Home
What is the difference between the (current) A, C, and W Marlin 336 models?
I can't quite tell from the pix on Marlin's website.
The 336C is the top of the line with a nicely finished walnut stock and fore end. The A and W models have stocks made from hard wood, probably birch, and cheaper sights. The C and A have 2 barrel bands while the W has one barrel band and a fore end cap. I don't have picture in front of me so I could have the A and W reversed, but you get the idea.
Yep the C has full walnut and barrel bands. The butt stock has a rubber "pad" or butt plate. The A has end cap while the W has the barrel bands and both birch stock stained to look like walnut. And both the A and W I think also has a hard plastic butt plate. This explains the overall length being 1/4 inch shorter than the C model.

Took me a long time to figure that out by looking at the pictures.

Personally I would like the walnut and end cap version but they do not make one. I currently have a question on another forum asking if the new Marlin 308MX walnut end cap forearm will directly replace the 336A birch forearm.

Also FWIW: Marlin made an "A" model years ago. This is a totally differnt animal. It I believe has smooth walnut stocks and the key is that it has a 24 inch barrel. Do not confuse the current "A" model with the older version.
Thanks, gentlemen.
© 24hourcampfire