Home
Posted By: hikerbum waffle top - 10/14/08
I came into a Marlin 336 (RC I think) 30-30. Dates to about 1951 or so. Very very nice shape. All original, non tapped. Question, the top of the action has wavey lines that are factory original. I was told its called a waffle top.

any special interest or value in that?

thanks
Posted By: Otis Re: waffle top - 10/15/08
It is suppose to cut down on the glare from sunlight! I have one in 35 Rem. a '51 also, I don't know if it give extra value or not. I just like old guns over new ones! Sounds like you have a non-micro groove bore gun too! Great for cast bullets!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: waffle top - 10/15/08
its just part of the way Marlins looked back then. I have two like that, but I don't feel that feature alone 'enhances' their value.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: waffle top - 10/16/08
The waffle top when left untapped for scope mounts does raise the value. They only did it for the years of 1948-1952. After that they received a matte finish and were drilled and tapped for the scope mount. Collectors looking for early 336's seek those out and they generally run $100+ more then others in that era. I have three now in the standard rifle and one in the Sporting Carbine, so I try to keep an eye out for them when they can be found. The Flaydermans blue book also denotes a premium on this model but can't remember how much off the top of my head, Ryan
© 24hourcampfire