Home
Any experience with this sight? I'm thinking of mounting one on my 336 .30-30.

Many thanks.
I wouldn't pick one over an XS.
Posted By: EdM Re: Williams WGRS Aperture Sight - 05/27/16
I have had one for years on my old Ruger 44 Carbine with zero issues. Dial it in, Loctite the screws and forget about it.
Steely,
Is the big aperture and front blade on the XS ok on 150-200 yard shots?

Many thanks.
You can get smaller apertures if you want. I've never had a problem.

This is offhand at 100

I've run it to 750 yards shooting at mooring buoys (about 3' in diameter.) Did well enough to sink a few.

[Linked Image]
You little scamp.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Many thanks durability of the XS.
Like Steelhead, I've figured out that nothing is lost and a lot is gained with the big aperture. Center is center in a big circle or small one and the eye always puts the blade in the center. The bigger hole is faster and let's you see the blade or bead better and that is what you need. It might matter for real honest to goodness target shooting but for normal shooting, bigger is better.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Williams WGRS Aperture Sight - 05/31/16
What JoeBob said. I have had two very accurate .22 s equipped with receiver sights. Small apertures for target work, larger for hunting.

Best,

Jack
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Many thanks durability of the XS.

Looks like I forgot some words.

Many thanks. I like the durability of the XS.
Posted By: toad Re: Williams WGRS Aperture Sight - 06/08/16
thanks to this thread, I went with the winged XS

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by toad
thanks to this thread, I went with the winged XS

[Linked Image]

That's sharp
thanks, Bearcat.

the first thing I noticed about the ghost ring sights, is that I can use them easily with my 52 year old eyes when plain ol' irons are getting difficult.

I had a Skinner peep on my 1895G and the front was tough to see but I should have went with a different post thickness. I took the Skinner off and topped it with a m8 2.5x Leupold and love it. I'm considering the XS for one of my 30/30's, one has a 2-7 Leupold and the other a 4x Leupold.
my plan with this rifle was to go with low power scout scope and iron backups.

after using the XS ghost ring, i'll probably leave this as is.

but I also have a Chiappa Kodiak with Skinner peep mounted forward on the barrel. the Skinner sights are well made and nicely finished, but the mounting position on the Kodiak puts the aperature too far from my eye to work well. the 86 is more difficult to get sight mounted near the eye though. not the best picture, but...

[Linked Image]
WGRS is a pain in the a$$ to get sighted in, but stays there once zeroed. I would chose the XS or Skinner as well. Also hard to beat an old Fashioned Williams FP or Lyman older model and 1/16" brass bead or Redfield Sourdough front.
© 24hourcampfire