Home
Posted By: sandcritter Pair of old Marlins - 03/18/15
[Linked Image]

Left is an 1892 22LR ser# 274xxx dates to 1903. Underside of barrel still blued, but most of the rest is patina. Wood still has a pretty good finish but for some dings and scrapes. Still piddling with finding ammo it likes. Barrel was pretty fouled and action stiff despite a cursory cleaning on receipt. Took it all down/cleaned and jb'd the barrel yesterday, certainly smoother all around, will see if that helps results any.

On right is my first Marlin. Saw it on a back wall, lonely, in a shop that caters to AR's and handguns, and it spoke to me. An 1893 30-30 ser# 387xxx dates "varies 1906-1915". Has more case coloring than the other, and an honest mottled patina area on barrel from hands/sweat over many years. This gun was clearly carried if well cared for. Bore slugs on the tight side w/o loose spots - .305. Also first gun that reloaded for - RL15 28.5gr accuracy 1900fps/31gr 2075fps hunting and lazercast 170gr bullets (load suggestions always welcomed). Gosh it's fun to shoot reactive targets with that old thing; hope to hunt it next fall.
Posted By: g5m Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/18/15
Nice Marlins. Hope that bore cleans up well.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/18/15
Sweet pair of Marlin's grin That 1893 appears to be in fantastic shape! I am readying a pair of Marlins for some Cowboy Silhouette (talk about interactive targets) this year a Marlin 39 for the .22 and an 1895 in .40-65 for the rifle. Love these old levers!

Thanks for sharing!
PennDog
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/19/15
Here is my 1906 version Model 94, 38-40.I found if in a closet that was stuffed full of old military guns my neighbor was selling

Stock beyond repair, needed ejector , barrel was way past useable condition and front sight was broken. Not a collector piece by any stretch of the imagination. I carved new set of stocks, had the barrel relined, bought the ejector from Wiesner and added a front front sight. Used some cold blue to add just a touch of color. Shoots very well now. I think I have about $600 in it.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: sandcritter Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/19/15
That turned out pretty darned good, saddlesore. Would like to try a 1894 someday.
Posted By: g5m Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/19/15
Looks good!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/20/15
Congrats on two very nice, old Marlins! Just think of the satisfaction of taking a deer with that old .30-30, or a squirrel with the .22.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/21/15
Sorry,,, can't speak right now.
Gotta go wipe the drool off my chin.

Any one of those three make my 1946 Model 39 look,,, well,,, for lack of another word,,, pathetic.

[Linked Image]

Maybe a pic of her next to a 1946 K22 will help.

[Linked Image]

Nope,,, still don't cut the mustard.

Nice old guns guys.
Cherish them.

Posted By: sandcritter Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/22/15
FG, no getting around that that rifle shoots judging by the bushy!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/23/15
Does anyone know why Marlin put those horrible looking fat forearms on their rifles?
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/24/15
No idea.

I've wondered about that myself.

Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/26/15
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Does anyone know why Marlin put those horrible looking fat forearms on their rifles?

Wondered the same thing myself for many years. I would always pass up a Marlin with that ridiculous fat wood when I saw one for sale. Finally got a deal too good to pass up on an early 50s RC 30-30 at a local pawn shop. You know what, it felt great in hand and shot even better. After carrying it many miles afield, I like it even better.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/27/15
They sure don't feel good in a scabbard under a person's leg. Not like the old 94's or the Win.94's

Almost all stock makers strive for nice straight lines with no "bellies" in the wood. Those fat forearms look like pregnant snake.

I have only bought one and it was a mid-90's production 94 in 44 mag . First thing that happened is that stock came off and I made new one. Finally had to put a little scope on it due to bad eyes.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/28/15
This gun was clearly carried if well cared for. Bore slugs on the tight side w/o loose spots - .305. Also first gun that reloaded for - RL15 28.5gr accuracy 1900fps/31gr 2075fps hunting and lazercast 170gr bullets (load suggestions always welcomed). Gosh it's fun to shoot reactive targets with that old thing; hope to hunt it next fall.

You cast bullets?
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/28/15
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
This gun was clearly carried if well cared for. Bore slugs on the tight side w/o loose spots - .305. Also first gun that reloaded for - RL15 28.5gr accuracy 1900fps/31gr 2075fps hunting and lazercast 170gr bullets (load suggestions always welcomed). Gosh it's fun to shoot reactive targets with that old thing; hope to hunt it next fall.

You cast bullets?

Not yet, Dan. Using trueshot laser cast .309.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pair of old Marlins - 03/29/15
When you take the dive you'll find better hunting bullets quick enough. Run of the mill alloys a fair bit softer the your OTC bullets will shoot as well or better and perform very well on game.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Pair of old Marlins - 05/20/15
Hey Sandcritter. Nice Marlins. That 1883 looks like my 38-55. Sure is fun loading and shooting for those levers.

Missed ya at the hog hunt this year!

Posted By: vt4ster Re: Pair of old Marlins - 10/28/15
beautiful marlins OP
© 24hourcampfire