Home
Do your 336s like it? I have a 1980 MicroGroove. It did not shoot it well at all.

Expat
try both the 140s and 160s. Mine like the 160s.
I have a Savage 340 in 30.30 that loves the 140's.
My 94 likes the 160's, but hates the Federal Fusion stuff.
my 336 SDT with the 16.5" barrel does not. it likes the 170 CL's the best which is fine by me.
I reload the FTX 160 gr and it does fine in my 30-30. Killed several deer with them and no problems.

Never shot the factory loads, so I dont know how they would work.
Tried the LeverEvolution 160's in my 1991 Marlin Microgroove and they were just so-so. My only hunting use of the 30-30 is for a woods gun so being able to extend my range doesn't matter at thick woods ranges. So then I realized that for those ranges the old traditional 30-30 bullets have been superb for over a century now. If I wanna extend my range with higher ballistic coefficient bullets I have several bolt actions in the safe to choose from. I decided to just stick with the old tried & true traditional 30-30 recipe because for what I use it for it works well.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I reload the FTX 160 gr and it does fine in my 30-30. Killed several deer with them and no problems.

Never shot the factory loads, so I dont know how they would work.

This^^^^^^

Marlin 336 - 1.5" groups @ 100yds. Terminal performance was great, DRT on a buck at about 95yds.
I reloaded some 160 FTX for my 1975 336 with microgroove barrel. They have been very accurate. Don't know how they behave on a deer.
tj
Originally Posted by tjmga
I reloaded some 160 FTX for my 1975 336 with microgroove barrel. They have been very accurate. Don't know how they behave on a deer.
tj

That's what I got, a '75 336 Texan. With the hand loads I get about a 1.5" group at 100yds, which is the best groups I've ever got from the rifle.

Dead is dead, so I cant tell you if it's any better than RN or FN bullets. So far, no deer or hogs have gotten out alive. Besides, I like reloading! smile
© 24hourcampfire