Home
I have Sierra bullets and new Hornady brass. Does anyone know the recipe that would replicate the Rem factory load? I have most of the powders that cover the 30/06 well. Thanks.
I don't understand. You have Sierra bullets and you're trying to match a factory Remington load? Remington uses Core Lokt bullets. If you get those I got old IMR books that shows loads for the Core Lokt bullets including the 180 gr in 30-06.
I'm starting to slip. I bought a box of those Remington 180 grain RN's for my BAR last fall, and hunted with the 150 grain Remington Corelokt RN at the campfire hog hunt last week. I still like to load for my 270's, but probably won't bother to pull the lever on a 30-06 case.
As far as I know, Remington doesn't offer their 30 caliber 180 grain round nose bullet as a component these days. I still have 112 stashed away. Jack O'Connor said they were about the best 180 grain bullet in his writings. Many hunters in the Northeast would concur.

I can't see any problem using a different round nose bullet, say Sierra or Hornady. In my experience, 55-56 grains of IMR 4350 approximates Remington factory 30-06 velocities with that bullet.
Originally Posted by dh84
I have Sierra bullets and new Hornady brass. Does anyone know the recipe that would replicate the Rem factory load? I have most of the powders that cover the 30/06 well. Thanks.

I shot Remington Factory 180 grain RN's for years. However, I'd mistrust any recipe I got of the Internet that would duplicate it.

As with all reloads, start at a reasonable minimum (5-10% off MAX) and work your way up. Never go above MAX. I prefer H4895 in this instance, because it produces moderate recoil.

Truthfully, I switched from 180 grain to 165 grain about 15 years ago, because I got better terminal performance on the deer with a major reduction in punishment at the shoulder.

When I began to handload I loaded a 180gr. RN Hornady in my .308, IMR 4895 was the powder I used. I harvested the biggest buck I have ever taken with that load. Now a days I load 165gr. bullets in my .30-06.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
When I began to handload I loaded a 180gr. RN Hornady in my .308, IMR 4895 was the powder I used. I harvested the biggest buck I have ever taken with that load. Now a days I load 165gr. bullets in my .30-06.

46 grains?
Any load that goes 2700 fps.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Remington doesn't specify a barrel length, but I'd guess they use 26" test barrels just to keep things optimistic.
The Hornady Interlock is probably closer to the Core-lokt than the Sierra.
dh84,try 54.0 grains of H4350 with a 180 gr. round. nose,CCI200 primers seated to the cannelure. Work up from below.
© 24hourcampfire