Home
In the spirit of all the 7mm08 threads around here lately, thought I'd start my own.

As I told a fellow member this afternoon, I have no problem being much more lucky than exceptionally skilled. Lucky enough that I've killed a 30" buck, a 34" buck, a 35 1/2" buck, and now this 37" ancient bruiser. If you're into scores, this isn't the buck for you. If you're into big, old, mature warriors, this is certainly the one.

To make a long story short, I have been after a big muley since November 5th. Been through the rut, now in post rut stage, and it seems that lately the better bucks simply want to lay in the brush and be left alone to rest. Don't blame them consider all the chasing they've been doing. I got lucky this morning and caught this bruiser coming out of a brushy, dirt tank water hole. I was dead steady, and shot him through the heart at 240 yds, bullet exited, ran only 15 steps or so and collapsed. He never knew I was there.

I have shot several 7.5 yr old mule deer, and this was the oldest I've personally seen, probably 8.5. He had almost no back molars left in his head. As you can see, this 37" buck (I know, I can't believe it either) has had both G2's broken off. I didn't care, and still don't.

Here's the story on equipment for those interested:
Binoculars: Tract Toric 8x42...superb stuff
Rifle: McWhorter 7mm08
Bullet: 41g Varget, 140 Accubond, 2815fps @ muzzle
Bipod/Tripod: Tall trigger stick tripod

I was solo, so I have no hero shots with my ugly mug present.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Classic Texas Tailgate pic, just for perspective's sake. That's a Toyota Tundra BTW.

What no rifle pic? Jeez!
Way cool, JG! Congratulations.

Good thing he wasn't one of those tough PA bucks. laugh
Thank you MD.

STS45...I was solo man...no hero shots, gear shots, not squat. I had a helluva time getting him up on my ATV getting him out of there.

One thing to add: Scope was a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3 CDS w/B&C reticle. Weird combo I know, but in fairness I had to send this back to Leupold to fix a tracking issue a few months ago. While they were at it I told them to change out the reticle. My thinking (I'm weird) was that if this wasn't fixed to my satisfaction, I would fart around with the B&C to avoid dialing. I don't dial much anyway, but hey....
I wound up with a 210 yd zero, next hash dead on at 300, next dead on at 350, then 400, small dot dead nuts at 450, top of thick post dead on at 500. I shot about 100 rds to verify. I haven't dialed it since, but it is money at "set and forget", so far at least.
That is just a cool old buck - congrats to you and for taking him with a 7MM-08 to boot!
Great buck JG. Those are the ones that are hard to find and kill.
Need more info. What socks were you wearing? What did you have for breakfast? What grade fuel was in the Tundra? Important stuff. Nice buck, by the way.
What a deer JG, congrats.
My Gracious J G. shocked

What a Grand Ole Monarch. cool That's AGE at it's best.

Congrats is understating it. smile

Jerry
Beautiful old buck. Nice work.
Mercy! Congrats, JG.
Damn fine buck JG. CONGRATS!!
Well done! Congratulations!
Outstanding buck, JG. Congrats.
Awesome!! I've been wondering if I missed your post from this year!! Age trumps score everytime!! Old sand warrior!!
What a buck, congratulations!
Fantastic old brute!
Amazing rack, congrats on a beautiful old timer
What a cool, old buck!
It won't be long and you'll have this whole mule deer thing figured out. whistle

Well done - congrats, JG!
Grand old buck, congrats
Ffffuuudddgggeeeee (only I didn't say fudge)...cool old warrior doesn't say enough. Good going on a super buck!
Nice dink, Congrats

LOL!
Sweet buck, congrats
Congrats on a great buck.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

STS45...I was solo man...no hero shots, gear shots, not squat. I had a helluva time getting him up on my ATV getting him out of there.

First world problems...(grin) Nice buck.
Thanks fellas!
Helluva buck, JG, congrats!

Don't let anyone know, but I used one of those crappy Leupolds with the B&C reticle on my rifle this year too. Cross hair at 200 put the bottom post at 520. Worked well...
Ole JG layin 'em down. JG, I thought yall just had a 10 day season? powdr
A trophy in my book! Very well done all around.
Very cool buck, old and busted up
Very very nice buck - who the hell cares about the score!

Thanks for posting.
Awesome old warrior -
That is a great deer.
Wow! Great deer JG, thanks for posting.

David
Originally Posted by powdr
Ole JG layin 'em down. JG, I thought yall just had a 10 day season? powdr

It is MLD ground now powdr. Season runs through January 2017.
Now em down, 7 mm 08 under rated.
Congratulations and an excellent buck. You got him like I like to, "didn't know I was there"!
My bud killed this 30" cull buck with my 7-08/140AB combo as well a few days ago, right at 200 yds. Big Al goes 6'5" and 260 for reference sake. This one 7.5yrs old.

Wow...very nice! Great cartridge too.
How about barrel length and scope specs...... smile
JG, great old warrior buck, good luck shooting one wider than that!
Originally Posted by jimmy3
How about barrel length and scope specs...... smile

Not sure if you're just flicking some crapola at me, or are serious... :), but it's a 24" Hart barrel, Leupy VX3 4.5-14x40.
Very nice! Well done.
shocked cool smile
Big Al's buck looks like it has a lot of whitetail blood in it. How about it JG? powdr
I think age had more to do with it than anything powdr. There are no whitetails in that part of the world, at least I've never seen one in 45 yrs.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My bud killed this 30" cull buck with my 7-08/140AB combo as well a few days ago, right at 200 yds.

Big Al goes 6'5" and 260 for reference sake. This one 7.5yrs old.

If BIG AL says it's mule deer---he is RIGHT! whistle
grin grin

Jerry
Just because a deer doesn't traditionally fork doesn't mean "it's got some whitetail " in it..

I've glassed up only about 20 racks the past two weeks that "might have some whitetail" in it...

This is not atypical stuff....

Awesome deer again JG.
Couple of old nasty bucks there. Bet those ones will taste better as sausage than steaks! Nice, JG.

Tanner
Did those AB's exit?
Big Al's buck did not exit, my buck did have exit. I've got the bullet around here somewhere.......

7mm 140AB

Nice, Raider. Congratulations. Also a great choice in the 7mm-08. My favorite cartridge.
Awesome deer!
Always wanted to get a Mule Deer more than
any thing else.
AMRA
Nice! Congrats on a great buck.
Congrats on one helluva buck!
JG strikes again- well done!

I see you're running some new binos. How about a JG review of the Torics?

Hey JG- When are we going to get together for a MN bear hunt / Texas deer hunt swap?
JG...awesome buck....you keep raising the bar higher and higher
Originally Posted by Birdhog
JG strikes again- well done!

I see you're running some new binos. How about a JG review of the Torics?

Hey JG- When are we going to get together for a MN bear hunt / Texas deer hunt swap?

I still use the Swaro 10x50 SV alot, but here's some info on the Toric binocular I've been using Birdhog:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11305815/1

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11330192/Searchpage/7/Main/779633/Words/JGRaider/Search/true/Re:_Tract_Toric_8x42_Quickie#Post11330192
Nice buck. Thanks for sharing!
Stud!
Nice. Congrats on a nice old buck!
Great buck for sure JG. Id like to see the one that broke him up. I didnt know y'all had MLD program going over there.
When I grow up, I want to be more like you. I've admired many of your escapades. Chalk this up as another. Love killing the OLD ones...

Very nice. What part of Texas? Not that it matters but, assuming private ground. I spent some time outside of San Angelo hunting WT back in the early 90's. Loved it. I would love to get back and do some running around on the Texas/New Mexico border in the hills. Drove around and looked at it on my days a bit when I was in El Paso but never did get to wonder around in it.
Thanks again for the kind words guys.

I'd be nuts to disclose the actual location, but there are lots of mesquites and sand out there.......
Nice buck....again. Beautiful country and being able to hunt without freezing your azz off must be nice too.
Thanks, Raider....Just collecting info for an upcoming purchase.
That's a great old buck, JG--fantastic spread.
JG--congrats on a slammer deer!
Cool buck
© 24hourcampfire