Home
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Big Horn Armory - 11/25/10
Anyone handle/shoot the Big Horn Armory Model 89? If so thoughts on it.
Posted By: model70man Re: Big Horn Armory - 11/25/10
I haven't seen one up close and personal but I keep wondering why they don't make it in .348 unless it is not an exact copy of the Model 71. That would breathe new life into the .348 and maybe ammunition would be easier to obtain. Anyway, they look like great rifles and I wish I had one. Remember, if you don't want to search for and drag a deer, use a .348! Thanks...Bill.
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Big Horn Armory - 11/26/10
One reason the Model 89 isn't made in .348 is because the action isn't long enough.

The Model 89 action is mid-size, sort of a cross between a Model 92 and a Model 71/86.

Posted By: Mak Re: Big Horn Armory - 11/28/10
According to my sources, the BHA action is a composite of the long and short Winchester actions. It is designed specifically for the 500 S&W full length cartridge.
Ultimately, one wonders exactly what the point is. While in my opinion, the 500 S&W makes a better levergun cartridge than a handgun cartridge, it is still overshadowed by at least three traditional designs and wildcats. The .50 Alaskan is more powerful, and can be had for a comparable price.
Posted By: Al1 Re: Big Horn Armory - 12/25/10
are they aviable yet?
Posted By: GAP243 Re: Big Horn Armory - 02/05/11
Been looking at the carbine version in 500 S&W mag, would wonders on hogs here in Texas. I'm with Mak on that it would be better in the levergun than a handgun. Talked to the guys at Bighorn Armory and was told it would be about a 6 month delivery on it. This was about 2 months ago, been saving up ever since.
© 24hourcampfire