Home
Posted By: Tennessee Slimmer forearm for Marlin? - 09/10/10
I have a friend who had the forearm on his 1895 slimmed down and refinished. It feels a lot more like a Winchester, and I like it.

does anyone make replacement wood for these guns with slimmer profiles?
I would like one also if you find any
I installed a set of Brockman's Rifles Laminate stocks on my GG, and the rear stock came with a better comb and a much better recoil pad. The foreend is much like an M94 Winchester in it's profile. But, they are somewhat expensive.

Anyway, it addressed one of my petty complaints of Marlin, that being the too-fat forend. The other minor complaint would be the lever trunion, but there ain't no gettin' around that, and the benefits of the rifle outweigh the small detractions mentioned.
Thanks for the recommendation on Brockman's. I like what they do to these guns.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Slimmer forearm for Marlin? - 09/11/10
A rasp and sand paper?
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
A rasp and sand paper?

A good recommendation. I have seen home-brew reduction jobs that came out looking very nice......but not one of mine.

I've torn enough crap up.

I've got a laminate that I've bedded my .308 in that needs going on a weight-loss program. I may give it one more shot. I still have the original stock... eek
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
A rasp and sand paper?

My exact thought. How hard can that be?
Posted By: Polska Re: Slimmer forearm for Marlin? - 09/12/10
Just get an orbit sander and sand it down. cover the barrel with some tape and the reciever also in case kyou slip and sand it down. Then buy some tru-oil or similar finish and finish it up. you could probably do it all in a few hours
I usually take the wood off before refinishing, but that's me.
Posted By: Otter Re: Slimmer forearm for Marlin? - 09/25/10
Give George a call. He might sell you just a forearm. Good guy and good company to work with. That way you can save the original and trade 'em back if you sell the rifle.

http://www.treebonecarving.com/
It isn't much of a job to take off the wood and skinny it down, as a stockmaker I have done this many time for some of the local cowboys around here..I get about $50 to $75. depending on how finished they want it.
© 24hourcampfire