Home
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Book for my kid - 02/05/17
My son, 14, is going to deer hunt in MN this year with me, first hunt.

He enjoys reading and Im looking for a book suggestion or 5 to get him thinking about scouting, terrain,whitetail behavior, the basics.

Also, books that has fired you up for the hunt would be appreciated too.

Gary
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Book for my kid - 02/05/17
Fair Chase in North America by Craig Boddington is a good semi modern one. You gotta realize a lot of the "classic" books might be too out of touch for a 14 year olds first read...
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Book for my kid - 02/05/17
Hard to go wrong with either/both of "The Deer Hunter's Guide" by Francis Sell or "Shots at Whitetails" by Lawrence Koller.

Any son of yours should appreciate history!
Posted By: scoutman Re: Book for my kid - 02/05/17
Producing and harvesting trophy whitetails by DR. James C. Kroll.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Book for my kid - 02/06/17
Thanks Fellas.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Book for my kid - 02/06/17

Good Morning,
I think I may have some hunting books . PM me your addy.... I will send what I can find.
Best,
Chuck
Posted By: pointer Re: Book for my kid - 02/06/17
Though they are novels, but son as been reading them as fast as we get them for him. He is a bit younger than your son though. The Hometown Hunter's series of books:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Hometown+hunters
Posted By: 1minute Re: Book for my kid - 02/06/17
It's not something any of us here will ever do, but Jim Corbett's books on the man eater tigers in India are quite an adventure for one that has the bug.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Book for my kid - 02/07/17
The old Man and The Boy - Ruark
The Best of John Jobson
Jack O'Connor's Big Game Hunts
Born to Hunt - John Barsness
The Life of the Hunt John Barsness
Tales of Whitetails - Archibald Rutledge

If you like short stories:

The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told
Horned Moons & Savage Santas
Last Casts & Stolen Hunts
Autumn Moons & Whitetail Dreams

Posted By: LostArra Re: Book for my kid - 02/07/17
Not specifically deer hunting but I would suggest The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. You would enjoy it too.

He has a bunch for teen/young adult but he's best known for The Hatchet.

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Book for my kid - 02/07/17
Shots At Whitetails by Larry Koller.

The American Deer Hunter and Art of Successful Deer Hunting by Francis E. Sell.

Hunting the Whitetail Deer by Norm Nelson.

Nelson does a lot of his hunting in MN and WI, so his advice might be more germane to the situations/challenges that your son will face.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Book for my kid - 02/07/17
Originally Posted by kandpand

No doubt, this and the second installment "The Old Mans Boy Grows Older" are the absolute best, especially for a kid. I love some JB as well but these along with Capstick are my personal favorites. Reminds me of growing up with my grandfather.
Posted By: powdr Re: Book for my kid - 02/07/17
Grogel, a book that will touch the boy's heart and make him a better man...A Hunter's Heart by David Peterson. powdr
Posted By: Pointbock Re: Book for my kid - 02/08/17
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Originally Posted by kandpand

No doubt, this and the second installment "The Old Mans Boy Grows Older" are the absolute best, especially for a kid. I love some JB as well but these along with Capstick are my personal favorites. Reminds me of growing up with my grandfather.

Everyone should read these at 13-14 and again every few years thereafter. I just picked mine up again while I was stuck in the house with the flu. A good book will transport your mind. And these will sneak in a few lessons while you think you're just enjoying the story.

The Old Duck Hunters trilogy is pretty good, too (Gordon MacQuarrie.)
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Book for my kid - 02/10/17
John Wootters' Hunting Trophy Whitetails. Also agree on Koller's Shots at Whitetails. James Kroll's books are probably the most educational I've read but they read more like text books.

Fred Gipson that wrote Old Yeller has a lot of other books about boys that age hunting and fishing, Coon Dog Man, Curely and the Wild Boar, etc.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Book for my kid - 02/12/17
Whitetail Fundamentals and Fine Points for the Hunter -George Mattis

Great older book, largely concerned with hunting in the North woods and swamps in the Midwest. Great line drawings.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Book for my kid - 02/12/17
Come November or Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails. Both by Gene Wenzel. If yiou can find them.

Steve
Posted By: tzone Re: Book for my kid - 02/13/17
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
My son, 14, is going to deer hunt in MN this year with me, first hunt.

He enjoys reading and Im looking for a book suggestion or 5 to get him thinking about scouting, terrain,whitetail behavior, the basics.

Also, books that has fired you up for the hunt would be appreciated too.

Gary

Gary,

I have a few I could dig out. Get me an address and I'll send em your way.
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Fair Chase in North America by Craig Boddington is a good semi modern one. You gotta realize a lot of the "classic" books might be too out of touch for a 14 year olds first read...

Don't bet on that. I read them time after time after time laying in bed as a kid. Trying to soak up everything I could.
Originally Posted by LostArra
Not specifically deer hunting but I would suggest The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. You would enjoy it too.

He has a bunch for teen/young adult but he's best known for The Hatchet.

That's a great book.
Posted By: june6th1944 Re: Book for my kid - 02/13/17
How to Hunt Deer by a Edward Freeman.

Lots of teenagers in 50s read that one, including my dad.

I like to read it every 5 years or so.
Posted By: june6th1944 Re: Book for my kid - 02/13/17
BTW...The Hatchet a s a must read. My entire family read it 4-5 years ago...son, daughter, wife and I.
© 24hourcampfire