Home
Posted By: ring3 NIB Marlin JM 30/30 value - 10/19/16
I'm thinking of selling a NIB Marlin 30/30. Serial# dates to 2008. I bought it from Cabela's that year. Probably still have the receipt if I look. Paid about $430 IIRC.

It's not been fired other than at the factory. Walnut stocks. In its original box, papers and a lock.

Considering its condition and DOM would it bring a premium? What might it be worth? Hoping someone who watches Marlins closer than I might have some info.

Thanks

Rob
Posted By: rem141r Re: NIB Marlin JM 30/30 value - 10/19/16
in my part of PA you'd probably about break even on a private sale and maybe even lose a few bucks. gun store would offer you maybe 275. most folks who buy those around here don't know the difference between REM and JM guns. if i was looking for a later model 336, i'd pay about 400 for it. if i was listing it, i'd ask 500 to leave some wiggle room.
Posted By: ring3 Re: NIB Marlin JM 30/30 value - 10/20/16
Thanks for the info. I wondered if the pre Rem Marlins were a hot item. With so many out there I guess not so much. I'll probably list it as you suggest soon.

Rob
Posted By: 444Matt Re: NIB Marlin JM 30/30 value - 10/20/16
I'd bet you could sell it on marlin owners.com for $450 no problem.
I'm not sure what you would get on Marlin Owners, but I can tell you the market is soft on lots of gun models currently. Good luck on your sale.
Plus 1 to what Cariboujack said. IMO the longer Remington keeps on improving the quality the less JM models are worth.
if it were a pre safety vintage it would bring a premium an MO.
but the later models will bring just about what has been stated.
if REM continues to put out the 336c in the condition i have been working on they will kill the market for 336's.
one i worked on for a friend had a 15.5 lb trigger pull that felt like dragging backhoe teeth across concrete.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: NIB Marlin JM 30/30 value - 10/27/16
This isn't what you want to hear, but ...

The guns within a year or two of transition, in either direction, were not great. The current ones I've handled and shot seem on par with the pre-transition, pre-problem rifles.

A round barreled .30-30 is a round barreled .30-30. There's nothing special about them. I would not pay extra for pre-transition. Moreover, if I was having to pay as much as full retail, I'd just go buy a new gun from a gun shop. ... 'cause it's just a round barreled .30-30, nothing special.

Tom
Posted By: 444Matt Re: NIB Marlin JM 30/30 value - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm not sure what you would get on Marlin Owners, but I can tell you the market is soft on lots of gun models currently. Good luck on your sale.

You have a point! The current owners of that site have totally ruined what was one of my favorite places on the net.
© 24hourcampfire