Home
Posted By: rufous 1895 SBL ? - 08/02/10
I have never owned a lever gun but am interested in getting a new Marlin 1895 SBL. I have a question though- can this gun be easily broken down in order to clean the bore from the chamber end? If so how does one do that? Thanks, Rufous.
Posted By: acesandeights Re: 1895 SBL ? - 08/02/10
It's the same as any of the other Marlins (336, 444, 1895).

Put it on SAFE, remove ammo
Open the lever half-way, revove the lever screw and lever, remove the breech bolt. The ejector will become loose, do NOT lose it. Remove the ejector and clean the rifle from the breech end.
Posted By: rufous Re: 1895 SBL ? - 08/02/10
So is the barrel still attached to the butt stock? If so how does one get a long cleaning rod down the bore? I would ideally like to remove the barrel from the butt stock for proper bore cleaning. That way no solvents would get into areas I do not want them to be.
"So is the barrel still attached to the butt stock?"

I'm confused.
I meant to say is the barrel still attached to the action after taking the various steps that you mentioned. Again what I hope to be able to do is to remove the barrel from the action so that I can easily clean the bore from the chamber end.
Yeah, the barrel is still attached. What I described just removes the bolt so you can access the action and barrel from the rear.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: 1895 SBL ? - 08/02/10
There is a company, maybe in Alaska, that builds them into takedowns. Or look into a Browning BLR takedown.
I think I am understanding. Having never owned a lever action it was confusing to me about removing the bolt but if I understand correctly now once the bolt is removed one could insert a cleaning rod guide and just clean from the rear like one would do with a bolt action gun. Is that right?
Exactly right.
Thanks so much for setting me straight on that.
© 24hourcampfire