Home
Having issues even getting a scope on paper, hitting a couple feet low at 25 yards initially then ran out of elevation at 50 yards. Scope is a viper 2-7x32 in Talley LW 1 piece rings/base
I pulled rings off and layed a square over the reciever and end of my barrel is a good 3/4 of an inch lower. The square laying on the receiver will clear the top of the front ramp sight. Does this seem right? Could someone please check what theirs measures to?

I measured three of mine. All are about 3/4 inch lower at the muzzle, the same as yours. Something else is wrong. Are you sure the rings are matched? It sound like a medium ring and a low ring or otherwise mismatched set.

If you bought your rifle new there was a package of scope mount shims in the box.
Marlin wrote on the outside of the envelope:
�Although not a common problem, if you have mounted a scope on your rifle and it is shooting either very low or very high, the angle of the scope should be adjusted by installing a shim(s) under the scope base.
If it is shooting low, install a shim(s) under the front end on the base. If your rifle is shooting high, shims(s) should be installed under the front end of the base.�

If you do not have the shim package, you might call Marlin to see if they are available. I had some problems with one piece mounts and turn in rings. I switched to Weaver bases and Millett Angle Lok rings and solved the problem without shims.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Marlin 308mx barrel angle? - 09/20/10
I have the same rifle and just put the same scope on it.Talley lightweights (low) worked perfectly.
I should add that sometime back I had a model 70 with the same problem.Another set of rings fixed it.
© 24hourcampfire