Home
Posted By: gunchamp new marlin question - 08/12/12
How are the new marlins? Curious if they are as good or close to when they were actually marlins. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: new marlin question - 08/12/12
The reputation of the new "Remlins" has pushed the price of JM stamped Marlins North of reasonable.

So far, I have heard very little in the way of good about the new Marlins coming from Remington.

Too bad, because they have a couple models that I would like to mess around with, but not enough to take a chance.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: new marlin question - 08/12/12
Thats kind of what I was hearing. Gunbroker prices on the pre rems are getting reeeediculous.
Posted By: pal Re: new marlin question - 08/12/12
Quality on the lever guns was so bad they even stopped producing them. Not sure if they're back in production again.

Look for a clean, older gun. I found one built in 1971:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunchamp Re: new marlin question - 08/12/12
Originally Posted by pal
Quality on the lever guns was so bad they even stopped producing them. Not sure if they're back in production again.

Look for a clean, older gun. I found one built in 1971:

[Linked Image]
Really, I did not know that. Do you know what kind of problems they were/are having?
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: new marlin question - 08/12/12
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Really, I did not know that. Do you know what kind of problems they were/are having?

[b][color:#3333FF]Problems...[/color][/b]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: new marlin question - 08/12/12
Deerwhacker, thanks for the link. That was an interesting read.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: new marlin question - 08/16/12
and this: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

I understand that some of the regular posters on the Marlin Owners Forum are former Marlin employees at the old plant.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: new marlin question - 08/18/12
CERBERUS: The Three Headed Hound that guards the gates of Hell.
CERBERUS: The Private Equity firm that acquired Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

I amassed all of my Marlin collection in the Pre-Cerberus days ... and am glad I did.

I regret not replacng my Marlin 336, 35 Caliber Carbine with a pre-REM model, when I still had the chance, and not acquiring some Marlin 1894 models I never had - but still, I'm glad I got what I GOT!

Come hell hounds or high water - I'm hanging on to my 'MARLIN' Marlins'.
Posted By: levergunz Re: new marlin question - 08/18/12
I've seen some New Remlins and have heard many war storys of No QC.Problems varie from Rifles that jam up when loaded,barrels/sights on crooked,rough machine work(grinding marks)Poor fit and finish of wood etc.Something like 6 out of 10 need warranty work.I always go for the older PreREM rifles.
Posted By: DarkStar Re: new marlin question - 08/18/12
I have a Remlin 336BL 30-30 and an older M375. The BL is a nice looking rifle, fit and finish is very good, sights are on straight, but the action is very tight. I have only shot it once and the iron sights are almost useless, but usually buck-horn sights are not as accurate as a peep.I want to take apart the action and smooth out the internal parts, and mount a scope to see how it really shoots.The first outing was promising with the barrel not broken in completely. If it doesnt shoot 1-1/2" or smaller 3 shot groups @100yds i may re-bore to .356win or 375win.Its a nice little package with the 18-1/2" barrel, laminated stocks and the big loop lever. My M375 is as smooth as butter and shoots sub MOA with my handloads, she's a keeper for sure.....
Posted By: kraky111 Re: new marlin question - 08/19/12
My gunshop wont even stock a remlin any more. They had one left and the lever felt like it had sand in it. Ive picked up three pre rem marlins this summer and dont regret it a bit! I dont see the rems going up in price...but think the old marlins will never lose value.
Posted By: BandGHunter Re: new marlin question - 08/19/12
One of the better[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGS Re: new marlin question - 08/29/12
Here is a follow up article from the same people. Looks like issues are being addressed.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/425.htm
Posted By: 101guns Re: new marlin question - 09/01/12
I have one of the first 336Y Spikehorns listed on another forum. Everyone keeps asking if it is pre or post Remington. Now know more...thanks for the thread
© 24hourcampfire