Home
Posted By: hayman 45-70 for ELK - 11/12/10
Going up to Montana for Elk. Leaving Saturday and will be taking along my 1895CB in 45-70. I am very excited at the oportunity to be able to take the CB along on this hunt. I am also especially excited about the prospect of getting the oportunity of taking an Elk with the 45-70. I love to shoot the 45-70, love to hunt elk, love to shoot my 1895CB, HEY, I am blessed wink
I have taken my share of elk with my trusty .270 and .300WinMag. Now I have a guided hunt that will provide a very good chance of taking an Elk at 200yds or less. I know this because I hunted with this same outfit last year. Same drill. Perfect time to bring out the 1895CB.
Ok, I have not yet started reloading so my question. Should I use the 405 grain heavy bullets manufactured by Remington? Or should I opt for some of the ballistic tip Hornady loads that are a little lighter?
Eddie
Posted By: jim62 Re: 45-70 for ELK - 11/12/10
I have taken Elk with hot 300g Handloads. using the 300g Sierra JHP. The shots were all broadside at nearly 200 yards. Complete penetration and the furthest one traveled about 10 yards.

The Hornady 300g Flex tip ammo should perform about the same.The only problem I see with the Rem 405g factory loads is that they are a bit anemic in terms of velocity as they are low pressure loads for weaker rifles like Trapdoors, etc.

I would use the load that shoots the best for you in terms of accuracy. Putting either bullet in the VITALS matters more than bullet weight or speed.

Slip either one right behind a Bull's shoulder and he is going to go down.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: 45-70 for ELK - 11/12/10
You're leaving for MT tomorrow, and just now working up a load for the intended rifle?

You should probably go with whatever load you've been shooting, and are familiar with.
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: 45-70 for ELK - 11/12/10
If you've been shooting the Remingtons then keep right on with it. That 405 gr load has been around since the beginning,for a reason....
Posted By: Boomy Re: 45-70 for ELK - 11/12/10
I can tell you that the Leverevolutions are running hot. I've shot Rem 405s out of my guide gun and it's like nothing. Tried LE's for my elk trip and you can feel'er kick.
Posted By: Tonk Re: 45-70 for ELK - 11/13/10
I certainly would NOT change horses in the middle of the stream, as YOU could get all wet. I would as advised by others, use what you brought to the dance, the 405 Remmy's will get the job done in spades, especially in the dark timber where shots are shorter as a general rule.....Good Luck!
Posted By: SuperTodd Re: 45-70 for ELK - 03/13/11
So did you take an elk- and what bullet did you end up using?
Posted By: 8mmwapiti Re: 45-70 for ELK - 03/13/11
Originally Posted by SuperTodd
So did you take an elk- and what bullet did you end up using?

You may want to try a Personal message to try and wake up this old thread. I am curious as well.

8mmwapiti
Posted By: SuperTodd Re: 45-70 for ELK - 03/13/11
pm sent
© 24hourcampfire