Home
Posted By: 444Matt Got any leads? - 02/19/13
Looking for a solid Marlin 30-30 that wont break the bank. 336,30as,Glenfiel,JC Higgins it doesnt matter as long as it is CT made and D&T on top.

Thanks guys

Matt
Posted By: achildofthesky Re: Got any leads? - 02/22/13
Matt:

I don't have a lead but a thought or 2 if you like. I too prefer Ct made Marlins but for a shooter/"beater" I'd consider a Remarlin and rework it as needed. Politics aside (although do witness the azzhatted gov of Ct wanting to ban a lot of gun related things, as bad or worse than NY state douchebaggery) they are not unsafe and I have smoothed one up. It was snug but the worst thing I could say about it is that It felt a bit "gritty". a bit of polishing and it is noticeably smoother.

It took little more time than the actual detail strip and it was instructive to the son in law (his birthday gift from his wife) as to how things work in a levergun. Something he will always now have forever. The gun shoots every bit as good as most marlins I have shot (they seem to like 170 gr bullets by the way, but you likely may have experienced that) and as it was a gift it is something he will keep and pass on to one of the grandkids.

Recently I have purchased 2 Marlin 336y's (2002&2004 serial #dates) I don't need them so much as want them and they were a fair bit more than a Remarlin but I liked the Walnut rather than "hardwood" stocks and it saved me from having to cut Marvin. One has been fired atleast a few times the otheer I am not sure it has been fired outside the factory. one is snug (not bad just really new), the other just a bit smoother but both still needing either a thousand rounds of firing and cycling to get the glassy smooth cycling of Marvin or my 1895 LTD III.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/35702-yet-another-look-what-i-found-thread.html

Anyway, you might try an ad on Armslist.com for your area and specify your needs. I have found guns there as wll the local paper where I have placed wanted ad's with a good deal of success too.

Be safe and good luck in your hunt
Patty
© 24hourcampfire