Home
Hello everyone, I am newbie here and would like to know if anyone has any reload data for the 30 30 lever action using the new Hornady 160 GR Flex Tip bullet?
Here you go!!!

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics/ftx_reloading_data.php
I've chronographed the loads and looked for pressure signs. I used R15, and H4895. I compared 150 and 170 grain loads to the Flex tip. I was surprised to see that the flex tip magnum load is some 8 grains or so less than even other 170 grain bullets. I know bearing surfaces etc and paid attention. Bottom line, I went over their listed max, with no primer cupping, backing out, extractor marks, case head expansion etc, and got a lot better velocity with a load that appears to give no pressure signs at all. No idea why they list it as so weak.
Check out that ballistic coefficient. Looks like a 300 yard bullet for the 30-30 to me.
I use H322 with Remington brass and WLR primers. OAL is 2.600. My gun is 34 years old, been cleaned once a year whether it needed it or not and has about a 10 lb. trigger pull. I shoot under 1.25" 5 shot groups off the bench at 100 yds., best group is 1.10". Might give it a try!
© 24hourcampfire