Home
Posted By: Oakster 1948 Waffletop - - 02/05/22
I have a 1948 336A waffletop that some previous owner had attempted to drill for bases. Does anyone have a decent gun smith recommendation that could fill these holes and restore the waffle top pattern?
Posted By: Mossyoak1957 Re: 1948 Waffletop - - 02/05/22
Art's Gun Shop Art Isaacson
Hillsboro,MO 63050

He's a Browning guy but he works on anything

The guy is a gun repair wizard

I had a rusted/pitted hole the size of a dime in a Browning barrel and he made it disappear.

Not sure how he could restore the waffle pattern though hack of a nice guy to talk to on the phone, check out his work on his web sight.
Posted By: iskra Re: 1948 Waffletop - - 02/19/22
Just caught up with your Thread. The 'real world' answer... For quality gunsmithing labor at prevailing prices, the costs would considerably exceed the resulting value. Best to leave it & enjoy it unrestored!' If you're set on such a year Marlin, check the markets periodically! The "Waffle Top" style - artistic waivy lines on the action top without drilling & tapping - existed until 1953. In about that time period they begin to D&T as well as bluing for short period, then moving to greyish sandblast. All are nicely done.
To me, the early Marlins broadly defined to about 1980 - before the crossbolt safety - are all great guns and infinitely better quality as better priced than the latest Ruger Marlin pricey iterations!
Just my take!
Best!
John
© 24hourcampfire