Home
Posted By: Flfiremedic Pre-safety 336 - 03/11/16
Had a pre safety 336 follow me home. The buckhorn rear site is shot...so am replacing with an XS ghost ring...a local smith will replace all the springs and the follower. He will also do a trigger and action job.
I'm wondering about an older style reblueing job, and maybe stippling the shines varnish off and redoing the stocks in a satin or oil finish...thoughts? Anything I'm leaving out?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Pre-safety 336 - 03/11/16

springs & slickin' up a Marlin are purty easy....

go to 'Marlin Owners' & do some reading...

your pre safety 336 should be slick.......
Posted By: pal Re: Pre-safety 336 - 03/11/16
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
Had a pre safety 336 follow me home. The buckhorn rear site is shot...so am replacing with an XS ghost ring...a local smith will replace all the springs and the follower. He will also do a trigger and action job.
I'm wondering about an older style reblueing job, and maybe stippling the shines varnish off and redoing the stocks in a satin or oil finish...thoughts? Anything I'm leaving out?

Why put so much work and money into a rifle that will wind up with little value?
Posted By: Flfiremedic Re: Pre-safety 336 - 03/11/16
It's found a forever home...might as well make it right.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pre-safety 336 - 03/11/16
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
It's found a forever home...might as well make it right.
Woulda been cheaper to just buy a good one from the start. It ain't like pre safety 336's in good shape are real hard to find. I saw several of them at a gun show last weekend. Why are you replacing the springs and follower ? I've got a 1976 Marlin, a 1949 Win 94 and a 1979 Win. 94 with all the original springs intact and they all work perfectly.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Pre-safety 336 - 03/12/16
Let us know how it goes. I think if you want slick her up go for it. I refinished some stocks this winter it was fun. Especially stripping down the Glenfield and getting to the blond birchwood. If your gonna use it make it what you want! They can't all be factory museum pieces. Just imagine the world without boob jobs.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: Pre-safety 336 - 04/01/16
Sounds like a plan to me! I recently acquired a Western Tool Supply Revelation - a Marlin. A replacement brass blade up front, a peep in the back, some new springs and away we go!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Pre-safety 336 - 04/02/16
I have a pre-safety 336 in .45-70, a real slick gun.

I installed a Wild West trigger kit, really like it.

DF
© 24hourcampfire