Home
Posted By: Odessa Still waiting - 04/03/09
Sold my M1895 last week to a collector (it is one of the LTD-IV limited run rifles from about 10 years ago). It is a nice rifle, just too light for my tastes for shooting full power 45/70 loads (no checkering and no pistol grip stock). I ordered the standard blued M1895 Marlin's from one of the local dealers (the distributor has them in stock). Been over a week, the distributor is so slammed with ammo orders that they are backed up over a week just to package and ship. I hope it comes in tomorrow; I want to mount the scope and take it out to the range on Saturday.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Still waiting - 04/03/09
Just got the call - it's here (hope it has nice wood).
Posted By: juliang Re: Still waiting - 04/03/09
Good luck with it man, I am a new 45-70 owner and glad to be in the club. I have a 35 Rem arriving next week, I know how you feel!
Posted By: Odessa Re: Still waiting - 04/03/09
Thanks! I have just spent the last couple of hours out in my shop "piddlin" with the new rifle. It has some decent figure in the wood - not outstanding, but not bad either. The checkering is decently done too, no chips or gouges in it, bluing is even, overall it is quite handsome. I installed a Weaver Grand Slam steel dovetail base and a set of Weaver Grand Slam medium rings on the rifle and mounted the Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 matte scope I had bought from a Campfire member in January in preparation for putting this rig together. I plan to shoot on Tuesday afternoon using some 405 grain handloads I had made up for my previous M1895. I have great expectations, will post my results here when I get it sighted in.
© 24hourcampfire