Home
Anyone out there used both or either of these on a Marlin lever action? Both are the same price and I lean toward the Leupold FXII 4x33 because of the light weight but the Bushnell has Raingaurd. The Bushnell only has 3 inches of eye relief though and it cost as much as the 3-9x40 model.
I've used the Bushnell 3200 2-7X32 and it worked great. Eye relief is a non-issue with the .30-30.
The newer Bushnell elites are 4200 quality glass so Im sure its better than the Leupold glass. Im just thinking about the Leupold FX II due to size and weight.
The Leupold will be lighter and a smaller scope. You will want to use the smallest scope with quality glass that you can find on a Marlin 30-30. Also, make sure it is mounted as low as you can get it.
Leupold
What would you use 7 power for on a .30-30 except possibly load development?

Seems like the whole raison d'etre of a Marlin .30-30 is a dead nuts reliable workhorse for taking game from close in (where speed of mounting may be important) out to about 200, maybe 250 yards. A straight 4X scope would go with that concept like grape jelly goes with peanut butter. The longer eye relief isn't a factor in preventing scope eye but in getting inside the eye box when the rifle is mounted quickly.

If a peep sight isn't in the cards then a straight 4X is the next best thing.

Besides, a Leupold 4X is what my Marlin .30-30 wears, so I am a bit prejudiced. wink
[quote=Jim in Idaho]What would you use 7 power for on a .30-30 except possibly load development?

Seems like the whole raison d'etre of a Marlin .30-30 is a dead nuts reliable workhorse for taking game from close in (where speed of mounting may be important) out to about 200, maybe 250 yards. A straight 4X scope would go with that concept like grape jelly goes with peanut butter. The longer eye relief isn't a factor in preventing scope eye but in getting inside the eye box when the rifle is mounted quickly.

If a peep sight isn't in the cards then a straight 4X is the next best thing.

Jim,
I thought that way as well, until I joined a club that had point restrictions on bucks. Actually, some states now have them as well. In thick brush it can be difficult to see if a deer is legal, and cranking up the scope does help. Increased magnification is also useful for picking a small hole in the brush to shoot through.
Originally Posted by nuguy
Anyone out there used both or either of these on a Marlin lever action? Both are the same price and I lean toward the Leupold FXII 4x33 because of the light weight but the Bushnell has Raingaurd. The Bushnell only has 3 inches of eye relief though and it cost as much as the 3-9x40 model.

I've had a M1895 equipped with the Leupold 1-4x20 for some time and it makes for a nice trim rig.
[Linked Image]

I also have a M336 with one of the new Redfield 2-7 scopes on it and like it as much - the objective bell doesn't change the balance any that I can tell and the Redfield (pretty good bargain at $150) is as clear as the other two scopes you mention. Give them a look before you buy.
[Linked Image]

Ps Nuguy, Just realized this thread is several months old, you probably have made your decision - what did you end up with?
That would certainly be a valid reason. My only .30-30 hunting was in fairly open areas or Alabama bottom lands where you had to shoot as fast as you saw antlers.
Originally Posted by nuguy

I have Leupold FXII 4x33 on my Marlin 45-70 guide gun and absolutely love it. It has great FOV and eye relief and simply pops when you raise to aim. Highly recommended. I think a 4x and a lever action are a match made in heaven.
The first picture with the 1x4 looks just right, nice....later
Leupold.
Redfield ..
© 24hourcampfire