging that are nearly black and look nothing like these pictures. It's the first I've seen it, and because they're roaming in the neighborhood I wondered if it's being contracted because of domestic pets, or something.

The doe has one hanging under her jaw back of the jawbone by the crease of the neck. The youngster has a similar hanging off the inside of it's hind leg. They're about the size of a big walnut and a plum.
Posted By: hanco Re: Warts?? - 01/09/17
Never seen any of that
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Warts?? - 01/10/17
Originally Posted by hanco
Never seen any of that

Gross man.
Posted By: hanco Re: Warts?? - 01/11/17
I had a wart on my Talley wacker, had to have it burnt off. Hurt like hell!!
Posted By: TomA Re: Warts?? - 01/11/17
So your Talley Wacker free now?
© 24hourcampfire