Home
Posted By: Riverhawk Sling suggestions? - 08/20/10
I picked up a nice 336 in the classifieds from Steelhead a few weeks ago and I'd like to put a classic leather sling on it....any suggestions?
Posted By: Odessa Re: Sling suggestions? - 08/20/10
If the rifle has sling swivels on it you will find the Montana Slings to work well and it looks as classy as the Marlin does. I have them on a pre-64 M70 and a M88, love them.

[Linked Image]

Another good choice is a heavier, but hell for stout sling made on the old US Army design by Turner Saddlery - here is a partial view of one on my M1895 Marlin.

[Linked Image]

Here is an old Hunter brand lightweight copy of the US Army design on an old Winchester M70

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Riverhawk Re: Sling suggestions? - 08/20/10
Yeah, I've been eyeballing the Montana. I hear a lot of good stuff about them. Do you prefer the 1" or the 1 1/4".
Posted By: lawnman Re: Sling suggestions? - 08/20/10
Levergunleather.com!!! I had him make one for my '48 vintage 336. Waiting list but WELL WORTH IT! You will make a mistake if you don't at least check out the web site. Good Luck.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Sling suggestions? - 08/20/10
Originally Posted by Riverhawk
Yeah, I've been eyeballing the Montana. I hear a lot of good stuff about them. Do you prefer the 1" or the 1 1/4".

I have only used the 1", Chicago screw version. My rifles that have Montana slings are older Winchesters with the factory issued, fixed in place sling swivels (not the removeable QD type), so I am limited to 1" width. However, if I had the QD type lugs I would still use the 1" - it is plenty wide for me.
Posted By: Riverhawk Re: Sling suggestions? - 08/21/10
Thanks for the input
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Sling suggestions? - 08/22/10
I have had great success using an inexpensive cordura nylon sling I bought at WalMart.
It lets out, and cinches up quickly, and positively. I use these slings on all my lever guns.
© 24hourcampfire