Home
Posted By: Jason280 Interesting Marlin... - 02/03/17
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, been looking for a straight stocked 336 for a while. I had a Texan for a very short period of time, but ended up giving it back to the original owner.

This one is a Marlin 30TK, straight stock with 18.5" barrel and shortened magazine tube. Best I can tell, they were sold through K-Mart from '89-'93, and only about 5600 were manufactured. Serial number on this one indicates 1989, and is in really good condition. Only real negative is the cross-bolt safety, but that's not too big of an issue.

Can't wait to find a small compact scope and start working up a load, should make a great little hunting rifle!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Interesting Marlin... - 02/03/17
Very popular model over on Marlinowners. Made for Kmart. Leupold vx-1 1-4x would be perfect.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Interesting Marlin... - 02/03/17

nice score.....another good scope....Weaver 1-3x20...

Amazon $165.....
Nice snag....the Weaver 1X3 is an excellent choice as Tikkanut previously posted.

Doc
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Interesting Marlin... - 02/03/17
I'll have to check out the Weaver 3x, I have a few of there 4x and 6x fixed power scopes.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Interesting Marlin... - 02/03/17

Amazon is cheapest......

good Jap glass.........
That's a nice rifle. I remember the Glenfield 30TK but I didn't know Marlin made those with the post 1983 safety. And, I'll second the motion for the Weaver 1-3X.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Interesting Marlin... - 02/04/17
Very nice! And they are a big hit on Marlinowners.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Interesting Marlin... - 02/04/17
I've been looking at a few of the 1-3x online, and I am actually debating on simply using the extra Vortex 1-4x I have in the shop. Its a 1-4x, but 30mm tube...not sure if it will be too heavy for the rifle.
Posted By: weagle Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/01/17
Nice. I have one I had rebored to .375 win. I've owned a bunch of Marlins, but it's my favorite. Mine has an old Japanese Bushnell Banner 2.5 Post and Crosshair scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/02/17
In my mind that sweet little rifle would lose all of its handiness with a hunk of glass mounted on it. Were it mine I would stick a tang sight or a receiver sight on it first and give it a workout. After all, a long range sniper rifle it ain't. At bayonet range in thick woods a big aperture would be the t*ts, or even, gasp, the original barrel sights.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/02/17
I wish I could post a photo of my TK. The blonde wood underneath that faux stain is wonderful!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/02/17
Couple minutes and an O-Ring,you can defeat that cross bolt safety.

Remove the safety, go to your friendly hardware store and purchase an "O" ring that fits the grove in the safety. After reinstalling the safety, slip the "O" ring over the left end. This will prevent the safety from being applied accidentally.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/02/17
These are cool little rifles! A local store has had one for a long time that's in bad shape. I wish I could find a nice one.
Posted By: DBrink Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/11/17
I still have one and I think Angus1895 was the recipient of the other that I had. I think they are about as handy as it gets.

Posted By: Jason280 Re: Interesting Marlin... - 03/12/17
As uncommon as these rifles are, I actually lucked into a second one yesterday. This one is also a "11" serial number prefix, indicating 1989 year of manufacture. Its not in quite as good condition, but should clean up to around 80% or so. Wood definitely needs to be refinished, but should make a great hunting rifle!

I'll post a few pics once I get home.
The compact V3 Weaver is a great fit for the old straight stocked carbines:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Interesting Marlin... - 04/16/17

yep...Weaver 1-3x20 fits purfect.....

2005 Marlin 1894 SS 44 mag......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Interesting Marlin... - 04/18/17
Nothing wrong with that.....Or a Leupold 1-4

I'm eyeballing a 30TK for getting right on $....Be fun to work up a load with some Barnes 30-30 150s and let it pretend it's a 444, with half the recoil.;)
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/08/17
This fairly rare carbine was also sold through Western Auto Stores.

Sherwood
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/08/17
I mounted a Simmons 2-7X scope on my 30-30 carbine and love it!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/13/17
These rifles beg for a Leupold 1-4 or 1.5.-5.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/13/17
Originally Posted by Sherwood
This fairly rare carbine was also sold through Western Auto Stores.

Sherwood

I remember them being sold at K-Mart.
Posted By: g5m Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/13/17
Nice Marlins !
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/15/17
Originally Posted by tikkanut

yep...Weaver 1-3x20 fits purfect.....

2005 Marlin 1894 SS 44 mag......

[Linked Image]

I like that. I regret selling the one I had.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/15/17
Originally Posted by weagle
Nice. I have one I had rebored to .375 win. I've owned a bunch of Marlins, but it's my favorite. Mine has an old Japanese Bushnell Banner 2.5 Post and Crosshair scope.

[Linked Image]

You've got a nice one there. I like that caliber. I've settled with 35 Remington and 45-70 will do what I need. But that is a good caliber.
Posted By: weagle Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/22/17
Thanks, I love a .35 rem also. I've found that the .375 puts the whack on deer like the .35 rem does but seems to have less recoil in a light lever gun. The 30TK is the perfect platform for the .375.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Interesting Marlin... - 05/24/17
Dang! I want one of those! Fun looking rifles. How about range reports on how they shoot.
© 24hourcampfire