Home
Posted By: Glynn Hammer extension - 08/04/23
I kinda inherited a 30-30 from my brother and have been musing about upgrades. He had already put a Skinner peep on it and we changed the crossbolt safety to one of those fake screw heads.

Then I got a Rangerpoint medium lever which really made the gun feel better, the original was pretty tight for my hands.

Who likes a hammer extension even though there is no scope hanging over it??
Posted By: jar Re: Hammer extension - 08/05/23
I have 5 different marlin lever guns and 4 different browning blr and they all have hammer spurs. just like the feel of them better.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Hammer extension - 08/05/23
I wouldn't have one on if not necessary myself. If you decide you need one avoid the Grov-Tec/Uncle Mikes round steel ones. They slow down lock time noticeably.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Hammer extension - 08/05/23
My Marlin has a JM marked hammer extension on it. It really helps manipulating the hammer on a low mounted scope. Getting hard to find, but still some around.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jwleeper Re: Hammer extension - 08/05/23
Ranger point precision has very nice hammer extensions. If you have scoped a lever action the extension is the only way to go.
Have a great day.
Jim
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Hammer extension - 08/06/23
Originally Posted by jar
I have 5 different marlin lever guns and 4 different browning blr and they all have hammer spurs. just like the feel of them better.

Once again I like to use the term "Different Strokes" as I use a hammer spur myself for over 40 years on my Marlin .375 Win and even though it's intended for use of a scope as it makes it easier to get to the hammer as the clearance is almost nil as pic. by SS336 indicates, I like mine on the left side as it feels better for me with open sights and being right handed it just works for me that way as I like to place my right thumb over the Hammer upon cocking.

Originally Posted by SS336
My Marlin has a JM marked hammer extension on it. It really helps manipulating the hammer on a low mounted scope. Getting hard to find, but still some around.

HS 58
Posted By: Hipshoot Re: Hammer extension - 08/06/23
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I wouldn't have one on if not necessary myself. If you decide you need one avoid the Grov-Tec/Uncle Mikes round steel ones. They slow down lock time noticeably.

You're worried about LOCK TIME in a lever action?

Hip
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Hammer extension - 08/07/23
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You're worried about LOCK TIME in a lever action?

Hip
You bet. And you should be too if you hunt on your feet using your lever guns while still hunting or tracking. In that case accuracy while shooting offhand is vital to your success and lock time and a good trigger are two of the most critical aspects to good offhand shooting. If most of your shots are close range from a rest in your blind or tree stand don't worry about it. Lock time and a crappy trigger don't matter much then.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Hammer extension - 08/07/23

Yep. You’d THINK Ruger would wise up, and stsrt producing these, again. At a sales price of $30-$50 a pop, they could probably do alright…
Posted By: Hipshoot Re: Hammer extension - 08/07/23
Had a couple of extras but I think I sold them over at Marlin Owners site!

Hip
Posted By: reivertom Re: Hammer extension - 08/10/23
They are better for cold weather and gloves.
Posted By: RAM Re: Hammer extension - 08/10/23
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Yep. You’d THINK Ruger would wise up, and stsrt producing these, again. At a sales price of $30-$50 a pop, they could probably do alright…

I hope your being sarcastic
Posted By: Hipshoot Re: Hammer extension - 08/10/23
Prices were going up a few years ago! I;m talking about the ones with JM on them.

Hip
Posted By: Glynn Re: Hammer extension - 08/14/23
I got one of the Rangerpoint offerings for 25 bucks, older ones were going for 60 on ebay. Going to try it for awhile and see if it stays.

I did take a file to the corner edge back towards the shooter. My carpel/tingling in my thumb made it a little uncomfortable but good now.
© 24hourcampfire