Home
Posted By: JimHundley Hornady bullets - 10/23/06
Anybody using the Hornady Spire Point (interlock) on whitetails?Do you think this bullet (180 gr.) would "hold up" at .300 Win.mag. velocities? Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: DaleGribble Re: Hornady bullets - 10/24/06
I believe you would get good results. I've been using the 150 grain Interlock in my .300 Win with good results on deer as all have given complete penetration. However, our deer here are relatively small with a large buck weighing about 175 on the hoof and run of the mill deer somewhat smaller. Good luck with your hunting.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Hornady bullets - 10/24/06
Have used the Hornady interlock for years.......and much perfer the spire point flat base to the boattail, by the way....with great results. One of my all-time favorites in a "standard" style bullet.

Only problem I encountered has been when velosity gets above 3000 fps.....the interlock becomes a little too "explosive". Still kills, but may not penetrate fully through a deer. First discovered this with a .30-06. Used 150 grain interlocks for years (factory) until I began to handload. When I stepped the velosity up to 3150 fps (a very hot load I know, but safe in that one rifle) I began to get bullets that entered and killed, but often failed to exit......not what I like.

Had to go up to the 165 grain bullet at about 3000 fps to regain the penetration I wanted. With the velosity potential of the .300 Magnum, I would think the 180 grain bullet will be just right for your needs, but you might want to try the 165 grain bullets too if you desire just a little more velosity for a flatter trajectory. Personally I think the gain would be marginal at best (long range shooting is overrated and seldom needed). The 180 gr. is definitely the place to start and the Hornady is a great choice.
Posted By: Cohiba Re: Hornady bullets - 10/24/06
yes, it will.
Posted By: 41Keith Re: Hornady bullets - 10/24/06
I've used 165gr flat base SpirePoints since the very early 70's and more deer have fallen to that bullet out of my .300 Win than from any other cartridge/bullet combo I've used. I can't fault that bullet in any way for performance. The 180 SP I've used with identical satisfaction and can't really think of why it shouldn't hold up, but I haven't shot all that many deer with it.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Hornady bullets - 10/25/06
i've had plenty of penetration (often complete) with 130gr sp in 270 win at 3000 fps on deer and antelope. have even shot a cow elk with the load (went through onside shoulder blade, through chest, and lodged in the liver). I think the Hornady is still considered the "best" of the non-premium bullets.
Posted By: JPro Re: Hornady bullets - 10/25/06
Hopefully I will be "testing" some out on the Saturday opener here in LA. 100 grain boat tails in a 6mmAI. I have used the SST's but have never tried the older style Interlocks on game. If they hold up for 240 Weatherby factory loads, they should work in the 6mm. If they don't, the Partitions are on standby.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Hornady bullets - 10/25/06
Anybody using the Hornady Spire Point (interlock) on whitetails?Do you think this bullet (180 gr.) would "hold up" at .300 Win.mag. velocities? Thanks,
Jim

I shoot exactly that bullet at 3150 from my 300Winnie...Results are awesome, and they hold up just fine!
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Hornady bullets - 10/25/06
Jim,
You giving up on the TSX's?
Posted By: one horn Re: Hornady bullets - 10/25/06
I too shoot that same bullet out of my 300 wm. The last two mule deer bucks I took with it, I had full penetration and good wound channels.
© 24hourcampfire