Home
Posted By: Reloder28 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 08/19/10
For general purpose what barrel length would you go with? I see 18' & 24's. Are ther any 20" models out there? I am considering mostly the Marlin unless I can find a good ole 1866.
Posted By: Odessa Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 08/19/10
The basic 45/70 (standard) Marlin is the Model 1895, (blue steel/checkered walnut), 22" round barrel with Ballard rifling. I love mine, had a M1895 LTD-IV for 8 years, but sold it to buy the standard model (I like a pistol grip stock for heavy loads).
Posted By: wyliec Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 08/20/10
I'm drooling over the STP - 16.25" barrel and pistol grip stock. I've had a standard 1895 (22" barrel) for many years.
22" seems to balance and shoot pretty nicely for me.
Posted By: Fischer Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 08/20/10
I came within a gnat's eyelash of buying one of the short ported jobs (444P) yesterday - handled it for a solid half hour before deciding against it. When I got home, I got my 444s and 1895ss out and did a mental comparison. I don't think the 3.5" shorter barrel makes it handle perceptibly better; in fact, the 22" rifles felt slightly more balanced to me. The carbines do look cool though and that's probably reason enough to own one.
I just got a Guide Gun about 4 months ago, really like the shorter barrel on that one. I originally wanted the 22" barrel, but liked the way the Guide Gun felt when I handled them both. Best thing you can do is handle both and see what you prefer.
Posted By: Fischer Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 08/20/10
Or get one of each...
Posted By: Fischer Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 08/22/10
I'm going to take my own advice. I keep looking at MontanaMarine's GBL and now I don't think I can live without one. I just put up my best S&W 1006 for sale to finance this latest obsession...
Posted By: Mike_S Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 10/02/10
Didn't Browning make a lightweight 86 with a 20 inch barrel?
Originally Posted by Fischer
I'm going to take my own advice. I keep looking at MontanaMarine's GBL and now I don't think I can live without one. I just put up my best S&W 1006 for sale to finance this latest obsession...

Sounds like 'Marlinitis' is flarin' up. There's only one way to get through it.......grin

The GBL with 18" bbl and full length magazine balances pretty much the same as my old standard 1895 with 22" bbl and half-magazine.

I wouldn't fret bbl length too much on the 45-70. Get what ever your feeling for. The 45-70 doesn't really do it's thing with high velocity anyway, and the expansion ratio of a straight-walled low pressure round doesn't gain a lot of speed from extra barrel anyway. Couple that with low BC bullets, and well, you get the idea.

Probably the biggest reason to go long bbl ,on a 45-70 is to gain sight radius, as in the Sharps and rolling blocks, set up with the long range sights.

Posted By: eh76 Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 10/05/10
I would like several but I only have a 1895 XLR and I love it for my hunting!
I like my long 26" barrel for four main reasons:
muzzle energy
Traditional look
Accuracy
Full length mag holds 9+1 rounds of .45-70
How many T-rex's are you allowed to shoot in one outing, JR Maley? added the grin to let ya know I was funnin' ya.
Why do you think there are no T-Rexs.. grin
Half a box of ammo hanging under the bore should steady the rifle up good for shooting, once you recover from the coronary of carrying it around. wink
Posted By: Otter Re: 45-70 Lever Barrel Length? - 10/08/10
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Half a box of ammo hanging under the bore should steady the rifle up good for shooting, once you recover from the coronary of carrying it around. wink

Yup, it does wink.
© 24hourcampfire