Home
Posted By: gmsemel 35 Remington - 11/13/12
I got to shoot a 336 so chambered yesterday. My neighbor's buddy was zeroing in his rifle for the 2012 private land rifle deer season in CT, he is hunting on my property. I was impress how well it shot, its a new gun he won in a raffle. See thru scope mounts and a well bigger scope that I would like. I was able to hit a grape fruit sized pumpkin with it never the less at almost 100 yards off hand. 200 Gr Remington RN's I think I just might have to get one now. I also said that if ever he needs to sell it, come to me first.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 35 Remington - 11/13/12
The .35 Remington is one of the most effective and mild mannered cartridges for hunting deer, hogs, etc.

Marlin has been the sole platform for the cartridge for many moons, not counting special runs from Remington.

The see-thru scope mounts are common but many believe they are not the best option for scope mounting.

The beauty of the .35 Remington is that the 200 grain Remington Corelokt RN is more than capable of taking enough meat to fill your freezer.

Good luck finding one for yourself.
Posted By: 257man Re: 35 Remington - 11/14/12
I wholeheartedly reccomend thet you snatch one up if you get the chance. They carry wonderfully, are quick to the shoulder, and the 200 gr corelokts really perform well on almost any deer to elk sized game. I have two and will never part with either.
Posted By: wrench_man Re: 35 Remington - 11/15/12
Mines the "A" with a 24" barrel, I hand load for it but I stuff them with the 200grn Core-Lokt's, an excellent combination!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: 35 Remington - 11/21/12
Originally Posted by 257man
I wholeheartedly reccomend thet you snatch one up if you get the chance. They carry wonderfully, are quick to the shoulder, and the 200 gr corelokts really perform well on almost any deer to elk sized game. I have two and will never part with either.

What he said! If I plan on hunting in an area where the shot will be close, my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington will be with me. I have hunted deer since 1966 and all of the deer I have killed except for one could have been easily taken with my 35 Remington. The other one could have been taken with the 35 Remington, it just would have been a little harder to do.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 35 Remington - 11/21/12
Originally Posted by wrench_man
Mines the "A" with a 24" barrel, I hand load for it but I stuff them with the 200grn Core-Lokt's, an excellent combination!

What powder are you using? I have a 336-A I need to start loading for.

Doc
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: 35 Remington - 11/21/12
Try some W 748 with 200s. Work up to about 40 grs. and they will shoot as good as the factory loads. These Marlin 35s are some of the most accurate guns built with factory ammo. My 1969 Marlin is unreal at the range when I have a scope on it. Peeps sights now.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 35 Remington - 11/21/12
In the 336, I like 38.3 gr IMR4064. Very accurate, about 2000fps.

4895 works well also. I use it in my Rem 141.

The old 35 Rem is vastly underrated IMO. It is easily superior to the 30-30 and very close to the 375 Win in performance....
Posted By: wrench_man Re: 35 Remington - 11/22/12
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by wrench_man

What powder are you using? I have a 336-A I need to start loading for.

Doc

H335, 39grns, WW brass and CCI 250's
My rifles a first year for the 35 that has the "Ballard" barrel vs the "Micro grove" barrel, I usually get about 1 1/4" groups, not bad for a 62 year old rifle off the hood of the Jeep.
Posted By: Joe_S Re: 35 Remington - 11/23/12
Its a great round. Killed three deer with a handi rifle chambered in it last year. Furthest one ran was a strictly lung and heart shot. Made it about 20 yards before he fell out. One took about 3 steps on a heart and lung shot and one hit the ground. Im a fan of the core lokts too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have owned a few marlins in 35 but never even hunted with one.
This is a stock off my last one. Beautiful gun!
[Linked Image]

Have since switched to an encore in 358. Hope i dont regret getting rid of the handi.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: 35 Remington - 11/23/12
My Marlin is .45-70, but I adopted the .35 Remmy this spring when I inherited a Remington Model 14 pump that was built in the 1930's and owned by my grandfather, then by my uncle and then by my brother. I had it in the woods opening day of deer season in Vermont this year, and all of them were with me, I'm certain. I like Ranch Dog 195gr FNGC with Reloder 7 or IMR4320. Both will group nicely with iron sights.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: 35 Remington - 11/23/12
35 Remington has been slaying big game for over 100 years yet gets very little press. My son shot his first bull elk with my Marlin 35; two chest shots at approx 135 yards did the job!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe_S Re: 35 Remington - 11/23/12
I love those old rem pumps. 35 rem just goes good with levers and pumps
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 35 Remington - 11/23/12
Originally Posted by Sherwood
35 Remington has been slaying big game for over 100 years yet gets very little press. My son shot his first bull elk with my Marlin 35; two chest shots at approx 135 yards did the job!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

Sherwood,

It appears you have a higher comb stock on your 336-A, is this a 70's or a 1950's model?

Doc
Posted By: boomtube Re: 35 Remington - 11/26/12
Remington's 200 gr Core-Loc is the only bullet marketed that is made for the speed of the .35 cartridge; it's both accurate and lethal but they can be hard to find as a component.

Hornady's 200 RN bullets shoot just as well in mine but they don't always expand as I wish, seems they are made for faster cartridges.

Anyone using 'see through' mounts and large scopes on that fine woods rifle should be flogged.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 35 Remington - 11/26/12
I think the 200gr Hornadys work just fine. They are all I load now, as far as jacketed bullets go.

I also load some 180gr Cast Performance WFNGCs.

4064 and 4895 work well......
Posted By: docost99 Re: 35 Remington - 11/29/12
Anyone using Speer hot-cor 220 gr in their 35 Rem?
Speer 220gr
I just ordered some to try.
Posted By: Mossyoak1957 Re: 35 Remington - 12/07/12
My old 336 in 35 Rem. did this last Saturday...doe on right was well over a 100 yard broadside shot I aimed dead on, she went right down,the 2nd. doe on the left was about 20 yards front chest shot,she went right down.
Ammo was Remington 200 gr. core-Lokt
The 35 Remington is a 200 gr. hammer.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 35 Remington - 12/07/12
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I got to shoot a 336 so chambered yesterday. My neighbor's buddy was zeroing in his rifle for the 2012 private land rifle deer season in CT, he is hunting on my property. I was impress how well it shot, its a new gun he won in a raffle. See thru scope mounts and a well bigger scope that I would like. I was able to hit a grape fruit sized pumpkin with it never the less at almost 100 yards off hand. 200 Gr Remington RN's I think I just might have to get one now. I also said that if ever he needs to sell it, come to me first.

Everytime I take my 35 to the range I am amazed at the gun.Mine is the SC model with a Weaver 1-3 on it in Leupold rings. I am so glad I have this rifle. It would be the last rifle to leave my house. Iam taking it hunting all next week and hope I run into a shooting size NC black bear on the trip. I am using Hornady Leverolution ammo right now but I will buy 100 cases of Rem brass and start reloading it with corelockts for next year.
Posted By: HogSniper Re: 35 Remington - 12/17/12
Joe..... Can you tell me more about that Handi Rifle?? My first deer gun was a Remington 760 in 35..... Its taken plenty of deer.. All flops..... Been giving alot of thought on building one on a bolt action platform just for fun....

Originally Posted by Joe_S
Its a great round. Killed three deer with a handi rifle chambered in it last year. Furthest one ran was a strictly lung and heart shot. Made it about 20 yards before he fell out. One took about 3 steps on a heart and lung shot and one hit the ground. Im a fan of the core lokts too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have owned a few marlins in 35 but never even hunted with one.
This is a stock off my last one. Beautiful gun!
[Linked Image]

Have since switched to an encore in 358. Hope i dont regret getting rid of the handi.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: 35 Remington - 01/31/13
Joe

I'm not much of a cl fan, but that bullet looks like a winner to me. I have a couple of 35's but have never killed anything with them. One is my loaner rifle and has killed many deer and hogs. Everybody wants to buy it after they use it.
Posted By: Roundup Re: 35 Remington - 01/31/13
Originally Posted by docost99
Anyone using Speer hot-cor 220 gr in their 35 Rem?
Speer 220gr
I just ordered some to try.

My ancient 336 .35 is now in the backup category. I have used Rem Corelokcs in 200 gr. for years. I'm now experimenting with the Speer 220 grainers. Have worked up one load using H-4895.
The load chronos about 2150 but I'm not entirely happy with its accuracy. I think I can improve on that.

Have knocked off elk, mule and blacktails with the stock Remington 200 gr. load.
Posted By: nhFrank Re: 35 Remington - 02/01/13
I have a .35 REM and it loves anything you put down the tube. I rember the old guy I bought it from, said its from 1957 ,I think balard grove ,anyone that shoots this rifle love it I nailed a 180 Ib 7 pointer last year in VT at 40 yards hit it in the neck .it drop down like a hot date on prom night
Posted By: pacecars Re: 35 Remington - 02/03/13
My first rifle was a 336 in .35 Rem. Shot many a deer with it. If I can find a 336D at a good price I will have another one. Also had a NIB Remington 141 but couldn't bring myself to shoot it so I sold it.
Posted By: rem141r Re: 35 Remington - 02/03/13
the 35 with 200gr corelokts has filled my truck a few times with deer. i have a bunch of the old rem pumps in carbine and rifle, 7600 carbine and several marlins including the 336D and 336SS LTD. they are all very accurate and deadly. the newer ones like the hornady LE ammo which is a little easier to find than the factory corelokts these days.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: 35 Remington - 02/12/13
My 336 35 Rem with a 1.5-4.5x Bushnell Sportview scope will put 'em under 1.5" at 100 yds every time and has held its zero for 15 years even with shells with different powders including RL7, 3031 and 4064, all with 200 gr RN. I lost track of which shells were loaded with which powder several years ago and threw them all in a box together. Puts them all in the same group.
Posted By: carrollco Re: 35 Remington - 03/02/13
I agree, the 35 with Rem CoreLokt is deadly. I saw an older Remington ad showing a recovered Remington CoreLokt mushroomed, proclaiming it to be : "The deadliest mushroom in the forest"! I love the round nosed CoreLokt in a variety of calibers.
Posted By: joes64gto Re: 35 Remington - 03/04/13
It doesn`t get much better than a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.Glad we are in agreement about the 200gr CoreLokts.Many deer and hogs have fallen to that round. My 336 is a carbine with half magazine and a Weaver V4.5 scope.Light and short makes it easy to carry and no banging the barrel when in a tight stand. Lots of rifles stay at home in the safe when you own one of these. Only one I have that I feel the same about is a Ruger Compact in 308Win that is scoped the same.
Joe
Posted By: Links99 Re: 35 Remington - 03/10/13
Don't want to take away on someone else's thread but looking for suggested powders and bullets to use in the 35 Rem. Bought a 336 SC last fall shot a few factory rounds through it and did very well. Also suggestions on reloading dies??? Should I crimp? only neck size?? Thanks
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 35 Remington - 03/10/13
Rem 200gr core-lokt RN and H4895 - 38.5grs

I use RCBS FL dies and I crimp with a Lee FCD
Posted By: jbmi Re: 35 Remington - 03/10/13
Bought my new 35rem 336 back in Oct. 1967. K-Mart was running a special on them $67. Ate up most of a weeks pay, but love the rifle, son has it now.
A few years later added a Redfield 4X wideview with see through rings, it still wears that too.
Great rifle.
Posted By: Gregoriev Re: 35 Remington - 03/21/13
I bought a Marlin 336 last year after deer season.... we'll see how she shoots whenever we can get rid of this snow. Someone tell Mother Nature it is spring, .... please???
Posted By: Aldon Re: 35 Remington - 03/26/13
I run 37.5 gr IMR8028 with Hornady RN 200gr and 35.4 gr IMR8028 with Hornady 200gr FTX. The latter load is good for.5moa all day,not that its a target gun but it allows me confidence to shoot way out there if I need to.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: 35 Remington - 03/29/13
Years ago, this older Remington semi-auto in 35 has taken moose and bear in Maine. No problem with killing power.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jericho Re: 35 Remington - 03/29/13
Nice looking rifle Sherwood.
Posted By: RJM Re: 35 Remington - 03/29/13
I bought a nice 336/60s vintage straight stock that had a funky Tasco scope on it... Replaced it with a Weaver base, low rings and a Leupold 1.5-5 scope... Shoots very well....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bullets/ammo wise the below links are the best tests I have seen on the .35 Remington. As to the 220 Speer...way too tough a bullet. My friend drove one into the shoulder of a black bear at 30 yards...at an impact velocity of 2650 fps... Perfect mushroom after driving down throgh the shoulder, lungs, heat and was found expanded against the skin of the chest...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Perfect bullet for the short action Remington .350 Mags but unless you want a lot of penetration too much for the .35 Rem...

Bob

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/35remington/factoryloadpart1.html

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/35remington/35rempart2.html
Posted By: fishermen0105 Re: 35 Remington - 03/29/13

Beautiful, I have a 70's 336 I took a nice buck with this year. Good accuracy out to 100 yards.
Posted By: 260SS Re: 35 Remington - 03/30/13
My 1964 Marlin Marauder (lower rifle) with 16 1/4" barrel in .35 Rem is my go to rifle for still hunting. Light, short, and quick handling. A real delight in the woods. The Lawrence leather sling is also 1964 vintage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WiscoHunter Re: 35 Remington - 03/30/13
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by gmsemel

Everytime I take my 35 to the range I am amazed at the gun.Mine is the SC model with a Weaver 1-3 on it in Leupold rings. I am so glad I have this rifle. It would be the last rifle to leave my house. Iam taking it hunting all next week and hope I run into a shooting size NC black bear on the trip. I am using Hornady Leverolution ammo right now but I will buy 100 cases of Rem brass and start reloading it with corelockts for next year.

How do you like the Hornady stuff? I tried the Leverevolution in my 336, but didn't get very good groups for some reason. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this - when I switched to the Federal 200 grain RN the groups tightened right up. It sure is a nice rifle; I'll never part with it. It was one of those "finds" that come out of the blue. I just wandered into a small town gun shop one day and there it was.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: 35 Remington - 04/01/13
Here is a 336 35 Rem that I purchased from Kittery Trading Post, Maine about a year ago. Blue is fantastic for a pre-crossbolt safety model. This one has the gold colored trigger. The original wood was in good shape but I opt for the checkered stock and forend for kind of dress-up mode. I purchased the furniture from Midway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have to finish install of the forend and put the front sight back on.

Ken
Posted By: 99LL leverlover Re: 35 Remington - 04/02/13

. I've had 2 Marlins, .35 Rem, that I sold one to a young 21 y.o. lady who just completed Hunter Safety Course looking for a rifle to hunt with 'bout 10 yrs ago.
A friend who knew of her said last fall that she has shot 7-8 deer with it during that time. Man, what luck.
Another woman, early 50's, passed HSC in 2005, sold her a 336 in .35 Rem too. Heard later she to got a deer that year. Haven't heard anything since.
I too, using a Rem.81, .35 rem. 200 grn, shot a deer, day before Thanksgiving in 1980. Nothing with it since.
Would buy another one if a good deal came forth.
Posted By: ned Re: 35 Remington - 04/02/13
Not sure how I lived with out one. I was lucky to pick up a nice Marlin w/gold trigger from the classifieds here a couple of months ago. Mine does favor the Hornady LeverRevolution tipped round. I'll be using on deer and hogs for sure this fall and will be interested to see how they perform.

ned

ps - anyone with a Saddle Ring Carbine in .375 Magnun for sale or trade?
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 35 Remington - 04/04/13
[Linked Image]

Not a Marlin, but by far my favorite NH "ridge rifle". It's crying out for bear this year....

George
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 35 Remington - 04/04/13
grinThe INFAMOUS Amish machinegun grin
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 35 Remington - 04/05/13
wink

It's what I would carry in the 'Dacks.....

George
Posted By: RaystownRon Re: 35 Remington - 04/09/13
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
x

HAHAHA! I've been hearing that for decades from other hunters when I carry my Rem 7600 carbine here in PA. Didn't know it had migrated north to NY. Nothing like 20-25 hunters armed with Rem pumps and Win. levers and with pockets full of doe tags putting on a full frontal assault (deer drive) to wake the dead and fill the freezers. If you haven't experienced this at least once in your life you are the poorer for the omission. shocked

Ron
Posted By: dawgdiesel Re: 35 Remington - 06/10/13
I bought one at a pawn shop back in 92. Can't tell you how many deer I've shot with it. Most all of them dropped or never went far at all. My 18 yr old daughter has claimed "Knockem Down Sally" since she was 13.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 35 Remington - 06/11/13
Originally Posted by RaystownRon
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
x

HAHAHA! I've been hearing that for decades from other hunters when I carry my Rem 7600 carbine here in PA. Didn't know it had migrated north to NY. Nothing like 20-25 hunters armed with Rem pumps and Win. levers and with pockets full of doe tags putting on a full frontal assault (deer drive) to wake the dead and fill the freezers. If you haven't experienced this at least once in your life you are the poorer for the omission. shocked

Ron
Here in NY the 760 is widely known as the "Amish machine gun" and Win./Marlin levers are "redneck AK-47's".
Posted By: YotaTRD4x4 Re: 35 Remington - 06/21/13
Man those all look great. I just got a 336 in 35 rem earlier this afternoon. I traded an old 870 wingmaster since I had 2 anyway. It's in pretty good shape. Has a little wear and some freckling where it wasn't oiled regularly. The bore is perfect so I couldn't say no as I am gonna use it anyway. It has black synthetic stocks which is a sin on a levergun but they look and feel good so time will tell if I want wood back on it. Im pretty sure the stock set is the old ramline trail tech stocks as the buttplate has a rams head logo on it. Anyhow it looks pretty good other than the front sight screws are buggered but those are easily swapped out. Now I need to find brass for it. I have looked high and low but can't find any in stock. Hopefully I can aquire 40 or so pieces from somewhere to get me going until the seasonal runs gets some back in stock. I had a 350 rem mag and loved it. Just something about 35 cal makes me smile.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: 35 Remington - 06/21/13
Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4
I had a 350 rem mag and loved it. Just something about 35 cal makes me smile.

I know exactly how you feel. That's why I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem., A "pre '81" BLR in .358 Win., and Rem. 700 Classics in .350 Rem. Mag. and .35 Whelen.
Posted By: YotaTRD4x4 Re: 35 Remington - 06/21/13
Yeah I wish I would have kept my Ruger MKII in 350 mag. Nice stainless synthetic that shot very well with the hornady 250 round nose. I still don't know why I went weak and sold it. I have a 61 or 62 Marlin. Not sure as online says June of 61 to 62 so it could be either year. I have a rem 700 in 7mm Roy that will become a 350 mag once the barrel goes south. I think the only issue with my ruger was too short mag box so I had to seat 250s deep. In a long action I think it would work much better with heavy bullets. Now I just need to pickup another Marlin levergun. I have a 45-70 back down south at my dads but I basically gave it to him since he always wanted one and never bought one. Maybe I will go for 338mx or maybe a 45-70 again.
Posted By: rem141r Re: 35 Remington - 06/22/13
i love the 35's. i got a bunch of 35 rems, a 350 mag, a 358 win and a 35 whelen. all sledgehammers on deer.
Posted By: YotaTRD4x4 Re: 35 Remington - 06/22/13
Yeah I thought about 35 whelen for the rem 700 when the barrel wears out but easier to go 350 since its a mag already no boltface mods and my 700 has been trued blueprinted, etc so its pretty much as good as a rem 700 can get minus a match barrel
Posted By: rem141r Re: 35 Remington - 06/22/13
ya thats a good call. the 350 mag has definite cool factor and a short action. i have a rem 600 350 that i bought about 10 years ago. i saw one in the early 70's when i was just a kid and wanted one ever since. very cool and very, very effective.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 35 Remington - 09/12/13
great 35 info

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/35remington/35rempart2.html
Posted By: mrchongo Re: 35 Remington - 10/02/13
Since last year when I posted about my Remington Model 14, I have acquired not one, but two Marlin 336's in .35 Remmy! Both are JM's with no cross-bolt safeties. One I believe was unfired until I broke it in. The other has had many rounds down the pipe and has the sweetest trigger you could ask for. I'm still loading RL7, but have picked up some H4198 and refreshed my supply of H4895 to diversify a little with 200gr Sierra and Hornady RNs. I'll let you know how the loads work out.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: 35 Remington - 10/14/13
Ive been searching for some 35 CL to try since this thread was started. Nothing so far, just HornadyLE.

On a side note I used to make fun of people and their 760's and the like, just figured they were crap and couldnt put 3 in the same target. One day my long time bud bought onefor pennies and we took it to the range. It had been carried to hell and back, but.........that sob would put group after group inside an inch. I came away enlightened and jelous. Anyone got one to sell?

Posted By: jt402 Re: 35 Remington - 10/14/13
Likewise my 760 story. I once bought a beater in ,223, just because I had never seen one. Sub 3/4" was the norm with factory 55SP. This was in my gun of the week period. It went as did a lot of other fine shooting rifles. Jack
Posted By: mvill Re: 35 Remington - 10/25/13
Lucked into one years back and love it.
© 24hourcampfire