Home
I received my 336 back in the mail yesterday that I had sent off to have the barrel shortened to "spike horn" dimensions, threaded for suppressor use, action job, and youth stock set installed. Everything looked pretty nice, got excited to go put a few rounds through it, and the suppressor doesn't thread on. They threaded it 1/2x28 instead of 5/8x24 as requested. I double checked the emails and the invoice to ensure I didn't mistakenly ask for 1/2" threads, I didn't.

Not real happy right now. Am I out of line to ask for a refund for the barrel work labor, since they did not perform what was asked, and for them to purchase me a new mount so I can use my .30 cal suppressor with 1/2 threads?
You're not out of line to ask for a new barrel.

new mount and labor refund is a negotiated end.

You need to get what you asked and paid for.
Can they make you an adapter?
I wouldn't run ANYTHING .308 (or even anything bigger than 223) on a 1/2x thread, period. It's beyond dumb that it was even considered by them, IMO. JMO....yes, new barrel.
They do make 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapters, several places make them. Silencer Co also makes a 1/2x28 thread mount I could buy for the Omega.

My main concern is the barrel thickness between the bore and the bottom of the threads. Seems pretty thin for .30 cal. I've got a call and an email out to Silencer Co inquiring about a min spec for this.
That's the issue: < .19"
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
That's the issue: < .19"

Pressure at that distance is very low, especially considering the .30-30's operating pressure. A .223 for example drops from 55KPSI to 5.7KPSI at 20".

Still, I'd have them make good because it is not what you ordered.
I wonder if the margins change once a suppressor is installed and there's added weight and any backpressure?
One has a pretty good case if all instructions are in writing. Pays to check the specs when work if of a permanent nature.
Are you sure there was enough barrel diameter to thread to 5/8" and have a shoulder for the muzzle device to tighten against?
Originally Posted by Kp321
Are you sure there was enough barrel diameter to thread to 5/8" and have a shoulder for the muzzle device to tighten against?

shouldn't matter . machinist should have at least communicated that fact and asked if 1/2 was acceptable.
i would shoot it and see how it does then decide on another barrel or not. the dynamics of this barrel have changed so that would be my starting point.
© 24hourcampfire