Home
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's a 68 Marlin 336RC origianlly chambered in 35 Rem that I had rechambered to 356 Winchester by Regan Nonneman http://leveractions.com

I took it to the range with some 220 grain Speer loads that clock 2300 fps and it shot great! 1" group of three at 50 yards - but it shot very high. So, I installed a higher front sight.

I also replaced the Redfield receiver sight with the XS as shown and put the sling swivels in place. Also strapped on that pad but the rifle didn't kick nearly as much as my previous 356 Win chambered rifle - a Winchester 94AE big bore. But I think the pad will stay because it is just so comfortable.

Looking forward to hunting with this fall in the woods.
well that looks great. I hope it performs well on game for you.

I think its wonderful that lever guns are getting some exposure as being a great vehicle for custom gunsmiths to show their talent with.
Nothing wrong with a custom bolt rifle, but lever guns are just as much fun and are just as attractive.
Thanks smile

Please don't look at the finish or anything on this rifle. Regan Nonneman just did the rechamber and bolt work - nothing more and the rifle is in well used condition - but that's OK with me. I may get it reblued but that'd be it.

He does all kinds of cool things with leverguns - check his web site and you'll see. My little job here is just a filler task for him.
Lucky SOB. I'm still waiting on mine. Yours makes me want mine all the more. Looks slick.
Originally Posted by corelokt
Lucky SOB. I'm still waiting on mine. Yours makes me want mine all the more. Looks slick.

You have one with Nonneman?
Yeah. A 30-30 to be rebarreled and all that. Should be a different rifle stopping short of a new serial number.
Cool - what's he doing? Rebarrel to what caliber?

Oh wait - I see on your other post -.356/358? Yeah, with the 30-30 bolt, no work needed on that. Mine needed the bolt opened up and extractor tweeked to fit over the rim.

Carbine length huh?
A short thumper. No barrel bands.
you've got to post pics when that arives....
I really want to see it too.
I feel your pain. However, in today's world $1K for a rifle is more common than not. I have a few rifles that are kind of rare, but I take extra care when I hunt with them. You can take measures to protect it if you chose, e.g., wrap that special camo tape around it, put a synthetic stock on it, etc. True your rifle is one of a 1000 made, but there are many old rifles that are still valuable despite a few bumps and dings. Lou
Lou, not sure what you are referring to.... I gave a total of $460 for mine - cost of used rifle and Mr. Nonneman's work...
I can like, but if there was ever a rifle that shouldn't have a sling it's a lever.
On my last hunt - last month here in Texas, I used the sling on my rifle as a hasty sling to steady my shot. Don't see why that isn't also a plus on lever - especially when you are likely to take off-hand shots with it... I like my sling.
To much to catch on, but I'm in the minority. I don't use slings on anything.

Wish you was closer, I have 3 boxes of 356 Win ammo you could have.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can like, but if there was ever a rifle that shouldn't have a sling it's a lever.

If one is rich and can afford gun bearers, slingless rifles are fine.

When I kill a deer, I usually sling my rifle for the drag home.
I might have a sling in my pack or I might not. If I have any distance to go the deer goes in my pack.

Can't imagine fighting a slung rifle, deadfalls, brush and deer all at once.
Think I'm down to one rifle that wears a sling now. Ussually the sling stays in the pack.

Now some folk on here got me convinved that stuffing a deer in the pack is a better way than dragging it out. Who'da thought it.
Personally I prefer to stuff any deer needing dragging into the front loader of my compact 4x4 tractor. Dosn't always work out that way, but when it does, it's much easier.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
To much to catch on, but I'm in the minority. I don't use slings on anything.

Wish you was closer, I have 3 boxes of 356 Win ammo you could have.

How bout I send you a $14.40 stamp? (old rate USPS express mail) -that should be plenty to ship USPS ground...? smile Or I can send a check if it isn't - you are in AK.

Oh, and thank you for electing Gov. Palin - I'm hoping she'll push McCain to victory (not that he's my favorite, just way better than obamination).
Getting it off the island is a pain, it will be going with me when I transfer and I will be in the lower 4 dozen
Gotcha.
I have one that I sent out to him a while back too for the .356 conversion on a .35 Rem.

How long did it take for you to get your rifle after you sent it to him?

I sent mine out to him almost three months ago now and still am waiting. I wrote him last month and he said I would have it before the first of September. Still haven;t gotten it yet. I am trying not to bother him but I am getting a bit worried.

Thanks
Greebe
© 24hourcampfire