Home
Posted By: kciH Williams or Lyman? - 03/19/15
I've been shooting my fathers old 36G a bit recently and am not too keen on the factory sights. I would like to add a receiver sight. I'm pretty familiar with the Williams, as I have a few on other rifles, but have no experience with the current Lyman. Which of those two do you prefer, and are there others that are currently produced? Do the target knob versions of the Williams stay put with field use?
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Williams or Lyman? - 03/19/15
I got a Williams because it was lighter and cheaper. I got an elevation knob too, you have a screw on the sight to adjust clamping pressure on the elevation slide but the knob itself is too big, to these eyes, to put on such slim, quick rifle. If the Williams with a big aperture didn't give such a great sight picture with the fine bead fiber optic front sight I'd take it off too.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Williams or Lyman? - 03/19/15
Lyman is the best, but they cost more than a Williams . If cost is factor then the Williams will work fine.
Posted By: kciH Re: Williams or Lyman? - 03/19/15
The Lyman looks better in that it's made of steel, but all of the little slide deals that mark the zero look like something that could come loose and fall off without some attention. Do the little screws stay put? It looks like about a $30 difference in cost, so it's pretty much a moot point when considering "optics"
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Williams or Lyman? - 03/19/15
The current Lymans are not all steel and are a far cry from the older Lymans which were excellent. I will not be buying any more of the newer Lymans after getting a couple of lemons. Both had lots of wobble in the sight with all the screws tight. The newer Williams seem to be very solid, but have more sharp edges than the older ones. Bottom line is that you are better off buying an older Lyman or Williams.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Williams or Lyman? - 06/02/15
I'd find a vintage Lyman.
Posted By: RGK Re: Williams or Lyman? - 06/15/15
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I'd find a vintage Lyman.

This. Go with an older, steel Lyman. Gonna cost you, though.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Williams or Lyman? - 06/16/15
Another option is the tiny Williams that uses the scope base holes, WGRS I think it's called. Very neat and tidy.

Another classier option is the Skinner. Not easy to adjust, but solid and well made. 'Bout a C-note.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Williams or Lyman? - 06/25/15
Vintage, go Lyman or Redfield. The new Lymans tend to be sloppy.

New, Williams - the click adjustable one, with or without finger knobs. The 5D is too cumbersome to adjust.

Jack
Posted By: kciH Re: Williams or Lyman? - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Another option is the tiny Williams that uses the scope base holes, WGRS I think it's called. Very neat and tidy.

Another classier option is the Skinner. Not easy to adjust, but solid and well made. 'Bout a C-note.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I'll keep my eyes open for a vintage Lyman or Redfield. I use the WGRS on a few rifles, usually something I don't want to adjust the sights on very often. That Skinner looks sufficiently robust, I'd imagine you need to put a taller front sight on with that one?
© 24hourcampfire