Home
Posted By: leftycarbon Glennfield 30-30 - 12/07/17
Looking at a very nice Glennfield 30-30. Pistol grip, 1/2 magazine, and really nice wood. Anything to watch out for?

Looks identical to a 336.

Lefty
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Deer falling after you pull the trigger, the only difference is the quality of the wood!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Buy it!!!!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Looking at a very nice Glennfield 30-30. Pistol grip, 1/2 magazine, and really nice wood. Anything to watch out for?

Looks identical to a 336.

Lefty

Buy it...NOW. I have one and it's the most accurate 30-30 I have ever owned. I went through 5 to find this one...and it's a keeper. I did free float the forearm and relieve the end cap from touching the barrel.

The 1/2 or 2/3 magazine 336 rifles just shoots better.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Will get it tomorrow. $280.00. Not going to negotiate the price either.

LC
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Will get it tomorrow. $280.00. Not going to negotiate the price either.

LC

Great price on the Glenfield. Curious if the rifle your after has the pressed checkering or plain stocks birch stocks?
Posted By: jt402 Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Mine is uncheckerred birch. I like it so much that I bought presentation grade walnut from an old Marlin hand for mine. The wood cost more than the rifle. One of these days I may get around to fitting it. But it is here and not eating anything.

The day that I bought mine (about five years ago), the pawn shop had two G30s on the rack, both at steal prices. I should have taken both. I replaced the cheap scope with a period Weaver 3X, but I have a lighter Leupold M8 3X to finish it out.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/08/17
Doc.

The wood on this one is uncheckered and has a fair amount of grain. Looks like walnut. I think

Going to get it shortly.

Lefty
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/09/17
Doc.

The wood on this one is uncheckered and has a fair amount of grain. Looks like walnut. I think

Going to get it shortly.

Lefty

The wood should be birch, maybe your NEW rifle has a walnut stain application. I scoped mine with a VX3 1.5X5 with Tally "Extra" lows. A perfect combination ...IMO.

I have 4 loads worked up for my Marlin model 30 and don't have to adjust the scope except for a hunting load using the Remington 30-30 170 gr core-lokt and Hodgdon "LVR" powder which impacts 5 inches high. My rifle also is scary accurate using CFE223 and the Sierra 125 gr HP.

Just be sure to use a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole for the magazine tube ( removes upward binding pressure) also remove some metal along the sides of the end cap so prevent any barrel contact.

$280.00 for a Glenfield is a STEAL... Merry Christmas to yourself.
Posted By: Scorpion8 Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/28/17
The wood on this one is uncheckered and has a fair amount of grain. Looks like walnut. I think. Going to get it shortly.

Pics needed. The major issue to watch out for with Glenfields is letting the news out and someone beating you to it. At that price, I would have gladly added (yet) another .30-30 to my collection of Marlin leverguns.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 12/29/17
If I can condense pics I would love to share how cool the birch looks when stripped to lone color.

How can one condense photos on an I pad?

In my opinion unless I got a waffle top marlin in my hand, I prefer the glenfield.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 01/01/18
Went back to get and was gone..........Said someone put it on layaway right after I left the shop.

Oh well will find another.

Lety
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 01/01/18
Went back to get and was gone..........Said someone put it on layaway right after I left the shop.

Oh well will find another.

Lety

There was a Glenfield posted in the classifieds last week for $675.00. The rifle was pristine yet IMO I have not seen a Glenfield sell for that much $$.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Glennfield 30-30 - 01/02/18
That was my glen field.

Jim Brock man had done trigger work and slicked up the action.

It also has a pristine vintage scope.

It is on gunbroker now. I am trying to sell it because the next thing will be sling studs added..........or she will sit in a safe until sold. Sad thing for such a nice piece! She can shoot!

But I am kinda like the confederate railroad song. I like my glenfields a little on the trashy side.

I prefer the birch wood stamped. I refinish the wood blonde and stain the checkering black! I hope to be able to post pics soon.
© 24hourcampfire